Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BlueStar owners--lube your door!

Posted by chairthrower (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 14:02

I have a 3 year old BlueStar and I love it, and yes, the oven door was starting to get hard to open. I had never lubricated the hinges.

Well, I went and Googled "food safe high temperature grease" and I bought the first result, even though it's a pound of grease and cost close to $30 with shipping. I realized $30 for grease for a stove that costs well over 100 times that, and will last the life of the stove, is a worthwhile investment.

Just a smear on the hinges and operate the door a few times, and it was better than new. The door opens easily and completely, yet doesn't feel loose either. And I have enough grease I'm not going to feel bad about doing it every few months.

I don't know what the requirements are for the V1 and newer stoves, but if you have an older BlueStar, keeping the hinges lubricated is a cheap and simple thing to do. I know there have been stuck door problems on this forum, and I think I was heading toward that in a few months if I hadn't taken action.

So consider this a public service announcement. Lube your door. I don't care if you think you shouldn't, or that other manufacturers say you don't need to lube their doors. If you need to, just do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: High temperature food safe grease

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BlueStar owners--lube your door!

Unless you have already had your door replaced by Bluestar, you still have the old hinge design which was prone to lockups. There is a roller bearing mounted on a pin that must slide in and out of a slot. The problem, as reported, was that this pin seizes up in the slot. I have not experienced the problem with my range, but if I do, I am contacting Bluestar for the oven door fix. If I were you, I would call BS and have them send you the new design, which reportedly eliminates the problem.

o

The grease doesn't last in my experience. Even with recent silicone grease on the hinges my door would lock up. Higher temps make it progressively worse.

o

Chairthrower: I'm glad you have had success with the lube but even cheaper than the lube is to contact bs and they will send you a new door with new hinge design for $0

o

Chairthrower: I'm glad you have had success with the lube but even cheaper than the lube is to contact bs and they will send you a new door with new hinge design for $0

o

Crap...my smartphone did it again! Sorry for the double post. At least I think I figured out how/why its happening now.

o

Did you give your smartphone an IQ or memory test?

Unsigned

o

chairthrower: I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but the grease you mentioned has a spec of 300 F which in my book is not high temp. When I was lubing my Bluestar door I used Haynes 500 plus in spray form which is rated up to 500 F ( see link). I had no problems with my door but as a preventative I did take advantage of the Bluestar replacement door policy so now I have the newer door with the updated hinges and I am not having to lube any more. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Haynes 500 Plus Grease

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here