Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any trouble with GE Refrigerator Noise?

Posted by williamb2000 (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 14:50

I just bought a SxS GE HS5KGX 25.4 refrigerator that makes a lot of noise - a very annoying high-pitched wavering and grating noise a bit like a cricket. I called GE service, and the GE repairman who visited said that the noise was completely normal and that the refrigerator could also make a lot of other, worse noises (is it a ruminant?). He told me bluntly, "GE doesn't make a quiet refrigerator".

I assume that GE tries to avoid fixing anything short of a frozen compressor and hopes that I will just accept that I must endure the equivalent of someone running their fingers down a chalkboard in my kitchen. That's not going to happen, and Home Depot has begrudgingly agreed to do what GE wouldn't and allow me to exchange it for another from their store.

So the question is whether the noise is isolated to this model, or is it present in other GE refrigerators. Does anyone else have any experience?

I would prefer not to buy another GE at all since their installation (another story) and service have been horrible, but Home Depot unfortunately is heavy with GE models.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any trouble with GE Refrigerator Noise?

Ihave a GE CDFD--it's quiet.

o

We have the GE Profile - CDFD. It was ridiculously loud and I had the service guy out 3 times. !#$#@ - they kept sending the same guy and after the last time I refused to let him back in my home. He even scratched the new wood floor...but that is another issue. Anyways, after calling and calling the place we got it - they did speak with the GE rep and replaced the fridge with a new one. Ends up at swapping time they found the first one did have a leak and was thus causing the loud noise. Our new one is fine. The energy efficient ones are "louder" than others but we were amazed with the plane-like sound the faulty one had. We called our kitchen the tarmac because it felt as if we were going to take off. Keep hounding GE... they should def. do something.

o

Mine is a GE Profile Arctica and it lately has been making a prolongewd "whining" noise. Only on the refrig side, not the freezer side. Very annoying. I'll see what the service folk say but it didn't make that noise when it was new two years ago. Have cleaned what I can when removing the bottom rear panel. Was actually pretty clean.

o

I just bought a GE 25.8 FD refrigerator -- very simple model -- not all the bells and whistles -- capability for internal ice and filtered water, but we are not hooking them up. Very quiet -- occasionally hear a bit of a hum when the compressor is cooling things down -- otherwise, nothing. This replaced a 24-year old model that was so loud I could hear it on the upstairs floor. We bought at Best Buy -- the floor models were all plugged in so we could hear what they sounded like before we purchased. Had our refrigerator been louder than the floor model, I would have known it was a problem. Luckily for us, ours is very quiet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here