Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamb2000

Any trouble with GE Refrigerator Noise?

williamb2000
14 years ago

I just bought a SxS GE HS5KGX 25.4 refrigerator that makes a lot of noise - a very annoying high-pitched wavering and grating noise a bit like a cricket. I called GE service, and the GE repairman who visited said that the noise was completely normal and that the refrigerator could also make a lot of other, worse noises (is it a ruminant?). He told me bluntly, "GE doesn't make a quiet refrigerator".

I assume that GE tries to avoid fixing anything short of a frozen compressor and hopes that I will just accept that I must endure the equivalent of someone running their fingers down a chalkboard in my kitchen. That's not going to happen, and Home Depot has begrudgingly agreed to do what GE wouldn't and allow me to exchange it for another from their store.

So the question is whether the noise is isolated to this model, or is it present in other GE refrigerators. Does anyone else have any experience?

I would prefer not to buy another GE at all since their installation (another story) and service have been horrible, but Home Depot unfortunately is heavy with GE models.

Comments (4)