Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody seen/used the new Bosch Benchmark appliances?

Posted by Juno_barks (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 15:09

I think they are shipping these now. I have largely decided to use their side-swing oven, speed oven, and flexinduction, but would love to hear from someone who has actually touched the goods!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody seen/used the new Bosch Benchmark appliances?

Hi Juno- I have been looking at current models of Bosch appliances but know nothing about the series you are talking about. Could you please elaborate?
And when does this come to market? I have not seen them. Thanks, Colleen

o

Check out the Yale Appliances Blog--they've got a couple of recent reviews of the Bosch Benchmark line.
Redhead-its a brand new higher-end Bosch line. More modern looking and integrated and has features normally found in luxury appliances.

o

I think they're cool but can't help but wonder what new ideas they will have to come up with to keep up such a big difference between the two models.

o

My husband says he saw them at the Thermador design center in NYC two weeks ago. He said they were very cool (that's as much info as I got from him....men!). I'm wondering what is the different between the Benchmark & the 800 series beyond several hundred dollars & a different model #? I'm looking at ranges. From the website, they both look the same, and when I "compare" all of the features remain the same as well.

o

Following up on my own question (which I had answered by BSH), it isn't explicitly stated on Bosch's website, but I wanted to specifically know the differences between the Benchmark & 800 series dual-fuel slide in ranges beyond $300 in list price. Here's the answer I received from BSH:

Benchmark gets following over 800

Soft close door like Thermador
20k burner vs. 18k burner
“telescopic” rack vs. just regular racks
HI/LO burner and much “lower” simmer like Thermador
TFT Control

So definitely seems like with Benchmark, Bosch is pulling a few of the 'luxury' features over from Thermador. Is it worth $300 (on a range)? You decide.

o

Thanks for the responses.

I really like the side-open wall oven, and think it will work in my new kitchen. The $300+ doesn't worry me, and looks matter.
I have gotten stuck on having the microwave and oven to look good together, and the more I looked at the conventional set ups with trim kits, the less I liked them.

However, I like the (on-line) look of the bosch speed microwave (with convection and broil) over the side-opening benchmark wall oven. I also like the idea of a flush mount, which I think I can do in my Ikea kitchen.

This weekend I will visit the local appliance stores to see if they have them in stock yet -- they had said the appliances would start shipping in May, though some models not till June.

I like in Utah, and everything seems to arrive here late. So if any of you get to touch these, please do report in!

Here is a link that might be useful: comparison of Bosch benchmark vs 500/800 wall ovens

o

If only the Bosch Benchmark steam oven had a broiler, this line looks like a possible option, Miele is my top contender right now.

o

I thought I saw a speed oven / wall oven combination at AJMadison.

o

• Posted by nepool New England (My Page) on
    Fri, May 23, 14 at 18:31

I just saw this in the store and loved it! We currently use our Cuisinart convection/toaster oven a ton, and I really love the idea of the small convention oven/broiler/microwave for that daily stuff. Its so much bigger than my Cuisinart. The 'bottom' normal oven is very large - about 5 cubic feet, and plenty for my holiday turkey, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: 30

This post was edited by nepool on Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:16

o

These won't arrive in Utah for another four or five weeks. Torture! Still, I think I'm holding out for them.

o

My husband works for a wholesaler, which is who we'll buy our appliances through. I've narrowed it down to Bosch for my range & DW. I spoke with his Bosch contact this AM to ask about when Benchmark will ship. He said Benchmark should start shipping next week. The 800 series is shipping now. His comment was by the end of June, all of the lines should be out. I told him that I was having a hard time comparing the differences between the lines (Benchmark, 800 series, etc.) on the website. He said BSH was revamping the website soon to highlight the differences. I think I'm going to take a chance and order without seeing/touching it!

o

Very exciting, hokie98! Please do give us an update when you see them, use them, etc. And it sounds as if you have a great buying opportunity!

o

I think I'm going to go ahead and order this week (maybe even today), with the expectation I may not see anything for several weeks/end of June. Maybe they'll surprise me sooner than that. Best of luck - the wall oven sound awesome. We had a Thermador wall oven in our last house, and I loved it (and it wasn't even anything as cool as a steam oven). I would rather have a wall oven & cooktop than a range, but a total kitchen gut & remodel isn't in the cards right now!

o

Went to the appliance store yesterday and spoke with employees about the Bosch Benchmark. They don't have any on the showroom floor yet but they did say that there will not be any pricing wiggle room with the Benchmark line--Bosch is being strict about this, I guess at least the first year.

o

I am about to purchase the Bosch 800 dishwasher and the Bosch 800 36 inch gas cooktop.

