Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CD Fridge for kid access: French Door or Side By Side?

Posted by melissat99 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 15:32

Am considering adding refrigerator drawers to the primary cooking zone in our new kitchen, which has me reconsidering the the kitchens main fridge, as I would like for my kids (3 & 5) to be able to get themselves snacks, etc. out of the fridge. We also do use the freezer a fair amount, and have a separate (small) standalone upright freezer that will live in the garage, so will have overflow storage / storage for large horizontal frozen items.

In the past I preferred a french door fridge to a side by side, but back then I did not have kid access to consider or any other options for food storage. So I am starting to think that a side by side may actually work better for our current needs, but am wondering if there are considerations I am missing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CD Fridge for kid access: French Door or Side By Side?

Four door FD fridges with kid stuff in the smaller middle drawer seems perfect for kids old enough to get their own snacks from fridge.

In SxS crisper and meat locker are on bottom.

If you don't have SxS with custom panels and extra long pulls the pulls on standard fridges are kinda high for very little ones and if you do have such a fridge the doors are kinda heavy.

o

We have a side-by-side (a Whirlpool) and our four-year-old can open the fridge to get a drink. (On the other hand, our one-year-old can reach the ice and water dispensers.) The tall handle on the side-by-side means a short person can get it open, with one hand pushing against the freezer side. Lots of fingerprints there.

o

By the way, on our Whirlpool side-by-side, the lowest I can get my hand on the handle is 31.5 inches above the floor.

o

Unlike a side-by-side, the French doors will not shut by themselves. I have a french door refrigerator and we have to be very careful when shutting the doors that they actually shut and stay shut. Sometimes if one door is shut too firmly, the other will pop open and if we don't notice it, it stays open. The fridge has a door alarm, but it is so quiet that you can't hear it if you've left the room and it doesn't work if the door is only slightly ajar. If I had kids, I would go with the side-by-side, for sure.

o

My kids are teens and I'm always harping at them for failing to close the bottom drawer all the way for the FD fridge in the utility room. That's where I keep the frozen microwave lunch stuff like burritos and chicken sandwiches and stuff for them to grab quick and go.
I sure wish there was a loud alarm or something to get their attention. Stuff gets stuck behind/under the drawer or it jams because it's stacked up too full, or many other reasons for it to not sealed closed properly. It only happens once in while now, but I wouldn't let little kids use drawers after this experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here