Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

Wall Oven Heat vs. Range Oven Heat

djdoggone
10 years ago

Will a wall oven heat the house as much as a range oven does?

We've made serious energy improvements in our 845 s.f. cottage and are getting roasted by our GE range oven. It was humorous in the dead of New England winter to have to open windows to cool down after cooking -- the Broan exhaust fan needed help -- but now that the warm weather is here we are worrying we will be air conditioning just to cook.

The plan is to replace the range with a cooktop and a Miele Combi Steam/Convection oven (once they get the kinks out) but don't know if it will help. Anyone know?

Comments (6)

• jadeite
    10 years ago

How old is your GE range? In our last home we placed the older range with a new, energy-efficient model and found a huge difference in the amount of heat produced. The old range added a lot of heat, enough that we could turn the thermostat down a little in winter when I was doing a lot of baking. The new range was slightly warm to the touch, but that was it.

In our new home, we have a wall oven which is even more efficient than the new range. It blows warmed air into the kitchen, but it's never made the kitchen feel hot, even in the middle of summer. It's not a Miele, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Cheryl

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

I would say it depends on the brands. For instance, I have a Viking wall oven and a bluestar range. The Viking, even on 500, stays cool to the touch. The bluestar, on the other hand, gets relatively warm. Not enough to burn anyone but still warm nonetheless. Of course once you open either oven, you'll feel the heat woosh out, but that goes for any brand.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Depends on the range and it depends on the wall oven.

Gaggenau and Wolf L series are the best insulated wall ovens with the Wolf E Series and Miele just a little behind.

Capital ranges are the best insulated ranges with Wolf just a little behind.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The GE is probably 5 years old. Wouldn't expect big difference for newer model.

Are wall ovens more insulated than range ovens?

• wekick
    10 years ago

Posted by deeageaux

Gaggenau and Wolf L series are the best insulated wall ovens with the Wolf E Series and Miele just a little behind.

Capital ranges are the best insulated ranges with Wolf just a little behind.

Can you give a credible source for this supposition? Are you talking about Wolf gas or DF?
    In general a gas oven has more ventilation and heat loss than an electric oven.

The amount of heat in your kitchen depends on a combination of
    --how the oven is ventilated
    --the size of the oven cavity that you are heating
    --the insulation
    It could also be influenced by where and how it is installed.
    If there were some sort of energy use ratings, it might give a rough idea. I would think since you are heating a smaller space and a more sealed oven(steam), you would be better off. Insulation would be difficult to speak to.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds like Miele wall oven might be better than GE range. Here's hoping.

Thanks all for taking the time to share info.