Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Help me figure out whats wrong with my ice maker

Kristen Hallock
10 years ago

We have a Kitchen Aid side x side fridge. Its about 9 years old. The model is KSRS25ISSS.

The ice maker was working fine, then we disconnected it to move the fridge out of the kitchen while our hardwood floors were refinished. It was not hooked up for a few weeks. Then my husband hooked it up again in its new location (mud room). The problem is that the ice maker is not making ice. The water dispenser is working fine. The blue lever in side of the fridge shows that the ice maker is on. I dont think its broken, but maybe it is? But I think its something little that maybe we overlooked when reconnecting it.

Any ideas we can try?

Comments (11)

• weissman
    10 years ago

How long have you waited? It can take a day or so for a newly hooked up ice maker to restart. It's also possible that the water line to the ice maker is clogged or crimped (unlikely frozen since you just hooked it up). Are you getting any water into the ice tray? There's also some kind of solenoid that controls the water valve that could be broken.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We've waited a week now. :(

• wekick
    10 years ago

Maybe some sediment or mold is in the water line to the icemaker. Did it fill when you turned it on?

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the water dispenser works fine. So wouldnt that mean that the water is able to get to the ice maker? Maybe I need to investigate more.

• chas045
    10 years ago

You did remember to drop the Filled Lever/detector??

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Well the water dispenser works fine. So wouldnt that mean that the water is able to get to the ice maker? No, there are separate valve solenoids for water dispensing and ice maker water supply ... they'd both flow at the same time if there was only one valve.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Try unplugging and replugging in the connector for it a couple of times. Also check the end of the connector where is plugs into the ice maker.

Are there actually ice cubes in the ice maker itself, (IE, not the tray)?

If so, try removing the ice, let it refill and see if it drops the ice.

The ice maker in my Jenn-air fridge died after about 5 years.
    It uses a heater to heat the cubes slightly, just before it drops the cubes, if the heater is burned out, (mine was), it can't drop the cubes as the motor that runs the gizmo that actually removes the cubes is not strong enough to remove them unless they are "slightly softened" by that heater.

I just replaced the whole ice maker, it was about $135 on the Jenn-air website, also I did see some on Ebay for about $90, but decided best to spend the extra money to be sure I got the correct one and a good one.

Good luck with yours!

Gary

• dadoes
    10 years ago

To clarify, the heater is to loosen the cubes from adhering to the freezing mold so the arm can scoop them out into the storage bin. The arm stalls pressing against the cubes until they loosen enough to move, if they're not already loosened by the time the arm gets there.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Thanks for the "Translation", dadoes

Gary

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I looked more closely at it yesterday and there is a black rubber hose coming from the top of the freezer into the icemaker. its very short, like 1.5". Anyways, it looks like thats how the water comes into the icemaker and its clogged with ice! So we are going to defrost the freezer this weekend and once that ice melts we will try the icemaker again.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Could be the ice maker portion of the water valve assembly is seeping a little. Doesn't take much, just a drop every few seconds is enough to build up an ice blob and obstruct the line.