Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchenaid dishwasher vent issues

Posted by kellyja58 (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 14:10

To all Kitchenaid dishwasher owners, I am preparing to purchase a dishwasher and have read much on these forums about the issues with moisture venting out on cabinets and under the counter. Can any recent new owners tell me if you are experiencing problems with this. Kitchenaid says vents stay closed during cycle unless door is opened. If that is the case, I don't understand how people are reporting problems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchenaid dishwasher vent issues

I have had no problems at all. The door and vent on mine is slightly outside the adjacent cabinet, but I have seen absolutely NO steam or moisture coming from the vent. I've only read one person post about a vent/moisture problem, which is not to say there haven't been more, but it certainly isn't something that is posted frequently. I read a lot of threads here about KA dishwashers before I purchased mine 2 months ago and never read anything about this problem. My KA works perfectly.

o

I am the original poster who complained about the vent issues. My appliance store concurs with the conclusion and is replacing my unit. Not because of any malfunction, but because of a design flaw.

My dishwasher also works perfectly. I do not SEE the moisture coming from the vent, but after the cycle is run, it vents the moisture in to my cabinetry. If your dishwasher is installed FLUSH with the cabinetry (and I have full overlay doors), you WILL in fact get moisture there. It is indeed a vent. Kitchenaid and the service tech confirmed it. I also put a piece of paper between my cabinetry and the dishwasher, ran ProWash and ProDry cycles, and it came out soaked.

I absolutely love the dishwasher and wish it weren't an issue. But who on earth places a vent on the side? Especially when most cabinetry is wood or wood-based. I purchased a dishwasher such as this to have a flush look, not to have it stick out from the cabinets.

I asked my appliance salesman why I seem to be the only one complaining about this, and apparently I'm not. There will be more. It is a NEW design and it is bound to cause problems.

o

The instructions refer to the installation of the supplied moisture strip to solve this problem. 5-0, was this installed on yours? This strip has been part of the Kitchen Aid dishwasher installation for years and is an EFFECTIVE solution.

That being said, KA dishwashers are deeper than others and the strip and vent work when installed into a 24 inch cabinet. If your dishwasher is in fact flush with wooden panels, this would require a deeper cabinet and this could very well cause a moisture issue but should be an isolated case.

o

aprince: the vent is on the SIDE of the door, not on top. Do you suppose I should put a strip on my new cabinetry on the SIDE of my drawers that butt up against the vent? This is a new design of the doors...there is NO vent on top. If there was a vent on top, this would be a non-issue as I have soapstone countertops.

Here is a pic to better describe (as in my original post).

Top of the door:

Photobucket

Side of the door:

Photobucket

Paper placed in between door and cabinetry during ProWash and ProDry:

Photobucket

o

Great job of explaining that venting problem. We're on the verge of installing a Kitchenaid flush and now know something more to look for-thanks!

o

Top vent KUDE 70, installed in Feb 2010. No problems at all. No visible steam or moisture. DW extends about width of door out of cabinet but is covered on top by the granite counter overhang. Neither wood or granite shows any signs of moisture.

o

Can you please tell me model # of this KitchenAid dishwasher you are having issues with? Im about to buy one - #KUDC10IXSS and want to make sure i dont have this model and this problem! Thanks!

o

My new Kenmore Elite has the same venting...actually it looks almost identical to your KitchenAid in many ways so I suspect they are the same manufacturer. The door stands proud of the cabinet door a bit, but not completely, and actually is tilted out a bit more at the top than at the bottom. The top edge is just about flush with the edge of the countertop which is a standard overhang. The vent has baffles that face downward, so most of the steam should vent down the side edge of the door. For us, it isn't a problem since we just have a filler panel there. I haven't noticed it being wet but I haven't looked during or immediately after a cycle since we run the dishwasher at night.

o

Trixieinthegarden, if the top is tilted out more than the bottom the DW is not level and that might cause problems down the road. It sounds like you need to extend the feet in the front or shim the front a little to level it out. If it was professionally installed they should have balanced it for you.

o

It is installed correctly and it is level. It was installed by the company. It's designed that way. I suspect it was redesigned to correct some of this venting issue.

o

SSShayne...the model number of my previous Kitchenaid was KUDE60FXSS. It's simple to see though, if you are in the store, just check where the vent is located. My biggest issue was that this is supposed to be a fully integrated DW and to have it stick out from the cabinets defeats that purpose. If you have to install it sticking out, then it isn't fully integrated in my eyes.

My appliance store willingly replaced the Kitchenaid with a Bosch SHX58E15UC and I love it. Cleans, holds at least as much, if not more than the Kitchenaid since the tines on the racks are closer together. Has the cutlery tray on top. Very pleased with it.

o

Thanks! Glad it worked out for you!

o

Wow - good to know. I am/was going to get the KUDE70 but I am going to be sure to check where the vent is now. Yikes.

