Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beantownrenovator

How hot do Bluestar/Wolf ranges get?

beantownrenovator
10 years ago

Hi All - Working on a new kitchen renovation. I *think* we want a 36" range. We have a 5 yo DCS that gets VERY hot on the outside. We have small children and it makes me very nervous. I want to make sure our next stove does not get so hot. What do you think? What would you recommend?

Comments (11)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

All ovens get hot in the crevices around the oven door.

DCS is actually one of the better ones. Don't know if you have a lemon or an oven door that was assembled incorrectly.

Bluestar will have one of the largest interiors but have the hottest or one of the hottest oven doors on the market.

Wolf is near the top. From my experience and from what I a have read Capital has the coolest oven door, maybe there are others that match it or beat it but have not read so in credible source.

There used to be a dealer that did test and published data on this very subject but Bluestar used high powered lawyers to bully him into removing his data from his website.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

I have a 36" bluestar and a 27" Viking wall oven. For day to day cooks, I use the Viking bc it's smaller and heats up faster. For entertaining and holidays and bigger meals, I use the bluestar. It gets warm to the touch but unless you left your hand on there a whole, you're not gonna get burned.

As for the burners on the bluestar, they are phenomenal.

Lastly, I have two small children, including an 18 month old daughter who's somewhat obsessed with all the appliances. But she's fine and has never been burned or injured in any way.

• wekick
    10 years ago

" Posted by deeageaux
    DCS is actually one of the better ones. Don't know if you have a lemon or an oven door that was assembled incorrectly.

Bluestar will have one of the largest interiors but have the hottest or one of the hottest oven doors on the market.

Wolf is near the top. From my experience and from what I a have read Capital has the coolest oven door, maybe there are others that match it or beat it but have not read so in credible source."

What is your "credible source" for this ranking? Please post.

"There used to be a dealer that did test and published data on this very subject but Bluestar used high powered lawyers to bully him into removing his data from his website."

Do you have proof for this accusation?
    Trevor Lawson of Eurostoves has this on his website under "test data" comparing the CC and BS now but most thinking people would not consider "data" provided by a competitor to be unbiased especially if you have any knowledge about how scientific testing is done. This becomes more evident as you look at how the other "tests" are set up and presented.

There have been complaints on this forum about the door being hot on the BS. There have been some things written saying that BS fixed the hot door but a poster here that had an older one and a new one thought the new one had a hotter door.
    BlueStar review

On the Wolf, it may depend on if you are talking about the AG or the DF. I think there have been a couple of complaints about the AG, but others who had it seemed to think there was something wrong with it. Maybe an actual owner will comment about the AG. I have the Wolf DF and the doors and surrounds stay very cool. We have grandkids(toddlers) running around and while I believe in teaching them to stay away from "hot" and they are watched closely, it is wonderful to have the peace of mind that a cool door is one less hazard. Even after running a couple of hours the door is cool and the only part even warm at all is at the bottom. I couldn't find any place even hot, let alone uncomfortably hot.

• wekick
    10 years ago

Mistman,
    It is just one of those things that are important to some people and not to others. Along with safety issues, I just don't want the heat added to my kitchen and I don't want to stand in front of a hot oven in a range if I don't have to. My guess is there might be some aspect of appliances that is important to you, that I skip reading about because it doesn't interest me. I don't think it is "obsessing" to discuss this on this forum and if you are going to "obsess" about some attribute of an appliance, heaven knows, this is the place to do it.

• Mistman
    10 years ago

Agreed, though I feel this topic will never end.......

Just as an aside. I braised some chicken in my BS oven this evening (@ 375) and the thread got me curios (again) so I went and felt the oven door. My 4 yo boy was watching me so he put his hand on it and actually left it on there longer than I did. I asked him if it was hot he said "it won't burn me?" as a statement/question. I said no it won't burn you. He had just gotten out of the bathtub and was in his jammies and proceeded to sit on the floor w/his back against the oven door and again said "it won't burn my back". He sat there for at least 2 minutes before the dog came along and distracted him. I have a feeling he'll be using the oven as a back warmer in the future.
    We have a jetted tub and like to make it pretty warm so they're used to 'hot' water and are pretty acclimated to it.
    I don't mean to belittle your inquiry but as I've mentioned this topic has been around the block a few times.
    Good luck.
    MM

• LLVV
    10 years ago

I have the new model of Wolf's AG range. To me, the door doesn't feel hot at all. However, when the oven is on the kitchen definitely feels warmer than it did with my old GE range.

• jmaurry
    10 years ago

Hi LLVV,
    I have purchased the new Wolf AG as well, it won't be installed for a few weeks. Going from a 30" Thermador electric oven with convection that I use all the time, I'm a bit nervous about the oven. How is it cooking? Is it hard to adjust to an all gas oven? Please let us know how you like it! Thanks so much!

• LLVV
    10 years ago

I went from gas to gas so I can't comment on electric vs. gas when baking as I've never baked using an electric oven.

When I first got the Wolf I noticed that it was taking a little bit longer to cook things. Our old (piece of junk) GE always finished cooking the food as per recipe time. With the Wolf I need to bump up the temperature about 15 degrees to get the same results. If a recipe calls for 350 for 1 hour, I'll do 365 for 1 hour and the food will turn out perfect. This is true for both savory items such as casseroles as well as bakery items such as cookies, cakes, tarts, etc.

We tested the oven temperature with an oven thermometer as we thought that maybe the calibration was off however, the Wolf is very good at maintaining an accurate temperature. We monitored the oven for 1 hour and it was always within 5 degrees of what it was supposed to be even in the time immediately following preheat. The manual also states that the oven needs a good 30 minutes to preheat, however, when the red light goes off, the temperature is perfect and it doesn't lose heat as it cycles off. I'm not sure why we need to bump the temperature up. I'm thinking that the GE always ran hot but we just never noticed.

The broiler is one powerful thing. We made hamburgers in it and they were better than we when grill them. I'm going to try steak later on this week. I've never broiled steak which is why I've waited so long. Since the burgers passed, we feel safe trying to broil a good cut of steak.

The convection fan is very quiet but I don't use. I turned it on a few times but that was about it.

The biggest adjustment was getting used to there not being a beep once the oven had completed preheating. Instead, there is a red light that is on while the oven is heating and it goes off once proper temperature is reached.

• jmaurry
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great info! I'm excited to try that broiler!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

We have a 2008 (?) Wolf AG range. Outside of door gets hot but I don't think hot enough to burn. The top edge of the oven door is another story. If I've accidentally leaned or brushed against the door edge (while reaching into the oven), I've gotten burnt. I try to give the door edge a wide berth when it's hot.