Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele speed oven - real life use and cleaning

Posted by shimmerstorm (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 15:18

Hi all - I've read and learned a lot here (thank you!), and now that we've moved into our newly reno'd house, there is much more to learn!

We have been happily using our Miele speed oven for almost two weeks, but today I spent quite some time scrubbing baked on olive oil from the glass tray. I softened it in hot water and then used my Scrunge, which I hoped was safe since it is for use on the glass cooktop.

Was this good or bad? And any suggestions for how to keep the glass tray cleaner? Should I remove it when not using the MW function?

As far as the combi-rack goes, that had a bit of baked on oil or grease, but I didn't want to scrub too much. Any ideas for cleaning the rack? (I did search old posts and found one poster who warmed the oven up to about 200 and then used fine steel wool I believe).

Any other suggestions as to the practical ways to use the speed oven to minimize mess and cleaning are very welcome!

(I won't get into the whole other issue of its various functions - big learning curve there, but we're having fun with that! The great baked potato race was very helpful!)

VS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele speed oven - real life use and cleaning

I don't know anything about speed ovens--just learning about them as I hope to incorporate one into my kitchen reno. Here's a link to the instruction manual and cleaning instructions:
http://www.miele.ca/miele/canada/OperatingInstructions/Speed Oven/H4082BM_Manual_en.pdf
You probably already read these instructions, but hoping this will help. :)

o

Easy Off seems to work pretty well on the rack/tray. Be sure to wear some gloves, work in a well-ventilated area and do not inhale the fumes, spray on a nice coating of Easy Off, let it sit for 20 minutes and then clean it off with a plastic scrubber sponge being sure to have those gloves on. The lye in the Easy Off will turn the oil in your skin into soap and dry your hands out like crazy if you neglect the gloves.

It'll get the tray and rack clean.

o

I've been watching this post for some time and was hoping for a few more responses!
I am about to start using the Speed Oven (it has arrived and we hope to get it up and running this week) and would like to be able to keep my brand new oven sparkling clean. Any more tips will be welcomed.
On a related topic - is there any reason why you couldn't use a bake stone in the "combi" mode?
Having spent the money on a "combi" oven, I am keen to use its "combi" capabilities.I have looked on the web for speed oven cooking techniques and speed oven recipes but haven't found much. There are a few recipes on the Miele website, but an understanding of when to use the combination of convection and microwave is what I am looking for.
Finally, for information, we were recently in New Zealand and saw a marvellous Miele "combi" steam oven. It is a full size oven with programmable steam injection. It doesn't need plumbing in, and gets its water by drawing it by vacuum through a slender filler tube at the side of the oven. Unfortunately, it looks as if it won't be in Canada until late 2010 or 2011.

o

Thanks for the responses to date!

The instruction manual that came with the oven was not that helpful, as it seemed to suggest warm water and soap was all that was needed for cleaning!

Still hoping other users will chime in...

o

There was a lady, (if you'll excuse the expression), that "Clucked Up" her new Speed oven, an Elux Icon--but cleaning should be about the same for the Miele.
I looked for posts "cleaning Speed Ovens" Cleaning Miele oven, Elux etc etc etc. I finally tried "Cleaning Microwave Oven" and found this:
See the "Helpful Link Below"

Good luck with your new speed oven!

Gary (The Potato Race Winner) (LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning A Microwave oven

o

don't take this the wrong way but, maybe you should should seek therapy.

These are tools and they only look brand new the second they come out of the box. Miele manuals are are some of the best in the business and the wonks that write them assume that the people that buy them know how to clean already or can direct staff on how to.

Honestly, tell us a manufacturer that has a "cleaning section" in their manual that is a tome on sparkly?

Just wipe down the really thick ooze and the crumbs and then get on with cooking.

You can use a bake stone but not on the glass tray.

o

Hey Antss, did ya come into some "Money" I wouldn't spend it ALL on "Personality Lessons" (LOL)
More often than not These speed ovens are mounted at such a height that they are easily seen into, so I don't think it's unusual for the OP to wants to keep it nice looking.
Ours is pretty much eye level and we like to present a bright shiney interior to ourselves as well as our guests.

Gary

o

I would like to suggest that the original poster need not seek any therapy. I think Gary's observations about the eye-level quality of wall-mounted speed ovens lends credence to concerns of speedovenly hygiene. My Miele manual does cover cleaning, on page 53, so it is not as if the "wonks" at Miele would be as dismissive of our original poster's concerns as our snooty Mr. Antss would have you believe. I saw nothing in the original poster's posts to indicate that perfection was the goal, only getting the glass tray and the little wire rack thingy that goes into it clean. No big deal.