Anyone other KitchenAid Dishwasher owners have this problem? Just wondering how wide spread the problem is.

o

I have the ProLine series with the side vent and do not have a problem.

That being said, I'm going to try the paper-test and see just how much moisture does come out the vent.

The KA ProLine gets really, really, really warm with the heat-dry on. Basically we tend to run it overnight, as our electricity is 1/2 the price at night and it's best to let the d/w go through its entire cycle and cool down on it's own terms.

Like everyone else, I simply don't understand the rationale behind a side vent, but there it is. I tend to put a bit of faith in the engineers who decided and continue to decide that this vent design works just fine.

o

TorontoTim: Proline is just the handle option on your dishwasher, but basically yours is a KUDE 40. I don't understand the rationale with the side vent either, other than there is nowhere else to put it on a fully integrated machine (where all the buttons are hidden in the top). I even had warping of my drawer next to the vent from all the moisture, along with moisture inside the drawer and under the counter above the drawer. Thankfully, we caught it relatively fast and the warped drawer has since returned to normal.

Had I not had the vent issue, coupled with the fact that the tech people from my appliance store acknowledged that it is an issue that they have been seeing, I would have been very happy with the machine. It cleaned well, was quiet, and had a lot of options that I loved. Again, this was the ONLY reason I switched, and their willingness to exchange a $1500 machine for a brand new machine of a different manufacturer (Bosch) after a months worth use tells me more than any faith I would have in the engineers who design them.

o

I wasn't lucky enough to have a dealer that stood behind what he sold.
Steam is definitely coming out of the side vent, and directly onto the cabinetry. Kitchenaid says that the vent only opens up when the inside of the dishwasher is cool. (see the link) This is wrong, the tech at my house called the Kitchenaid service center, under instructions from Kitchenaid after my complaint, and was told it is open all during the dry cycle. I have measured the temp outside the vent with a lab thermometer, and during the dry cycle, it gets to 125 degrees, plus. Its at least 95 degrees during the entire 3 hour cycle. I have pictures of this, but cannot upload them here.

I have a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, and a Master Electricians License, I cannot believe that the engineers at Whirlpool are claiming this is anything but a very bad design. They need to retake freshman physics.

Looking at the parts list, I can see that this problem is restricted to the KUDE 40 series. Higher level dishwashers have a vent pipe that pushes the vent to the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchenaid explanation.

o

Thompres...my model was the KUDE60...so it is not limited to the KUDE40 series.

I am thankful we chose the dealer that we did...because I would have been stuck with a dishwasher that would eventually (and it showed early signs of in the month I had it) ruin my cabinetry.

o

We are looking at the KUDE70FXSS. Does anyone know if it has the same problem or if it is not involved...like thompres believes? Thanks.

o

We have the KUDE70 with the panel mount option and it also vents out the sides. It has a gasket all the way around the outside, just behind the door area, so the steam doesn't go back inside the cabinets. I suggest you tell your cabinetmaker and contractor about this issue so they can build and/or modify the cabinets so the steam does not go deep into your cabinets. Make sure the cabinet opening for the dishwasher has walls on the sides so the gasket can seal against them. Finally, the cabinet opening width for the dishwasher is critical because if it is too tight the steam cannot escape easily. Also, the finish on the inside of the dishwasher opening should be a commercial high quality finish, not latex paint.

It's a great dishwasher!

Billy

o
RE: Kitchenaid dishwasher vent issues-2

Also, make sure your cabinets are deep enough for this dishwasher. I would go with 25" deep cabinets on the dishwasher run. We had to hack out the drywall behind the dishwasher to kind of get it to fit.

See the dimension guide below, which shows a 24-1/2 inch depth.

Billy

Here is a link that might be useful: KUDE70 Dimension Guide

o
RE: Kitchenaid dishwasher vent issues-3

But having the dishwasher protrude a little from the cabinet front helps to allow the steam to vent!

Billy

o

You might want to check for some of the other KA models. I have the KA KUDS30IVSS and it DOES NOT have a side vent on the door.

o

If steam is coming out of the fresh air vent in the upper left side of the door, your unit is probably broken. Whirlpool has put out a Technical service pointer to instruct service repair people how to repair the problem. If your service person thinks steam should come out of this vent during any of the dishwasher cycles have him or her google "technical service pointer W10436103". It explains why it is happening and how to diagnose and fix the problem. This google search worked as of 11-14-2011, however it is for service personnel so they may disable the ability to view this in the future.

I should state I am not with Whirlpool or any of its subsidiaries. I am the owner of a Kitchenaid with the door vent as described in these posts which is why I was researching this (fortunately my dishwasher is working correctly). The vent itself is supposed to help prevent the dreaded "fishy" smell many people have complained about with vent less European style dishwashers (google "bosch smells"). The vent will open if you haven't opened the door within six hours after the completion of the drying cycle. The KUDE 60 and KUDE 70 also use this vent to draw air into the dishwasher during the ProDry cycle. These units use a fan to exhaust the steam out of a vent located on the front of the dishwasher just below the door on the left side during which time the vent on the upper left side of the door opens to allow fresh air in. The fan then stops and the top left vent closes for six hours or until the door is opened.

