Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itshuman_gw

Need recos, and min distance between gas cooktop and hood

itshuman
9 years ago

Hi experts,

I am looking to buy this range hood, Ancona Chef Under Cabinet II Kitchen Range Hood in 36".

http://www.costco.com/Ancona-Chef-Under-Cabinet-II-Kitchen-Range-Hood.product.100034249.html

Would like to know if anyone has bought it and has good things to say about it.
Costco.com has pretty good reviews, and it has a higher CFM as well.
I am also planning to buy a higher BTU Wolf, or Viking cook top.
This rangehood is 10" in height and that would then only leave a 27" gap between the cooktop and the hood.
We are not very tall, so bumping our heads won't be an issue, but I would like to know if that meets the building code.
The recommended distance in the manufacturer manual is 30".

According to the code requirements, the metal hood can be 24" as well, as stated here:
SECTION 906 - DOMESTIC RANGE AND COOK TOP UNIT INSTALLATION
906.1 Vertical Clearance above Cooking Top. Domestic free-standing or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above
the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. When the underside of such combustible material is protected with insulating millboard at least 1/4 inch
(6 mm) thick covered with 0.021-inch-thick (0.41mm) (No. 28 U.S. gage) or a metal ventilating hood, the distance shall not be less than 24 inches (610 mm).

So, should I go ahead and buy it given that it will be 27" gap, or should I look around for some other model?
If yes, would love to have recommendations as well.

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (3)