I do know EZ-Off works on the glass and steel rack. I did read the manual and find that Miele does not recommend using Easy Off on a hot oven interior for fear that if it is applied to the hot metal walls they can become discolored.

I don't use it on anything but the rack and glass tray and only when they are out of the oven. I use just a normal kitchen cleanser and a sponge to clean up the interior, trusting to the combination of the sparkly clean racks and the deterioration of the vision of my elderly visitors to let me skate past normal approbation.

o

There is a difference between clean (hygienic) and sparkling new looking. Do you guys and your guests actually stand around watching your ovens cook stuff because you can't really see into them when they are not running because the the windows are small and dark.

dodge- what would you have me spend my money on, charm school?

moja - you missed my point entirely. It was that storm should expect a Heloise like guide from the engineers at miele in the manual. They assume people have a pretty good understanding of how to use soap, water, and elbow grease. Generally they'll just caution you from using products that'll harm the finishes or electronics, mostly as a self serving interest. They don't want to waste there time on the person that baked on the tin foil to the bottom of their oven or the lady that cleaned hers with sandpaper.

o

antss: You are totally off base on this one, specifically this one. We just installed our Miele speed unit few weeks ago, first time we used it to make kids fish sticks.
Put the sticks on the metal rack with glass tray underneath.
Bottom line, whatever oils dripped on the glass WILL NOT COME OFF- it is discolored and yellow looking, really disgusting. I have not tried easy off yet (didnt think of using that on glass)- but wife is annoyed and asked me to take care of it, and its a pain.

The glass tray in particular seems to stain/discolor readily and be difficult to get clean. The metal parts with the pefect clean do clean up easily and well.

So, OP, you are not crazy, you are 1000000% correct.

Thank you.

o

As the OP, let me chime in again. (And I'm entirely not offended but just entertained by the foregoing posts...)

I will never be accused of keeping things sparkling new looking - although admittedly everything is so new right now that I'm more diligent than normal. Having said that, it is the rack and tray that I'm concerned with, and it was exactly the problem described by brianhs that I ran into. (Yes, likely it should have been wiped out while still warm but I wasn't the one cooking that night...).

Anyway, brianhs, the Scrunge did work once I let the tray soak in hot water so I'll probably continue using that, and perhaps I'll use that on the rack as well.

Storm (like that...)

o

In all of the correspondence to date, no-one has mentioned that the glass tray can be placed in the dishwasher (Page 57 of the manual). A good dishwasher with the right detergent should clean grease etc off the tray. Has anyone tried the dishwasher?

We have just got our speed oven installed and will have it hooked up to the power tomorrow so we will soon have our own experience to add to the discussion.

Still looking for advice on cooking techniques. For example, if you want to cook a ciabatta (or any other bread on the combi setting, what power would you select for the microwave? Is it a matter of trial and error? Can you use master chef settings as a guide for food that is not identified specifically in the master chef menu.?

o

I've tried it in the dishwasher on "potscrubber" and it came out pretty good. Still doesn't get the most recalcitrant soiling, but Easy Off does if you let it sit for awhile. When it comes to Sodium Hydroxide, grease will reliably succumb.

o

Well, I don't even have a Speed Oven YET...but I do know how to clean cooked-on oil/grease off of glass and/or regular oven racks. I don't know what the various trays or parts in the speed ovens are made of, however if it's a glass tray, these will work with little or no elbow grease involved.

Actually I know two easy ways:

1) Soak in a solution made from powdered dishwashing machine soap and hot water.

OR

2) This also works well for oven racks. Place dirty glass tray or a regular oven racks into a plastic garbage bag. In well ventilated area pour ammonia over the items in the bag being careful to avoid breathing in the fumes. Close up the bag so that the items remain covered with the ammonia and leave it soaking for 24 hours. Remove the items, rinse with fresh water and it should be sparkling clean. I set mine in the garage becuase of the odor of the ammonia.

o

Hello folks. I bought our Miele speed oven based on the review on this site and others. After 2 years of constant use (wiped clean of any spills immediately), I too wanted a deep cleaning trick that did not use Easy-Off. I found that a 50/50 mixture of tap water and white vinegar in a glass bowl, placed on the rack (no glass tray unless it needs cleaning as well) for about 5-8 minutes using the microwave setting seems to break apart the hard to remove grime as the steam created gets into the seams and top so nicely. I let the interior cool down and wash with a mild soapy cloth, and a rinse cloth to remove all vinegar. So far all is well using this technique.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here