Can anyone tell if I should consider the Benchmark series instead of either or both of these?

As far as I can tell on AJ Madison, etc, the only difference on the cooktop is 20,000 instead of 18,000 BTU on the central burner. Can anyone see other differences?

On the dishwasher, I haven't compared yet, but the 800 gets such good ratings that I can't imagine they could have improved on it a lot in the Benchmark.

What do y'all think?

Thanks!

o

Looks like you're right on the cooktop difference.

As for the dishwashers It doesn't look Bosch has really "improved" anything, just played around with the model names. Even the model numbers stayed the same. What used to be the 800 Plus series is now the Benchmark series, which very could be the dishwasher you read reviews of. Benchmark is imported from Germany, whereas the current 800+ is made right here in the USA (before, the 800+ was made in Germany). Other than that, the Benchmark is 2 decibels quieter (38dB vs 40dB) and uses slightly less electricity (same amount of water though).

Now that I've gotten the chance to take a closer look at the Benchmark line, I'm quite disappointed in it. Seems like they're asking a heavy premium for them, and the added features are pretty lame compared to the 800 line. The one exception to that in my opinion is the Benchmark wall ovens. There you get side opening doors and a significantly improved interface with a color screen.

I DO on the other hand quite like the overall design improvements of Bosch's new line. But you don't need to go up to the Benchmark series to get that.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:16

o

We just ordered a Bosch 800 series induction cooktop. While it was discounted from MRSP, the price of the Benchmark series was "locked" according to our appliance store and could only be sold for list. That matched with what we saw online...essentially everyone was selling the Benchmark at list price. Maybe that will change once the unit is in greater distribution.

PS I was interested in the Benchmark and its "flex induction" capability, but the differential was too great and we needed to order now.

o

Thanks for the info. I don't think you will regret the 800-series induction cooktop!
We have not started assembling cabinets, and figure I'm still a month out for appliances, if not more. That means I can keep flip flopping. My local store is remodeling its bosch display (a prerequisite from Bosch, before they will ship the benchmark products). Sure am looking forward to side-by-side comparisons.

o

What you have heard about pricing is absolutely true. My husband (who works for a wholesaler) mentioned that the other day. It is locked at MSRP. I guess the only discounts will be for package deals, perhaps.

On the BMark DW, the most significant difference above the 800 (per the BSH rep I talked with) is an interior light (there are a few other minor differences). I decided that I have been living just fine without the need for an interior light in my DW, and considering we use the normal wash cycle 99% of the time, the 800 (not even 800 Plus) was more than adequate for our needs.

I ordered a BMark dual fuel range - I liked the additional perks there, but wasn't sold on the additional value added for the DW or MW (the BMark MW has a different display), so I ordered the 800 series for those items.

This post was edited by hokie98 on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 7:12

o

I have the 30 inch slide in Benchmark induction range. I have had it for a couple of weeks. So far I really like it. There is lots of space on the rangetop for pans. I also like the oven. The warming drawer sticks so they are coming out to replace a roller but, assuming that works, I will be happy with the choice. This is my first induction range so I am still getting used to differences in cooking and I did replace some pans but so far I like it and it is so easy to keep clean and does not heat up the kitchen at all.

o

Hokie98, either your rep was wrong or the Bosch website is, it says the 800 plus has an interior light also. The only differences I can see are country of origin, sound level, and energy efficiency.

o

hvtech42 - After looking back at the DWs again, you are right, there is an interior light in the 800Plus - so I guess that is a separate DW. My conversation with the rep went like this: "What is the benefit of the Benchmark dishwasher over the others? I don't care about a bunch of cycles because we seldom deviate from the regular wash cycle. I just want clean dishes." His response was, "The main difference is that you'll get an interior light and a few other minor features." He didn't specify, and I didn't ask, for differences between the 800Plus & BMark. I was already leaning towards the 800 anyway and the rep told me I would probably be very happy with the 800. Looking at the website closer, the "SteelTouch" control panel is probably the most noticeable difference b/w the 800Plus & BM. Evidently control panel was the most noticable difference b/w the BM & 800 MWs. Having new, higher-tech control panels seems to be a common theme across the Benchmark line.

o

Benchmark is shipping! (It came in last week, but we were out or town.) I have a dual fuel range sitting in my kitchen, to be installed tomorrow AM!

o

Still no benchmark ovens in Utah appliance displays. But the decision is starting to slow our progress, so I think I have to order sight unseen.

