Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

26 yr old Sub Zero 501 R is fading - seekiing replacement options

maire_cate
11 years ago

Our 26 year old Sub Zero needs repair and we're probably going to replace it instead. The unit is getting ice on the inside rear wall and our repair estimate is near $1200. That's too much for such an old unit although I still love it. The actual repair isn't that bad - it's the R19 recovery that adds significantly to the cost and they need 2 men to feed the tubing.

The 501 R has been replaced by the BI 36 -R and I can get a one for around $5500 plus delivery and install. Since the new ones are 83' and mine is only 74' I'll have to have the overhead cabinet removed and add some trim. My cabinets are also 25 years old and luckily the original company will custom mill and custom stain a wood panel for the front that will match. Our freezer is still working fine but it just might give up and putter away in shame when it sees the new competition across the room.

I did read this one post where the Miele was recommended. However I think it is more expensive that the Sub Zero and might not fit into the same space without major alterations.

No matter what I purchase this isn't an inexpensive purchase and before I plunk money down thought I'd check to see if anyone else has and suggestions.

Thanks, Maire

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele

Comments (8)

• ex007
    11 years ago

So your SZ frig lasted 26 years and you are wondering if you should buy a different brand? That's the equivalent of getting 200,000 miles out of your Ford truck and wondering if your next one should be a Chevy. :-) I wouldn't think of buying another brand.

• ex007
    11 years ago

So your SZ frig lasted 26 years and you are wondering if you should buy a different brand? That's the equivalent of getting 200,000 miles out of your Ford truck and wondering if your next one should be a Chevy. :-) I wouldn't think of buying another brand.

• mojavean
    11 years ago

Looks like you got two off on that volley, 007! ;)

Maire, that sounds like a great price for a SZ built-in. Have you been going to the deeageaux price-hound academy?

Really don't see how you could be too far off base just buying the SZ so long as the loss of the cabinet isn't too heart-breaking.

• azheng
    11 years ago

how much are custom panels for the BI 36R?

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't quote a one price fits all. If you're installing new kitchen cabinets then it's fairly easy to have your cabinet company make a matching panel for your unit.

Our cabinets were installed 26 years ago and although the original company is still in business they no longer make my style panel nor do they use the same stain. I actually got an even better price on my BI 36R then what I originally quoted above so I didn't have any qualms about going the custom panel route.

The cabinet company asked me to give them one of my existing door fronts so that they could custom mill an identical panel and also do a custom stain match. I paid $1600 for two wood panels - one for the refrigerator and a smaller one for the grill. That price also included some cabinetry work since I had to remove the small cabinet above my refrigerator since the BI 36 is taller than the 501F it replaced. It also included the Sub Zero Pro handle that I ordered.

I really like this new unit. It is incredibly quiet, much quieter than the old one and maintains a set temperature perfectly.

• azheng
    11 years ago

Thanks, maire. I'm trying to get an estimate amount for my kitchen remodel. It's also really good to hear that you like your new SZ fridge!

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well this old thread popped up - not sure why, perhaps there was a spam post.

But in case anyone is wondering about the life span of a SZ - our 501 F was still working perfectly when we moved 4 years ago which made it 35 years old.

For our new home we also went with SZ - the 42" French Door and it is amazingly quiet with a great layout.