Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Is local tray storage needed for Miele steam, or speed ovens??

scrappy25
9 years ago

I am buying a used steam oven Miele DG4084. It may be switched out in a few or more years for the new combi-steam or the speed oven.

It is going under counter, and I have space under it for a 12 inch or two 6 inch drawers. Do I need to account for tray storage or do most of the trays live in the speed, combi-steam, or steam oven when not in use? I will have vertical tray storage elsewhere in the 10 x 13 kitchen, can I just store the trays with the other trays a few steps away?

thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (6)

• xedos
    9 years ago

Speed oven needs a place for the wire rack when you use the microwave only function - if you follow the directions to the letter.

The steamer needs storage for the trays you aren't using at the time. You could leave them in empty, but it's not the best method.

Besides, it's just good design to provide a storage space and landing space near/ next to an oven.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I have Advantium and Gaggenau, so the items are different. I'm very glad I heeded the advice I got here about having an Advantium tray drawer right under the unit. Some people prefer one level down so the open door doesn't block the drawer, but that doesn't bother me. What is a bother is that my model came with not only a wire rack, but two 16" round baking trays and a 16" round grill tray, to swap with the heavy 16" round glass tray. People who use vertical storage haven't been completely happy, and a friend who uses her bottom drawer, which she has other things in as well, doesn't often want to bother.

I don't know how that would translate to the Miele. If there's just one wire rack, it's really not a big problem, even if you store it across the kitchen.

For my steam oven, I got extra racks, perforated pans and solid pans, since I some times cook for mobs. The pizza stone for the big oven got the priority spot in the oven stack, and the best place I have for the extra steam oven pans is in a lower drawer under the Advantium, across the kitchen. I don't use them that often. Maybe once every other month, so that's no biggie. I do actually keep the rack, solid and perf pans that came with the oven in it. I could store them in the oven cabinets, but it's easier to take them in an out, and set aside the pieces I'm not using. I often want two together. YMMV.

The big issue, I think, is ease. If you have space in your vertical trays where the oven pans/racks have the room they need without being stacked with other things that need to be detangled, the few steps shouldn't be an issue. If you have to dig for them, no matter where they are, it may decrease the usefulness of the appliances. If you have a temporary bit of out of the way counter near the appliance, you can leave you rmost used bits in the oven except while you're using the oven for something else, cutting down on the number of times you have to root around for pans.

Whatever you can do to make your live easier is good. And if there's nothing you can do, try to be tidy, and maintain it that way in the face of uncaring family members, and do the best you can. :)

All the best on your new purchases.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

very helpful plllog, thank you! Really helps that you show your workflow with your different ovens.

BTW I pm'd you a question about your dual tapmaster, did you see that? If the pm function is not working should I post the question for you?
    thanks

• plllog
    9 years ago

Hi Scrappy. Glad that was useful. :) Yes, I thought I sent a reply on May 11th, but looking at it, I see that my e-mailer reverted to the GW address in the reply. I probably did something stupid, like a refresh. Since this is your thread, I'll just post it here:

I got my dual control Euro straight from Tapmaster. I didn't know if such a thing existed, just figured I wanted one and called and asked. They had it! And the people there seemed genuinely nice and very helpful.

Mine needs adjusting, and I haven't bothered. It seems to have lost some pressure, which might or might not have something to do with the dual controller. [I turned it off for about a week, that is put both controllers open so the faucet mixer had the control. That seems to have repressurized it. Or else the change in the weather did.] It still works fine, but sometimes takes a little fiddling. My installation area is quite tight, so I figured the best place to put the controllers would be on the mid-lines of the drain. It makes them very easy to find, but I'd more naturally use my left foot, and it's where the right foot is on both sides. I don't know if a kickplate would have been better for that, but it didn't take me too long to learn to shift my weight and use my right foot. Just not as thought-free as it might be.

That's the entire list of negatives. I don't have to extoll all the
    positives. You've read the threads and know how great they are.

Give 'em a call. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you. And I'm also sure that GW has contributed to their success. :)

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks again! That's awesome to know that the double Euros are available and again so helpful to hear from one with experience. :) Have a great weekend!

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

I have a Viking Combi, and use storage for pans as well. I would point out that if you need extra trays, it pays to shop around. Manufacturers want $100 and up for the plain trays and the slotted trays, but you can usually find pans on Amazon or a restaurant supply store for a fraction of the cost - search under hotel pans. Mine uses 2/3 size hotel pans for under $30 to $40