Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall Oven, Dishwasher, Microwave w/ Vent and Refrigerator

Posted by ribeye (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 15:21

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge about appliances.

I've gone through a few pages of posts but continue to be confused by all of the recommendations, so I figured I'd just post something myself.

We just bought an older (1979) home with an older kitchen. The cooktop is a Viking brand (not sure what model #), and we are looking to renovate the kitchen. The kitchen is a bit on the small side, so in order to save space, we intend to purchase the following:

(1) wall oven (we would like for it to go underneath the cooktop)

(2) microwave w/ vent (that will be used to replace the non-functioning vent that is currently in place)

(3) dishwasher

(4) refrigerator

We would like stainless steel appliances and are looking to spend no more than $5-6K for everything. We are willing to stretch our budget slightly, if necessary, but as we plan on having this be our long-term home, we are looking for reliable appliances that also look good, and that we hopefully won't need to replace in 3 years. Preferably, we'd also the appliances to complement each other (so maybe purchase everything from the same company/same product lines).

Also, as to the wall oven, why is it that most wall ovens we see are electric, v. gas? Secondly, if we have the Viking cooktop, will it be possible to mount an oven underneath the cooktop (we are replacing all of the cabinetry).

Lastly, as to the microwave. Of course, we prefer the dedicated hood v. a microwave w/ a vent. However, given the small size of the kitchen, we want to maximize the space and cabinetry available.

It seems that Bosch and Miele are quite popular here, but given our budget, I'd appreciate everyone's feedback, including where you'd recommend that we buy the appliances from (we are located in Southern California).

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall Oven, Dishwasher, Microwave w/ Vent and Refrigerator

Wanted to get people's thoughts on the following:

Wall Oven: Bosch HBL5450UC
Microwave: LG LMHM2017 or Bosch HMV5051U
Dishwasher: Bosch 500 series Miele G5105SC or KitchenAid KUDE70FXSS
Refrigerator: KitchenAid Architect Series II KFIS29BBWH

If you have any recommendations or thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate them.

o

We have a Bosch 3550, 27" 300 series (double oven) for a few weeks now, and we are very happy with it. We got the 300 instead of the 500 series for budget reasons, and we don't feel like we're missing anything.

o

bpathome,

Thank you for the information. I will take a look at the Bosch 300 series as an alternative to the 500 series.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here