Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_15017

Miele speed oven - real life use and cleaning

User
13 years ago

Hi all - I've read and learned a lot here (thank you!), and now that we've moved into our newly reno'd house, there is much more to learn!

We have been happily using our Miele speed oven for almost two weeks, but today I spent quite some time scrubbing baked on olive oil from the glass tray. I softened it in hot water and then used my Scrunge, which I hoped was safe since it is for use on the glass cooktop.

Was this good or bad? And any suggestions for how to keep the glass tray cleaner? Should I remove it when not using the MW function?

As far as the combi-rack goes, that had a bit of baked on oil or grease, but I didn't want to scrub too much. Any ideas for cleaning the rack? (I did search old posts and found one poster who warmed the oven up to about 200 and then used fine steel wool I believe).

Any other suggestions as to the practical ways to use the speed oven to minimize mess and cleaning are very welcome!

(I won't get into the whole other issue of its various functions - big learning curve there, but we're having fun with that! The great baked potato race was very helpful!)

VS

Comments (47)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I don't know anything about speed ovens--just learning about them as I hope to incorporate one into my kitchen reno. Here's a link to the instruction manual and cleaning instructions:
    http://www.miele.ca/miele/canada/OperatingInstructions/Speed%20Oven/H4082BM_Manual_en.pdf
    You probably already read these instructions, but hoping this will help. :)

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Easy Off seems to work pretty well on the rack/tray. Be sure to wear some gloves, work in a well-ventilated area and do not inhale the fumes, spray on a nice coating of Easy Off, let it sit for 20 minutes and then clean it off with a plastic scrubber sponge being sure to have those gloves on. The lye in the Easy Off will turn the oil in your skin into soap and dry your hands out like crazy if you neglect the gloves.

It'll get the tray and rack clean.

• regant
    13 years ago

I've been watching this post for some time and was hoping for a few more responses!
    I am about to start using the Speed Oven (it has arrived and we hope to get it up and running this week) and would like to be able to keep my brand new oven sparkling clean. Any more tips will be welcomed.
    On a related topic - is there any reason why you couldn't use a bake stone in the "combi" mode?
    Having spent the money on a "combi" oven, I am keen to use its "combi" capabilities.I have looked on the web for speed oven cooking techniques and speed oven recipes but haven't found much. There are a few recipes on the Miele website, but an understanding of when to use the combination of convection and microwave is what I am looking for.
    Finally, for information, we were recently in New Zealand and saw a marvellous Miele "combi" steam oven. It is a full size oven with programmable steam injection. It doesn't need plumbing in, and gets its water by drawing it by vacuum through a slender filler tube at the side of the oven. Unfortunately, it looks as if it won't be in Canada until late 2010 or 2011.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses to date!

The instruction manual that came with the oven was not that helpful, as it seemed to suggest warm water and soap was all that was needed for cleaning!

Still hoping other users will chime in...

• dodge59
    13 years ago

There was a lady, (if you'll excuse the expression), that "Clucked Up" her new Speed oven, an Elux Icon--but cleaning should be about the same for the Miele.
    I looked for posts "cleaning Speed Ovens" Cleaning Miele oven, Elux etc etc etc. I finally tried "Cleaning Microwave Oven" and found this:
    See the "Helpful Link Below"

Good luck with your new speed oven!

Gary (The Potato Race Winner) (LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning A Microwave oven

• antss
    13 years ago

don't take this the wrong way but, maybe you should should seek therapy.

These are tools and they only look brand new the second they come out of the box. Miele manuals are are some of the best in the business and the wonks that write them assume that the people that buy them know how to clean already or can direct staff on how to.

Honestly, tell us a manufacturer that has a "cleaning section" in their manual that is a tome on sparkly?

Just wipe down the really thick ooze and the crumbs and then get on with cooking.

You can use a bake stone but not on the glass tray.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Hey Antss, did ya come into some "Money" I wouldn't spend it ALL on "Personality Lessons" (LOL)
    More often than not These speed ovens are mounted at such a height that they are easily seen into, so I don't think it's unusual for the OP to wants to keep it nice looking.
    Ours is pretty much eye level and we like to present a bright shiney interior to ourselves as well as our guests.

Gary

• mojavean
    13 years ago

I would like to suggest that the original poster need not seek any therapy. I think Gary's observations about the eye-level quality of wall-mounted speed ovens lends credence to concerns of speedovenly hygiene. My Miele manual does cover cleaning, on page 53, so it is not as if the "wonks" at Miele would be as dismissive of our original poster's concerns as our snooty Mr. Antss would have you believe. I saw nothing in the original poster's posts to indicate that perfection was the goal, only getting the glass tray and the little wire rack thingy that goes into it clean. No big deal.

