Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikevicki

gas cooktop vs gas rangetop

mikevicki
11 years ago

We are currently in the midst of a major kitchen remodel. I'm wanting to go with double wall ovens, so I'm looking to a 36" gas cook top or a 36" gas range top. Wondering if one is advantageous over another or is it just personal preference. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (9)

• Fori
    11 years ago

Rangetop gives you more cooking surface and a "pro" look. A cooktop is usually easier to clean due to a more seamless counter-to-appliance interface and knobs are less likely to be bumped by stomachs and fiddled with by toddlers.

So they both have pros and cons. You just have to decide what aspects are important to you.

• sophie123
    11 years ago

You will get more burners typically with rangtop (6) vs cooktop has 5. Also rangetops tend to be more BTUs per burner. Cooktop knobs get dirtier because they are closer to splattering pans. With a cooktop you can get one big burner (with surround area) which i like.

The primary reason i went with a cooktop was because the cooktop i was looking at let me have top drawers underneath while the rangetop wouldnt allow that.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

GW Deegenaux (sorry if name mis-spelled but wish to give credit) pointed out this Ebay buyer some time ago and I bookmarked it.

I find this GAGGENAU 36" GAS COOKTOP RANGETOP STAINLESS AND ALUMINUM a feast for one's eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: This may help:

• mikevicki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for pointing out the pros of each, now to decide.....

• billy_g
    11 years ago

Another issue to consider -- smoke and heat from an oven in a range will be sucked out by your range hood. With a rangetop and separate wall ovens you need to think about the proximity of your wall ovens to your ventilation.

We have a rangetop and love it but we do set off the smoke detector sometimes when using our wall ovens.

Another thing -- a rangetop lets you put lots of drawers underneath to store your heavy pots and pans and keep them accessible for cooking.

Billy

• janjan212
    11 years ago

I think as far as looks go, it depends on your kitchen. I have a 36" gas cooktop and although I have always loved the look of the Pro style range tops, I think it would look too beefy for my space. I also I like that I am not leaning onto the knobs when I stand in front of the cooktop. A few years ago, if I had to chose I could have jumped on the range top, but today I would do the opposite. Funny how your tastes/opinions change....

• billy_g
    11 years ago

Sorry about my previous post -- I misread the question as cooktop (or rangetop) versus range. Just put me on ignore...

Billy

• jejvtr
    11 years ago

When we remodeled and considered this -Ended up w/range, as I did not want to lose counter space with wall ovens & it would have increased cabinetry costs to house the wall ovens