So - will prob get benchmark wall oven (left-hinged side opening), the matching speed oven, but maybe not the flex cooktop.

Anybody yet with an installed benchmark wall oven?

o

I can't help you with the wall oven/cooktop, but I have been using my range for a few weeks, as well as the 800 series MW. I love my new range. I love the oven. It bakes so much better/evenly than my dumpy old gas range. The luxury glide rack is so smooth. The lights slowly illuminate, then slowly go off, which is pretty slick. I 'proofed' some dough in it over the weekend - I love having that feature back (which I missed from the Thermador wall oven we had in our last house). I haven't used the probe yet, but if it's like our old Thermador, I'm sure it won't disappoint. I love the 5 burners on the top, and they are super responsive.

I would say the only thing I do NOT like is the touch screen panel. I bought the 800 series MW b/c I didn't think the upgrade for the Benchmark features were worth the extra $$. The MW (which I'm thrilled with as well) has buttons behind the display that you actually push. The Benchmark is more like an iPhone, where it's touchscreen. But it's super sensitive. I can be cooking on the top of the range and my shirt will brush against the control panel, and the next thing I know, it's beeping at me asking if I want to turn the oven on. Therefore, I keep the panel locked now unless I'm turning the oven on (which is probably safest anyway since I have young children). I have had one or two occasions where it's taken me a few seconds of touching the control panel to get the oven to turn off. The other night, I didn't have it locked, and I noticed there as a little icon illuminated on the panel. I couldn't figure out what may be on, and even looked at the manual, which was no help. I finally figured out it was the warming drawer. The warming drawer somehow was accidentally turned on. So candidly, I'm not so sure I'm sold that the touchscreen is a big 'perk,' especially on a range where it's lower, right in front. Personally, I would rather have a display where you had to actually push a button than just touch it.

Best of luck with you decision!

o

Thanks Hokie98. Sounds like a lovely range, but I agree that accidentally turning things on is not a good thing. I've been without an oven since January, and am really looking forward to baking bread again. I've never had the proof setting, and so definitely looking forward to it.

o

I was all set to buy the new Bosch Benchmark Induction slide-in until I finally was able to see one in person today in Seattle. I have to say, the control panel and the surrounding brushed stainless is ugly to the point of looking like a prototype. The metal and finish does not match the doors and drawers of the oven or any other Bosch appliances near by. The finish around the black glass control pane is rough with a punched through look instead of a nice recessed bevel. The brush marks in the stainless are deep and look like someone did them by hand. The glass control panel is too small leaving large blank surfaces of this ugly stainless on either side of the control panel. I wanted so much to like this range based on pictures but that control panel area makes the whole unit look second class. I took some pictures with my phone but they are a bit blurry. If you want I can post them.

If someone owns one I hope they can tell me that something must be wrong with the unit I saw in the store. Otherwise, I am back to GE or waiting for Miele.

Disappointed

o

That would be great if you could post pictures.

"waiting for Miele"

Wow, Miele is coming out with an induction range? I had heard that they would have a pro range line soon to compete with Wolf, Viking, etc. but I had no idea that they were doing induction too. I'm happy to hear that, we could use more induction ranges and it's a plus that it's coming from a manufacturer that's known for quality.

o

Mine is a dual-fuel, but I don't find the SS to be offensive (I have included a picture, but this time of night, lighting isn't great!). I also bought a 800 series DW, and I would say it's the same SS. It is a course brushing, but again, I don't think it's bad, IMO. Now my MW/hood (don't roast me - I know they aren't popular on this board, but after a lot of thought, that's what I went with due to space) has a shinier SS finish, but I don't think it's distracting when compared to the range underneath it. I have a SS GE fridge and the brushing on that is a little finer than the Bosch, but not by much. I considered the induction range, but ultimately stuck with a gas top simply for asthetics. Without the knobs, I do think it looks a little odd/empty. I will attempt a better pic of the finish in natural light tomorrow if anyone would like.

o

"I have included a picture"

Looks sharp to me.