I do know EZ-Off works on the glass and steel rack. I did read the manual and find that Miele does not recommend using Easy Off on a hot oven interior for fear that if it is applied to the hot metal walls they can become discolored.

I don't use it on anything but the rack and glass tray and only when they are out of the oven. I use just a normal kitchen cleanser and a sponge to clean up the interior, trusting to the combination of the sparkly clean racks and the deterioration of the vision of my elderly visitors to let me skate past normal approbation.

• antss
    13 years ago

There is a difference between clean (hygienic) and sparkling new looking. Do you guys and your guests actually stand around watching your ovens cook stuff because you can't really see into them when they are not running because the the windows are small and dark.

dodge- what would you have me spend my money on, charm school?

moja - you missed my point entirely. It was that storm should expect a Heloise like guide from the engineers at miele in the manual. They assume people have a pretty good understanding of how to use soap, water, and elbow grease. Generally they'll just caution you from using products that'll harm the finishes or electronics, mostly as a self serving interest. They don't want to waste there time on the person that baked on the tin foil to the bottom of their oven or the lady that cleaned hers with sandpaper.

• brianhs
    13 years ago

antss: You are totally off base on this one, specifically this one. We just installed our Miele speed unit few weeks ago, first time we used it to make kids fish sticks.
    Put the sticks on the metal rack with glass tray underneath.
    Bottom line, whatever oils dripped on the glass WILL NOT COME OFF- it is discolored and yellow looking, really disgusting. I have not tried easy off yet (didnt think of using that on glass)- but wife is annoyed and asked me to take care of it, and its a pain.

The glass tray in particular seems to stain/discolor readily and be difficult to get clean. The metal parts with the pefect clean do clean up easily and well.

So, OP, you are not crazy, you are 1000000% correct.

Thank you.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As the OP, let me chime in again. (And I'm entirely not offended but just entertained by the foregoing posts...)

I will never be accused of keeping things sparkling new looking - although admittedly everything is so new right now that I'm more diligent than normal. Having said that, it is the rack and tray that I'm concerned with, and it was exactly the problem described by brianhs that I ran into. (Yes, likely it should have been wiped out while still warm but I wasn't the one cooking that night...).

Anyway, brianhs, the Scrunge did work once I let the tray soak in hot water so I'll probably continue using that, and perhaps I'll use that on the rack as well.

Storm (like that...)

• regant
    13 years ago

In all of the correspondence to date, no-one has mentioned that the glass tray can be placed in the dishwasher (Page 57 of the manual). A good dishwasher with the right detergent should clean grease etc off the tray. Has anyone tried the dishwasher?

We have just got our speed oven installed and will have it hooked up to the power tomorrow so we will soon have our own experience to add to the discussion.

Still looking for advice on cooking techniques. For example, if you want to cook a ciabatta (or any other bread on the combi setting, what power would you select for the microwave? Is it a matter of trial and error? Can you use master chef settings as a guide for food that is not identified specifically in the master chef menu.?

• mojavean
    13 years ago

I've tried it in the dishwasher on "potscrubber" and it came out pretty good. Still doesn't get the most recalcitrant soiling, but Easy Off does if you let it sit for awhile. When it comes to Sodium Hydroxide, grease will reliably succumb.

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Well, I don't even have a Speed Oven YET...but I do know how to clean cooked-on oil/grease off of glass and/or regular oven racks. I don't know what the various trays or parts in the speed ovens are made of, however if it's a glass tray, these will work with little or no elbow grease involved.

Actually I know two easy ways:

1) Soak in a solution made from powdered dishwashing machine soap and hot water.

OR

2) This also works well for oven racks. Place dirty glass tray or a regular oven racks into a plastic garbage bag. In well ventilated area pour ammonia over the items in the bag being careful to avoid breathing in the fumes. Close up the bag so that the items remain covered with the ammonia and leave it soaking for 24 hours. Remove the items, rinse with fresh water and it should be sparkling clean. I set mine in the garage becuase of the odor of the ammonia.

• CSFugle
    10 years ago

Hello folks. I bought our Miele speed oven based on the review on this site and others. After 2 years of constant use (wiped clean of any spills immediately), I too wanted a deep cleaning trick that did not use Easy-Off. I found that a 50/50 mixture of tap water and white vinegar in a glass bowl, placed on the rack (no glass tray unless it needs cleaning as well) for about 5-8 minutes using the microwave setting seems to break apart the hard to remove grime as the steam created gets into the seams and top so nicely. I let the interior cool down and wash with a mild soapy cloth, and a rinse cloth to remove all vinegar. So far all is well using this technique.

