Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdw829

Reasonable Appliance Budget? Specific Recommendations?

rdw829
11 years ago

Looking for advice on what would be considered a 'reasonable' appliance budget. We are looking for good appliances that will be reliable. They don't need to be professional grade - just quality that will last - without breaking the bank.

Looking to do stainless steel. Open to French door or side by side for fridge. Must have water in the door. Preferably counter depts (but prob. not a requirement). Gast range (does not need to be slide in)

Cost and Quality (reliability) are the main considerations.

Looking for specific recommendations as well for Refrigerator, Range (Gas), Dishwasher and OTR Microwave.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• sjerin
    11 years ago

That's the $64,000 question! We'd all love to get long-lasting quality, but I don't know if it exists any more. I'm sorry that I'm no help to you.

• Shira S
    11 years ago

We spent about $8k - we got a 36" GE Monogram rangetop, 2 KA dishwashers, a Fridgidaire double oven, 2 GE profile spacesaver microwaves, and a counter depth KA side by side.

• maries1120
    11 years ago

Consumer Reports rated Whirlpool high in (I think) every category for reliability/fewest repairs. They didn't have a couple of things I wanted although the new range they just released was beautiful. I went with all Kitchenaid but it will be a few months until I get to use all of them. The range (electric) was a close out but had a warming drawer so I went with that which was a great deal. Between that and other rebates and discounts, we paid $3800 for all 4 KA appliances in stainless.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Well I can only truly recommend what I own.
    Like most everything I buy I research the livin hell out of it prior to buying and this is what we ended up with.

NXR NRG3001 Range all 304 stainless, flawless performance, 4-15KBTU burners, Infrared broiler, heavy cast iron grates, heavy duty stainless racks.
    paid $1799.00 shipped to the door.
    Had it for 14 months now without any problems of any kind, would buy again.

Kenmore Elite (Samsung) Counter Depth fridge, side by side, has really nice filtered water, cubed and crushed ice in the door plus a great 7" display that has a nice calendar and ability to leave messages and gives alerts.
    The fridge has a "Twin Cooling" system so veggies stay fresh longer and for a counter depth it is still decent sized at 24 cu/ft.
    Paid $1899.00 with a 30% sale from Sears.
    Got it about 13 months ago, have had zero problems with it and would buy again.

Kenmore Elite (Whirlpool) dishwasher with stainless interior, bought it about 8 years ago for $500 on sale.
    Works great, very quiet, never had a single problem in 8 years and would buy it again.

LG Microwave model LMHM2017ST with warming lamp and extenda vent. Works great, plenty of power and options. The vent works as good as any OTR microwave will ever work with 400CFM. The Warming lamp is a nice touch and keeps food hot until ready to serve.
    Paid $395.00 delivered to the door, had it for 14 months without any problems and would buy again.

Paid $4593.00 for all, happy with everything.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

We just got a new induction range, French door fridge, and dishwasher, all GE Profile. Total was about $4500 if I remember correctly, plus $100 rebate.

Love the dishwasher. It is so quiet that it's hard to hear it until it drains. The dishes come out very clean, and DH loves the sanitize option. It also has a SS interior. They have less expensive models too.

Fridge is the most recent addition. Of course right after we ordered the other stuff the fridge went! It's FD counter depth with only a water dispenser on the outside as we don't use ice much and did not want to give up the space inside. I grew to hate our side by side, but I love the new FD!

I know you want gas, but so did DH and he LOVES the induction range! All the control and responsiveness of gas without the flames, lighting burners, and potential leaks. Plus the heating is much more efficient since you only heat the pan, very little heat lost to the room.

If you know anyone that works for GE ask for an invite to the Friends and Family store. The prices are very good, and they still do rebates. Our original purchase was over black Friday weekend, and they had a buy more save more event going, plus a rebate (ours would have been $300 but had to refuse the microwave because it couldn't be installed without voiding the warranty, the cabinets were too low and even the one we already have is installed lower than officially required, our house is full of little surprises like that). Plus they sent a free shipping code with 5% off when i registered, which was on top of the others.

I can find the model numbers if you are interested. It seems like feelings on GE are often strong one way or another.

• whisperingwillow
    11 years ago

I spent 3,150. All stainless steel except for the washer and dryer.

Stove 900 (frigidaire)
    Microwave 200 (frigidaire)
    Dishwasher 650 (Bosch)
    Front loader/dryer 1400 (LG)
    Fridge 629 (frigidaire)

My husband and I have moved several times over the years and it seemed like just when we completed getting new appliances we had to move for job relocations. Ugh. It always broke my heart because buyers always want the appliances especially mine since I bought nice ones. So I learned over the years which appliances meant the most to me and I spent the extra on those. I am a weirdo and actually like doing laundry so a nice washing machine was a must for me. I also prefer a nice stove and spent more on that but a microwave isn't a big deal to me so I spent less there. We actually had a budget of around 5k but I realized that I would rather go less on the appliances and get granite counters. The fridge was a fluke purchase. One day I was bored and looking at a home improvement store by me and they had this online special for a fridge for 629. Normally a 900 fridge. Apparently the manufacturer were changing the cabinet color (from black sides to gray) so the store drastically marked the fridges down to get rid of the inventory. So we got new counters, painted the cabinets and got all brand new appliances. I researched every single appliance before buying and they each scored high in satisfaction. They are not the highest end appliances but I have been pretty happy with them so far. I haggled on every appliance except the stove. It was a brand new model out and no one would budge on the price. I always get tons of compliments on my kitchen. =)

• User
    11 years ago

"Reasonable" is such a loaded term that you are going to have to define what that means more clearly to yourself first, and to others to get any meaningful suggestions.

For a young couple starting out in their first home, 2K might be pushing it for "reasonable" for a very basic consumer grade range, OTR MW, fridge and DW. For a family of 12 living somewhere far from a grocery store who need to preserve a lot of what they grow, 15K to get that 60" range with giant pro style hood, two DWs, and two full sized refrigerators might also not quite be "reasonable".

Define for yourself what you expect from your appliances and then do some research as to what appliances meet those expectations. Then develop the budget from there.