"don't roast me - I know they aren't popular on this board"

Don't listen to those people. Microwave hoods are an economical choice that will do fine for the vast majority of cooking surfaces and cooking styles in residential kitchens. I'm not going to try and argue they're better than hoods but they are nowhere near as bad as many people on this forum make them out to be.

o

Hokie98, what do you think about having the largest burner in the center? In general, it always seemed like the center burner was a less useful location so I'm not sure how much I like this burner layout. Has that burner been usable in spite of it's location this far? There are so many other things to like about this range so I'm trying to look past that.

o

nrplye - I like the burner layout! I had a 5 burner 36" Thermador gas cooktop in the house we sold last summer, and I found the center burner to be my "go-to" burner, so I guess I'm a holdover from that habit. I'm really a little suprised that 5 burners are spaced so well in a 30" range, when I've had some crowding issues before on a standard 30" range. Granted, I don't usually have more than 2 burners going at one time, but being a slide-in, I have been impressed by the amount of space. With that being said, that center burner is pretty powerful/large. A couple of times I've moved to the front right because I'll have a flame literally starting to come up the sides of the pot/pan. In those cases, I guess I'm not using a big enough diameter pan. At least on gas, the front right is 15K btus (vs 20k btus in the center), so it's not exactly a slouch, but I do little high-heat cooking (that may matter to someone that stir-fries/fries alot). I haven't tried cooking on both at the same time yet, but I don't think space-wise it would be a problem to have 2 12" pans on each burner. I also have a large (~18") saute pan that fits beautifully on that center burner, where it overhang on the front right burner of the old 30" range I replaced. I fully expect that center burner will be handy once I have time to get around to canning some vegetables/jams/jellies again. So again, I really like the layout, I really like the range. As mentioned before, I'm not crazy about the touchscreen display, but aside from that, I'm very happy. I was interested in a slide-in range, specifically one with 5 burners, and while I looked at others, this one quickly went to the top of my list when I realized, unlike some other brands, like Elux, I didn't have to buy a 'spacer' to go between the back of the range & the wall...it fits into our existing free-standing space. Best of luck!

This post was edited by hokie98 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 9:14

o

Thanks for your response! That is very helpful! This range has moved to the top of my list too since it will fit in my freestanding space more easily and it is less bulky than the GE profile I was considering. The Profile will require me to open my oven to pull out my silverware drawer. Ack! The joys of a small kitchen! The burner layout is the only thing I don't love. I wish they had put one of the 6k BTU burners in the center as opposed to both in back. But alas, your review is helpful in putting that concern aside. Thanks again!

o

I don't understand the powerful center burner. Seems like the moment I'd put a large pot on it the other 4 burners only have space for small pots each. What can you put on any other burner once you have a 14" wok on the center one? Or a 12" pan?

o

Somehow my photo is flipped upside down. But in the center is the biggest circumference pan I have (~12" inside diameter) without digging out a water bath canner. To the left (which is the front right burner since the photo is upside down) is an 8" pan, then to the right is a 7-1/2" on the front and 7" on the back. The pans aren't touching and are all centered appropriately over the center of the burners.

This post was edited by hokie98 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 21:16

o

Here is another photo without the additional pots so you can see the other burners.

o

@hikie98: thanks for the excellent pictures. Looks somewhat crammed but much much better than what I imagined! Certainly usable.

o

@Tvoneicken - Just for curiosity sake, with that 12" pan in the center, I put 10" pot on the front left, and it'll work. The pots are touching slightly, but they are both centered over the burner. I don't think you could fit anything larger on either burner. I would guess if you cook with several of large (10" +) pans often, maybe this burner layout would less than ideal, unless you need/want that 5th burner. Again, for a 30" range, I think it's pretty roomy, but I don't generally cook with several larger pans at once either. Best of luck! (BTW, the first picture I posted is flipped upside down when I was replying on my phone last PM, but now on my computer, it's right side up...ack! Technology....)