• pbx2_gw
    9 years ago

Posted by Jazzandme (My Page) on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 13:30
    I've had my Miele SO and 30" Miele conventional since Jan 2010. The SO is my daily "go to"! I'm not so persistent about cleaning it, accept for the tray. I have tried steaming water, but will have to try the 50:50 water:vinegar. The one thing I will caution new users is the glass door. There is a 1/8" ventilation opening surrounding top and sides. Oh dear! if you let some liquid slide through! Approx $150-200 to have an authorized service repair. Takes a special tool and technique to open. After months of looking at the stains, I carefully used partially dampened strong paper towel and working it around--over and over, and was able to make it look 96% better!

OMG - you are so right!! My wife & I have been staring @ the 1/8" glass stain from our cleaning for the last year or so & I've been debating about taking the glass off & cleaning it myself vs.calling a tech @ $200!

But now that you say it require a special tool, I am going to have to force us to clean it with some carefully wetted PT.
    Hopefully it doesn't exacerbate the issue.

Geesh.

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

bumping to see if anyone is still having issues with cleaning their Miele speed ovens and glass tray. We are looking at getting one along with a steam oven, no regular oven - - but I don't want impossible to clean surfaces. Since it will be installed at about counter level, I will want it to be look clean not necessarily spotless. I would think the vinegar solution would be helpful since the owner's manual rules out Magic Eraser and most other cleaners that I use on my current oven (Bon Ami)

• yeh_yeh
    8 years ago

Hi all, I am about to buy the speed oven and the 30" convection oven. Is the 1/8" ventilation opening only on the ContourLine? The PureLine door seems to be a one piece glass and it doesn't seem to have any area that I can't reach and clean. Thanks in advance!

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

bumping again - anyone can confirm per Yeh Yeh's comment, whether the Pureline door doesn't have a slot for water or liquids to spill into?

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

I have the GE- I wipe the glass tray but if it really needs a deep clean- DW all the way!

I hand washed it the other day and the slippery thing almost escaped.

The metal trays have some discoloration but I cheat sometimes and use an interface to cook instead of directly on the metal pan(usually an old Corning dish)

Shimmer- in our OP, you mentioned having the metal tray over the glass tray. I realize that mine is the GE but I have to use either the metal or glass- not both. DH didn't realize this and fortunately there was not a disaster.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi - OP here. Still going strong with the Miele speedoven which is our daily workhorse.

A2gemini - in the Miele, it's okay to have both in at once and the glass tray can catch drips from whatever is on the metal rack (if not in a dish).

When I need a good clean, I let the glass tray soak in hot water and dishwasher powder for an hour or so, then go at it with a scrubbie or sometimes with baking soda. Eventually I get most of the greasy stuff off.

The inside of the oven is hard to clean of course, but I just tried the water/vinegar microwave combo suggested above and it does seem to loosen up some of the grime.

I've had the door taken apart once by the tech for a spill between the glass. Fortunately he was here for another job and didn't charge extra.

Cheers!
  • divotdiva2
    8 years ago

shimmerstorm - is yours the Pureline or the Contourline door? I guess I should be prepared to clean it (the glass tray) after each use.

• yeh_yeh
    8 years ago

divotdiva2 - I found out both lines have the gap. I guess we'll need to be careful to avoid liquid going in that gap!

• nerdyshopper
    8 years ago

After reading all the responses to your original question, I am surprised that no one has heard about Easy Off Fume Free oven cleaner. This product can clean all but the blackest baked on gunk in a matter of a 15 or 20 minutes. It is harmless to glass and metal and even usable on some plastics. Just spray it on and let it sit for a while and wipe off with a dry rag and then a wet one that you rinse and repeat until all trace of the stain and product are gone. No need for masks or rubber gloves if you are careful (don't breath the spray or fumes). I use it to clean my bathtub and shower. That is harder because I can' t get away from the fumes so I must reach out to spray and get out without inhaling. After a soak the fumes dissipate and I can wipe it off and rinse. This product comes in a blue spray can, not the old yellow one. Walmart carries it.

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

Nerdy, the problem is Miele's manual specifies not to use any oven cleaners or risk damage to the surface coating on the speed oven. I am intrigued by your shower use of this product though. Does it clean the grout?