I am not an expert and I certainly do not speak for Kitchenaid. I am simply passing on what I found in my research of this problem. I will continue to occasionally check the upper left hand vent to make sure it isn't allowing warm air and moisture to escape and collect on my cabinets, but I still like the idea that I don't have to leave my dishwasher door ajar to allow fresh air to circulate in and out of the dishwasher.

o

My apologies. My previous post stated the side vent closes for six hours after the drying cycle ends on the KUDE 60 & KUDE 70 models. It appears the fan actually runs for an additional hour after the drying cycle ends and then it stops and the side vent closes for five hours unless the door is opened sooner. I want to stress I may be wrong on some of this as I am not an expert but this is what is described in the Whirlpool service document.

o

@mbk815: thanks for the update this should help all new buyers of KA dishwashers.

o

Just got a replacement for my burnt Kitchenaid diswasher. No side vent issue on my new KUDE60HXSS. KA was very professional about replacing my defective KUDE03FTSS2 dishwasher which had a defective electronic control board. KUDE60 is a much better unit and quieter than my old unit. You have to be honest about what you want and communicate your concerns and KA will do their best to honor your wish. Today I bought another Whirpool laundry Cabrio HE washer because I have a strong faith in Whirpool/KitchenAid products.

o

Hate to bring an old thread back to life but I just bought a maytag dishwasher(under same ownership as kitchenaid) and im concerned about the side vent. More importantly I noticed it has a black rubber seal thats around the door and and sticks out to the side and im squishing it when putting it in the 24" cabinet opening. Is this going to cause leaking?

o

Just installed a KUDE70FXSS(5). I think the 5 at the end of the model signifies the generation of the model. Mine was built in August of 2013. I've attached photos of the vent below the door and the one on the side that doesn't seem attached to anything. So as stated in one of the posts above, this is an intake vent used to provide fresh air for the pro dry feature and also to bring in fresh air after a cycle.

I do have another question about venting and moisture. Why do the installation instructions say to apply a moisture barrier tape under the cabinet? This was not included with the dishwasher and I can't see how moisture would get under the cabinet.

photo Kitchenaid_Vent_zps2e62d24a.jpg

photo Kitchenaid_Vent2_zps178b0ad3.jpg

photo Kitchenaid_Vent3_zps72c5c403.jpg

o

Geobrick, Does the vent at the bottom of the door release enough steam to be a problem with wood floors? I was at Sears recently, and they were saying that the steam is released at the side vent, and they didn't even know about the vent at the bottom of the door. At a local, family owned appliance store, the sales person didn't even know it had a side vent! Thanks to this web site, I get more information here than at the appliance stores.

o

Does the vent at the bottom of the door on the KA's d/w release enough steam to be a problem with wood floors? I had a refrigerator icemaker leak and had to repair the wood floors....so I am kind of skittish. I like the third tray, but would like to keep the cost under $1,000. Currently looking at the KA, KUDE20FBSS.
I was at Sears recently, and they were saying that the steam is released at the side vent, and they didn't even know about the vent at the bottom of the door. At a local, family owned appliance store, the sales person didn't even know it had a side vent! Thanks to this web site, I get more information here than at the appliance stores.

o

Found this online.

Here is a link that might be useful: ProDry

o

I purchased KitchenAid KUDE48FX model during October 2012. My third dishwasher. Never thought to ask about how it "vents" so the venting issue with this model became a problem when I discovered a large black stain on the wood cabinetry near the upper left side of it. My other dishwashers were similarly positioned between two oak wood cabinets and were no problem. Sales people at local appliance stores seem oblivious to the presence of this vent -- blissfully sell them based on other features. I am scrapping this $1100 mistake and replacing it with a different brand. Look at the attached image, and perhaps you will also wonder a) why design it this way? or b) why not train sales people to be alert to its potentially harmful effect on kitchen cabinetry? Shame on KitchenAid for this design; and shame on me for thinking a reputable appliance store might be knowledgeable enough to save me from this blunder.

o

old thread, but useful. Got a KDTE404DSS with ProDry. If you go by the Kitchenaid tech drawing someone else linked to, the vent on the side of the door is an intake for the ProDry blower. It supposedly blows the moist air out the bottom. I have concerns about this now because we have hardwood floors. Maybe now we didn't want ProDry. Simple heated dry would have been just fine (no venting outside the machine). Is there a way to disable the ProDry fan so it operates basically as regular Heated Dry?

o

Yes the side vent is an intake. If the dishwasher is NOT operating properly though it can lead to the damper being open when it shouldn't which causes the issues discussed in this thread. I wouldn't worry about the bottom vent, as you can see in the pictures above it is above the kickplate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here