This post was edited by hokie98 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 7:33

o

Thanks so much for posting the photos, hokie 98. So helpful!

o

The benchmark display is finally going in at my local appliance store, and here I am all the way across the country for a week long meeting. Oh well, they will still be here next week. I'm mostly curious about the side-swing wall oven and the speed oven.

o

dianelouise- Thank you for that! I may need to wait for the Miele then, too! I will make a point of seeing the Bosch in person before making any decisions. Maybe you did see a prototype/early production display? They seem pretty desperate for floor models.

o

Dancingqueen, you are the first person I found that has purchased the Bosch induction slide in. I am seriously considering it. The only thing I did not like was that the one oven rack would not slide in and out without rubbing the sides and I was also concerned about finding someone to repair if needed. I just LOVE the looks of it. I am also consider the GE profile induction slide in. Can you tell me anything about your Bosch that would make my decision any easier? I cannot find one review on it. Thanks.

o

Bosch is not an exotic brand... You should not have any trouble finding someone to repair it

o

Hokie 98, How is the oven fan noise of the Bosch Benchmark range? This will be my first convection oven. We were considering the GE Cafe until I heard the fan noise. I haven't been able to find a dealer that has the Bosch range connected so that I can hear the fan. Any information or opinions would be helpful. This is my first post so I hope that it works

o

Do we know much about the reliability of Bosch ranges? Seems this wasn't a "core" area for them, and some of the lower end has been farmed out to Electrolux, while the 800 and higher end stuff is made by Bosch.

Seems to me that it is all really a game of how long computer boards will last, same for touch screens and the dials for setting temperature...

o

"Do we know much about the reliability of Bosch ranges? Seems this wasn't a "core" area for them, and some of the lower end has been farmed out to Electrolux, while the 800 and higher end stuff is made by Bosch."

Bosch has been making cooking products New Bern, North Carolina since 2001. Overall, they have been well reviewed. Of course there have been some complainers just like every other product made.

o

I agree that they have been making cooking products domestically. But I have read in more than one place that at least some IP has been bought from Electrolux and/or others for their ranges, and that some of the lower end models are actually farmed out to other companies (i.e. electrolux). I agree that they make their own products in the 800 and benchmark series, but how does one deconvolute results from the farmed out products vs their internally made stuff (which Id imagine is better actually).

o

^Currently, all their freestanding ranges are made by Electrolux and all the slide ins are made in house. However they did used to make the top of the line freestanding ranges themselves. Honestly you can tell just by looking that the pictures - the ones that aren't made by Bosch look exactly like Frigidaires.

o

Undecided8 - There is a hum when the convection oven is on, but honestly, I don't notice it being distracting at all. I would say it's a little louder than my refrigerator, or the central a/c running, but certainly FAR quieter than a vent hood. The only other convection oven I have experience with was a Thermador wall oven in our previous house. I think this Bosch range may be a little quieter than that wall oven. The convection mode, to me, is slightly louder than the regular bake mode, but I feel it's a pretty minor difference.

Hopefully that's helpful, but again, at least in my opinion, I don't consider the oven functions of the range to be noisy. I also have a Bosch microwave with the convection feature. Definitely the convection of the microwave is far noisier than that the range. Good luck!

o

Undecided - I'm going to amend what I wrote yesterday/above about the oven noise. My range is on, using convection bake mode right now. My refrigerator is, of course, on too. Our refrigerator is a less than 1 yr old GE Profile, so it's fairly new (i.e. not an older clunker)...the hum of the refrigerator is about twice as loud as the oven on convection bake and I don't find the refrigerator to be excessively loud. Really, you can hardly hear the oven unless you stand next to it, even on convection. I'm about 6' away from the range right now, and if I didn't KNOW it was on, I wouldn't have guessed it based on noise levels.

o

I have had the Bosch Benchmark 30 inch Dual Fuel since May (yes, I ordered without seeing it!). I previously had a Capital 30 inch 5 burner (closed), which I liked, but wanted a dual fuel this time around since I wasn't entirely happy with baking results on the all gas Capital. In comparison, I think I like the burner configuration on the Benchmark better, however the Capital still looks more like a pro series range IMO. It seems like the 5 burners are slightly more usable than on the Capital. I don't notice any difference in BTU's between the two, which is plenty high on both. It turns out the electric oven is fine, but on normal bake, you still need to rotate your items a bit. I guess most ovens are like this *sigh*. The preheat to 375 takes 10 minutes, which is faster than the all gas Capital, so I guess it was worth the money for the dual fuel. I haven't tried the warming drawer feature yet, though it is nice to have. All in all so far, so good. I would give it the thumbs up for someone wanting dual fuel, but not wanting to fork out the big bucks.

o

krugkeeper- Thanks for that mini review. I am looking at this exact range for a "someday" remodel. I love the look of the range and I'm glad to hear you like it!
Gorgeous kitchen, by the way... love your backsplash detail behind the range!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here