• markwt1951
    8 years ago

Don't know if any of the earlier posters are still around, but if you ever need to take of the door of the Miele speed oven to clean behind the glass, it's very easy to do. I needed to clean a water streak that had gotten behind the glass. My Miele tech (who was at my house for a different issue) showed me how to do it. There are two small silver colored tabs on the top of the door that are visible when the door is opened. Take a small screwdriver and push these in. The front of the door which includes the handle and the glass will release from the rest of the door. Simply lift off the front from tabs on the bottom. When putting it back, slide the door onto those tabs and push the glass against the rest of the door until it latches back together. I could post photos if anyone would like me to.

• C&V T
    8 years ago
    @markwt1951 - would appreciate it if you could post some pics so we can analyze. Thx!
  • NancyJG
    7 years ago

Glass tray & cleaning inside: TRAY: I've had my Miele SO since 2012 and am on my fourth glass tray. I broke three of them them when I didn't realize they weren't fully inside the oven and closed the door quickly, but what was amazing was how fast they were delivered! Great service! I used to let things build up, so after trying lots of products, I now just use an SOS pad or any kind of steel wool pad and it gets the stuff off and the tray looking great. I worked on it for more than an hour today so it would be absolutely perfect. It's hard to believe that it's not scratched up - but it's true! One or two scratches, but I think they're from something else. I went through 3 pads today to get every nano tomato sauce mark off, and it should be totally scratched, but it's not (unlike my stainless steel sink). So after getting the bigger deposits off, go ahead and scour it with an SOS pad. If you don't believe me, try it on a small area. It's really amazing. INSIDE OVEN: I'm now ready to clean the inside. The last time I did it I used the fume-free Easy Off and it wiped off beautifully, but I didn't turn it on and therefore it wasn't heated. I read here in this chain that it's not recommended and will change the color, but it didn't happen and I've cleaned it that way a few times. I'll try the vinegar and water first, but might just go back to fume-free Easy Off to get it looking brand new.

• kismetique
    6 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I read old ones all the time for the wealth of info. I don't have any problems keeping my glass trays clean, either through washing in the sink or in the DW. I have a mini Miele DW and they come out sparkling like new using their DW tabs. I'm going to try the vinegar and if that doesn't work, I'll try the no fume easy off. I bought the Miele oven cleaner, but it doesn't really do a thing. I try and keep the oven wiped down, but there are still splatters that I would like cleaned. Mine is mounted really high, but I'm tall. As a result, I've no problems getting anything between the glass and the door, but what I hate.. there is no way to take the door completely off like the steam oven. I have a hard time cleaning the speed oven due to the drop down door.

• future_retiree
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Re: removing the door, I think this is true for all microwave ovens, the manufacturers specifically do not want consumers to remove the door. Why? To prevent microwave energy from ever getting out if the door is re-installed incorrectly. Long time ago I remember this was considered a life safety issue, I could be way behind the times in this.

Have you tried the instructions under stubborn soiling in the manual? I'd suggest follow those instructions exactly, no shortcuts or substitutions.

• Diane
    6 years ago
    Anyone have luck in removing the heatung elements on the top to clean the baked on/microwave splatters, in the perforated screen? thank you
  • future_retiree
    6 years ago

I have yet to do it, but per the owner's manual yes you can lower -- but not fully remove -- the element. Lower means unscrew a nut on the RH side and the element pivots on a hinge on the LH side so you access the top of the cavity.

• Clodel Gosuico
    5 years ago

I'm pretty sure Bar Keeper's friend or a paste of water and baking soda rubbed on the grease stains will dissolve it. I use it all the time on my range, pots, pans, and glass baking dishes.

• M H
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

After a year of using my Miele Speed Oven daily for microwaving, baking, broiling, and defrosting, it was more than overdue for a very deep cleaning. I reached out to Miele as to which cleaning product I should use to help remove some of the stains at the back of the oven that had been baked on. I did wipe down any condensation or spills the same day they happened, but the back of the oven had some baked-on stains that plain-old elbow grease could not remove.

The Miele gallery concierge recommended their own brand of oven cleaner, which I paid $14.99 + tax for. I tried is as directed, and it was an utter disappointment. Not a single speck of the baked on stains was removed, and I was quite irritated that I purchased an overpriced product that does nothing. I called back the Miele concierge, and she let me in on a little secret. Using any store bought brand of self cleaning oven cleaner for JUST ONE hour works wonders on the Speed Oven to remove any dirt and grease that had been baked on. I ran out to Walmart and purchased Great Value self cleaning oven cleaner, and sprayed it on. To my amazement, all of the grease stains wiped right off with zero damage to the textured finish of the oven. I was simply amazed! My oven look absolutely brand new!

