Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two single wall ovens instead of a double wall oven

Posted by blestmommy (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 13:36

We are building a new home and going with a double wall oven. I found an incredible clearance price on the single wall ovens that are the same brand and model as the double that I had planned on going with. Not only would this make two single ovens cheaper than the double but I love the idea of two individual sets of "knobs" and if one oven goes out I still have use of another that will work. Is there any reason that I am not aware of that would make this a bad idea, more costly or difficult? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two single wall ovens instead of a double wall oven

Two single wall ovens will take up more room than a single double oven. Also you would probably have to have independent hook-ups for each oven whether they be gas or electric. As far as long term you would likely be committed to two singles always. Would you be okay with having non-matching ovens if one died or would you replace them in the future at the same time?

I consider two singles but I was going to put them in two different locations, but space ultimately dictated a double unit.

o

We have "Often" recommended to folks here in Gardenweb to buy 2 single ovens rather than a double oven.

Single ovens have a much better reliability record than do doubles. Many times when double ovens fail, both of them are "Out of Commission" as they share main boards and some other circuits.

Those that have had porcelain problems, even if it was only in one oven, both ovens had to be replaced.

Probably most important of all, It is considerably easier to remove a single wall oven than a double.

Electrical hookup is no "biggie" just run 2 sets of wires instead of one, if it is electric, for gas, " A Tea" will do ya!

Smart very smart to think as you do!!!

Gary

o

Go for it, and while you're at it, see if you can arrange for them to be in different cabinets. They can be side by side or across the room from each other. Designwise, it just wouldn't work with the constraints of my kitchen, but that was a big want I didn't get. Having two waist level single ovens is fabulous! (I grew up with it, so know from experience.)

o

You'll pay more in electrical and in cabinetry. Tall cabinets are expensive. And a single cabinet to house two ovens will have to come from an upper end semi custom to custom line where you can specify the relocation of a cabinet floor and add a floor. You're not gonna do that in Kraftmaid without buying a bunch of parts and basically paying $$$ labor for an installer to site build the cabinet out of those parts. That takes a talented installer.

Plus, only a retry large kitchen can take the loss of 66" of counter space to be able to house them separately at waist height. Locating one under the counter negates the biggest advantage of a wall oven which is it's ergonomic advantage over a range. You might as well get a 48" range at that point.

o

Wow, thanks everyone for your input! It was so helpful. I had my order ready to go on the two ovens and apparently by the time I got in to pay for it, they were gone! UGH!!! Back to the drawing board, but now I know what I want to consider anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here