Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pearl_manwani

Please help on appliances options - so confused!!

Newyorking
14 years ago

Hi

This is the second time I am posting, but with different choices. I am soooo confused with all the options, so the more people that post replies the better. I am renovating the entire kitchen, and below are appliance choices:

Cooktop: Wolf 36" gas cooktop, 5 burners

Dishwasher: Miele Optima

Refrigerator: Miele or Sub-Zero 36". This is beyond my budget, so are there other options? I looked at Liebherr but found the interior to be a bit cheaply done. I also looked at other options (KA, etc.), but I don't like the interior plastic. Sub-zero seemed to be the surdiest; I have to look at Miele.

Wall Oven: Bosch 300. Is this a good choice? I don't use the oven as much and want it around just in case. Also, since I am spending more on the fridge, I want to economize on the oven.

Microwave: Bosch to match, or Sharp. I need to have a 36" microwave to go with the cooktop. My building won't allow a venthood, so I need an over the range vent MW.

Please let me know your thoughts. I don't use the oven much, and I use the MV just to heat things. I use the cooktop the most for cooking if at all. Here is the order of appliance usage: fridge, dishwasher, cooktop, MW, oven.

Thanks everyone!

Comments (9)

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to add. Is it okay to use a trim kit with a 30" microwave to make it 36" to go with the cooktop?

• cookingmama
    14 years ago

I am in a similar situation.
    Here is what I have so far

Miele 30" induction cooktop + 12" gas wok burner
    Miele 36" (either all fridge or fridge/freezer) - this being our most used appliance, we may splurge on this one at the expense of the oven
    Miele Optima or Diamente D/W
    Single wall oven - not decided, need a 27"
    Microwave - most likely a Sharp, with a 27" trim kit
    Beverage center - either Perlick or U-Line

I have not heard of a 36" trim kit from any of the standard oven manufacurers.

Hope that hasn't confused u more :)

CookingMama

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Well, you know the ventilation folks will chastise you for attempting a 36" gas range with no ventilation. In that regard, an induction cooktop would be better with a OTR MW as your only source of 'ventilation' (actually recirculation).

You didn't give a budget.

If you don't really use the wall oven, then I would say to pick the least expensive that matches the looks of the other appliances.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    14 years ago

There are several 36" Options in OTR's

JVM3670 GE Profile
    JMV8186 Jenn-Air
    KHMS2056SSS Kitchenaid

The trim kit option has never really been successful.

The Miele unit is an excellent piece in terms of a refrigerator but relatively new and untested(not that I have doubts, miele is a great company)

You should however look into getting an older 600 series subzero. I know they have 661/S units left over in the New York/New Jersey Area and that would knock about $1000 off the price. The other option at least in my area is to do a framed unit and see about getting the SS panels for free if your doing a Stainless Front.

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

That really is a great suggestion, joboxes.

When we built a custom home. we outfitted the kitchen with a 48" Model 532 Sub Zero that was "discontinued". It saved us big bucks and we have never considered it old. Besides, the custom wood panels would have been the same on the 632.

• alwaysfixin
    14 years ago

When you say "your building won't allow a venthood", I think what is actually the rule is that your building won't allow you to exhaust to the outside. In other words, you CAN have a recirculating hood. It's not that the building rules are that you must have an OTR MW, but that you must not have something that needs to vent to the outside. My advice is to get a proper 36" hood over your 36" cooktop, and have the hood be a recirculating style hood. Especially given the powerful Wolf cooktop you are contemplating.

The problem with any so-called "36" OTR MW", like the models Joboxes cited, is that (A) they are really 30" MW's with stuck-on "wings" to get them to be 36" wide, (B) consequently, they look ugly/strange, and (C) also consequently, you won't get any kind of exhaust function at all. Even a 30" MW over a 30" cooktop doesn't do much because there is very little capture area other than a couple of squares toward the back. And with the 36" OTR MW setup you are envisioning, you will get no exhaust over the front burners AND no exhaust over the sides. This setup would not be a good use of your money, throwing it away actually. You may as well spend that money elsewhere and just open a window to vent for all the help a 36" OTR MW over that Wolf cooktop is going to give you.

There have been a number of discussions on this forum about recirculating hoods. You will be much happier, and it will look slick too. Really, if you are going to be spending all this money, plus the stress, of a kitchen re-do, you should not get a 36" OTR MW over that excellent Wolf cooktop.

I am linking a search on this Forum where I just typed in "recirculating hood", and came up with a number of threads. I am sure you'll find good suggestions in these threads.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Results for Threads on Recirculating Hoods

• dlspellman
    14 years ago

Have you considered the Thermador Freedom line of refrigerators? I have them and love them.

I also have the GE Profile Oven and 120 Advantium paired on a wall. The 120 Advantium is fantastic as it can be a pure microwave,or a pure convection oven, or a speed cooker (combines microwaving and oven to cook faster),or a warming drawer, and it even proofs bread. The advantium comes in 27: and 30" wall units, or is also available in an OTR model. So basically the Advantium gives you a second oven for the holidays when the Turkey is in the big oven! And other times it gives you a small oven that doesn't require preheating or a microwave the rest of the time. All in one unit! It's a lifesaver.

I also have the Mieli Dishwasher (Inspira) and love it.

Finally, if you haven't considered induction, I encourage you to. It's FABULOUS - I did the 30" GE Profile (no SS trim). So fast and responsive and a breeze to clean. You won't miss gas a bit, and SO much better than basic electric smoothtop.
    Hope this helps.

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I saw the Miele fridge but like the Sub-Zero better. I like the new model so will be going with that. My total budget was $10K, but with the Sub-Zero I don't want to go beyond $15K including tax, delivery, warranty, etc.

Which vent hood should I go for? I really don't want to spend that much, and anything decent will do. I guess my kitchen plan will have to change then. My architect said that as long as I don't use all 4 burners on high at a time, and keep a 2 feet distance between the cooktop and MW, I should be fine. I also have two windows in the kitchen, one next to the cooktop. Do I still need a vent hood?

• shershouse
    14 years ago

Subzero has a promo now if you buy a fridge and range you get $500 rebate, if you add more appliances the rebate jumps to $1000 and $1500 max. This may be for the local appliance store or for everywhere--I am not sure. ABT is a huge store in the Chicago area and where everyone here goes for selection and price.
    I am building and here are my choices:
    fridge: subzero
    Range top: Wolf
    Oven: Miele (liked the Miele for the big window and 4 lights to see into the oven-they also have a rotisserie )
    Dishwasher: Kitchenaid (Miele came in a close second)
    Micro--haven't picked a microwave yet
    ABT electronics will ship anywhere and you won't have to pay tax, if you live out of state from Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan (I think that is all) YOu'd have to check--this might be a big savings for you

Here is a link that might be useful: wolf/subzero rebate form