• future_retiree
    5 years ago

Personally, I'm highly suspicious of using any cleaner other than what is listed in the user's manual, links below. That manual specifically shows in the "do not use" list ... oven sprays, listed in several places. If they thought it was ok to just apply it for an hour I'm sure they'd say so in the manual.

https://us.mieleusa.com/MieleMedia/docs/products/opin/Combination%20Convection-Steam%20Oven/DGC6705-1_6805-1_us.pdf

https://www.mieleusa.com/forms2/us/sa/manuals-125.aspx?mNo=09855480&asDownload=1

Bar Keeper's Friend is acid based, and maybe it's ok to use as described above, only to rub on the grease spot, but the oven has a so called 'perfect clean' surface, whereas pots, pans (I'm picturing cast iron pans) and glass baking dishes do not have a treated surface. Or if they do and one is using an acid on them then that's another discussion.

This is just me.

• M H
    5 years ago

Future_retiree: I complete understand, and I had the same reservations before applying any kind of harsh or non-Miele Oven cleaner. The Miele concierge told me they use fume-free commercial cleaners about 2-3x a year on their speed ovens in the Miele Gallery to preserve that “new” look to ovens that are demonstrated in daily and cooked in during Miele courses. I told her jovially but with a hint of seriousness that she would be replacing my M Touch Speed Oven should something go awry, and she promised nothing would happen! Haha.

I can’t tell you how disappointed I was at how ineffective the Miele branded cleaner was. Definitely will be sending it back! Honestly, microwaving a lemon for a minute proved more effective at lifting grease than their branded cleaner.

• jennyinlaeast
    3 years ago

I have tried the vinegar and water and it doesn’t work on the interior for me. Nor did the Miele cleaner. It is these spots I just can’t get rid of. Any suggestions?

• jennyinlaeast
    3 years ago

And anyone know if you can remove that disk at the top of the speed oven and clean it? Thanks!

• Kim G
    3 years ago

A miele tech suggested microwaving water/vinegar solution - 1 part vinegar/2-3 parts water and letting it boil and steam has worked well for me. You can take down part of the broiler element but I have not tried messing with the disk.

• jennyinlaeast
    3 years ago

Thank you Kim G. The microwaving water/vinegar solution didn't work for me. But I did follow an earlier poster's advice (after a miele concierge told them they used oven cleaner in the showroom) and used Easy-Off Fume Free for an hour. So far so good - just still have some spots on the back and the top; but it is much much better than it was. Will post if there are any issues.

• M H
    3 years ago

Hi there! I’m the Easy Off poster. I’ve been using it about 3-4 times a year on my Speed Oven with remarkable results; I’m very glad the Miele rep told me to go ahead with it. I’ve tried microwaving vinegar, lemons in water, and using the Miele oven cleaner with disappointing results. The Easy Off keeps my oven sparkling like new.

The only area that is a little troublesome to clean is the metal disk at the top of the oven. A Miele repair technician told me that’s part of the microwave component and not something consumers should remove themselves. Thankfully I have my oven installed below counter height so it’s largely invisible.

• ro_rowe
    3 years ago

If anyone is thinking of buying a Miele speed oven.....DON’T. Impossible to keep clean

• M
    3 years ago

I think it really depends on your expectations. If you want your oven to look pristine the way it came out of the factory, then you need an oven that has a self-clean cycle. And that comes with all sorts of compromises including the potential of early catastrophic failure.

If you are fine with some amount of permanent staining, then ovens with steel interiors are great. Much less prone to failure than enameled ovens. On the other hand, the enamel is much better at covering up stains.

And yes, the top of the oven is always difficult to clean, if there is an exposed broiler element. I recommend coming to terms with that. In the end, it's a cosmetic issue only.

I am fortunate that we also have a big old gas oven. I use that for more splattery foods and that allows me to keep my Miele speed oven and CSO more clean. But over time, they still have acquired some amount of stains that stay. I think I can accept that.

• nycbluedevil_gw
    3 years ago

M

You probably already know this, but the nut at the top of the speed oven can be loosened to m ake it easier to clean the ceiling.

• future_retiree
    3 years ago

Another one-post-count poster advising don't buy Brand X you'll regret it.

And as with other posters like this no mention whatsoever of what happened, did they follow the manual, use the correct cleaning products etc.

Highly suspicious IMO.

• nancy8037
    2 years ago

Just use a steel wool pad and everything will come off. I've LOVED my speed oven for 10 years!