Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
26 yr old Sub Zero 501 R is fading - seekiing replacement options

Posted by maire_cate (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 14:59

Our 26 year old Sub Zero needs repair and we're probably going to replace it instead. The unit is getting ice on the inside rear wall and our repair estimate is near $1200. That's too much for such an old unit although I still love it. The actual repair isn't that bad - it's the R19 recovery that adds significantly to the cost and they need 2 men to feed the tubing.

The 501 R has been replaced by the BI 36 -R and I can get a one for around $5500 plus delivery and install. Since the new ones are 83' and mine is only 74' I'll have to have the overhead cabinet removed and add some trim. My cabinets are also 25 years old and luckily the original company will custom mill and custom stain a wood panel for the front that will match. Our freezer is still working fine but it just might give up and putter away in shame when it sees the new competition across the room.

I did read this one post where the Miele was recommended. However I think it is more expensive that the Sub Zero and might not fit into the same space without major alterations.

No matter what I purchase this isn't an inexpensive purchase and before I plunk money down thought I'd check to see if anyone else has and suggestions.

Thanks, Maire

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 26 yr old Sub Zero 501 R is fading - seekiing replacement opt

So your SZ frig lasted 26 years and you are wondering if you should buy a different brand? That's the equivalent of getting 200,000 miles out of your Ford truck and wondering if your next one should be a Chevy. :-) I wouldn't think of buying another brand.

o

So your SZ frig lasted 26 years and you are wondering if you should buy a different brand? That's the equivalent of getting 200,000 miles out of your Ford truck and wondering if your next one should be a Chevy. :-) I wouldn't think of buying another brand.

o

Looks like you got two off on that volley, 007! ;)

Maire, that sounds like a great price for a SZ built-in. Have you been going to the deeageaux price-hound academy?

Really don't see how you could be too far off base just buying the SZ so long as the loss of the cabinet isn't too heart-breaking.

o

Thanks mojavean - I do consider myself lucky that I can readily the upper cabinet and still get a panel to match my Cabinet.

I was surprised at that price myself. First I went to Fretz, the local distributor and the representative told me that Sub Zero now includes the MSRP on the website. The Stainless is much higher ( BI-36R/S -Classic Stainless $6,970)then the one that accepts the panel (BI-36R/O - Overlay $5,915), but you still have to factor in the cost of the custom panel.

My local Appliance store also has a location in an Urban Enterprise Zone and they'll process the sale there and only charge me 3 1/2% sales tax rather than the 7%.

Now with a little luck my freezer will continue to run for many years.

o

how much are custom panels for the BI 36R?

o

I can't quote a one price fits all. If you're installing new kitchen cabinets then it's fairly easy to have your cabinet company make a matching panel for your unit.

Our cabinets were installed 26 years ago and although the original company is still in business they no longer make my style panel nor do they use the same stain. I actually got an even better price on my BI 36R then what I originally quoted above so I didn't have any qualms about going the custom panel route.

The cabinet company asked me to give them one of my existing door fronts so that they could custom mill an identical panel and also do a custom stain match. I paid $1600 for two wood panels - one for the refrigerator and a smaller one for the grill. That price also included some cabinetry work since I had to remove the small cabinet above my refrigerator since the BI 36 is taller than the 501F it replaced. It also included the Sub Zero Pro handle that I ordered.

I really like this new unit. It is incredibly quiet, much quieter than the old one and maintains a set temperature perfectly.

o

Thanks, maire. I'm trying to get an estimate amount for my kitchen remodel. It's also really good to hear that you like your new SZ fridge!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here