Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range Hood Ducting Question

Posted by Takkone (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 15:19

I need to vent straight up through the ceiling out the roof with a 1200 CFM fan. It is a short run of only about 2'-3' in length as the range is on an exterior wall where the roof is at its lowest point and there is no attic or finished space above.

We found out there is a rafter in the way of where our 10" round duct needs to go. We are about 2" short of clearing it. Contractor suggested fitting the duct with an elbow to give it just enough offset to get by the rafter, rather than re-framing that part of the roof.

Any huge disadvantage to this solution you can think of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range Hood Ducting Question

It just needs to zig a bit. I think there are adjustable elbow-like duct thingies that can do this. Lord knows I wouldn't reframe the roof for it.

o

Small bends will have very little effect. Even a 90 or two would not be a huge deal for 10" duct at 1200CFM, but avoid if you can. If you have a roof-mounted blower, things will get more quiet if you can move it further away from the hood.

The adjustable elbows have sections to turn, and adjust anywhere from 0 to 90 degrees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duct elbow (adjustable)

o

An adjustable 90 degree elbow can very probably be made into a small offset of exactly the type you require - it consists of 4 rotating sections that can be twisted in all kinds of creative ways. Just make sure they tape all the joints with heat-proof tape, otherwise grease will ooze out over time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here