Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blestmommy

Two single wall ovens instead of a double wall oven

blestmommy
9 years ago

We are building a new home and going with a double wall oven. I found an incredible clearance price on the single wall ovens that are the same brand and model as the double that I had planned on going with. Not only would this make two single ovens cheaper than the double but I love the idea of two individual sets of "knobs" and if one oven goes out I still have use of another that will work. Is there any reason that I am not aware of that would make this a bad idea, more costly or difficult? Thanks!

Comments (22)

• dodge59
    9 years ago

We have "Often" recommended to folks here in Gardenweb to buy 2 single ovens rather than a double oven.

Single ovens have a much better reliability record than do doubles. Many times when double ovens fail, both of them are "Out of Commission" as they share main boards and some other circuits.

Those that have had porcelain problems, even if it was only in one oven, both ovens had to be replaced.

Probably most important of all, It is considerably easier to remove a single wall oven than a double.

Electrical hookup is no "biggie" just run 2 sets of wires instead of one, if it is electric, for gas, " A Tea" will do ya!

Smart very smart to think as you do!!!

Gary

• plllog
    9 years ago

Go for it, and while you're at it, see if you can arrange for them to be in different cabinets. They can be side by side or across the room from each other. Designwise, it just wouldn't work with the constraints of my kitchen, but that was a big want I didn't get. Having two waist level single ovens is fabulous! (I grew up with it, so know from experience.)

• User
    9 years ago

You'll pay more in electrical and in cabinetry. Tall cabinets are expensive. And a single cabinet to house two ovens will have to come from an upper end semi custom to custom line where you can specify the relocation of a cabinet floor and add a floor. You're not gonna do that in Kraftmaid without buying a bunch of parts and basically paying $$$ labor for an installer to site build the cabinet out of those parts. That takes a talented installer.

Plus, only a retry large kitchen can take the loss of 66" of counter space to be able to house them separately at waist height. Locating one under the counter negates the biggest advantage of a wall oven which is it's ergonomic advantage over a range. You might as well get a 48" range at that point.

• blestmommy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for your input! It was so helpful. I had my order ready to go on the two ovens and apparently by the time I got in to pay for it, they were gone! UGH!!! Back to the drawing board, but now I know what I want to consider anyway.

• stephanie Miller
    6 years ago

What did you end up doing? I am struggling with the same thing. I am building a house and want a LARGE electric oven to take up some of the space in my Large kitchen. I was thinking of placing 2 ranges side by side, but most brands did not recommend it, so I thought maybe 2 wall ovens side by side, with a large cook top above, so I am curious what you did ?

• thekiserprince
    6 years ago

I have seen design magazines with two ovens side by side and have always been impressed with the look

• sandykeller001
    6 years ago

I am doing two single ovens in my new kitchen. Here's a preliminary sketch. We will probably move the microwave and just have a countertop model instead, since the refrigerator is on the other side of the kitchen. I am doing a desk despite advice to the contrary because it's our only place on the first floor to have a place to sit down and do paperwork/bills/etc. I'm still trying to figure out the correct height for the ovens, and may even go with a swing door model. My cooktop is induction and it's on the center island.

• Avanti Kunamneni
    6 years ago

I did it and had one oven die. It was no longer being made in that style so I had to choose between replacing both or having non matching things next to each. For all intents and purposes it might as well have been a double oven when it broke. Loved them both being eye level. It was easy to keep an eye on things!

• paddykk
    5 years ago

I'm in the market for two ovens for a second home we are building. In the current house we have a GE Monogram and a GE Advantium on top of each other - but I'm going to go for two single wall ovens which are the standard size not smaller like the speedovens/advatium type ovens. I was going to install them one on top of the other but I like the side by side functionality and ease of use - so will try to design that.

So which 30" single ovens are people going for these days?

• tidyyankee2
    3 years ago

My kitchen has 60 year old Thermador side by side double ovens installed in a brick-faced wall. They still work, but not perfectly any more. I am currently trying to get two new ovens installed in their place. The Thermador appears to be one unit. I would need to have someone install two individual ovens side by side to replace them, and apprently where I live few if any installers have done those.

• HU-875715966
    3 years ago

I‘m looking at my options of wall ovens. I currently have a 24” single oven sitting in a brick wall that is 30” wide. My oven is from 1964 and does not cook evenly. My kitchen is set up oddly with space and I do not want to lose the brick wall. I’m considering buying two single wall ovens to install one over the other if I can figure out a way to support the weight of the top one. I have found that it is cheaper to buy two single ones rather than a double. I’d really like to have two ovens as it will provide lots more room with it only being 24” to start. Any suggestions on how to support the Upper oven?

• tidyyankee2
    3 years ago

HU, I don’t know if what I have to say will help. I discovered that oven makers are making 24” ovens in Stainless Steel. I have ordered two 24” Frigidaire ovens that are nearly the same size as the old Thermador. The appliance dealer’s installer came and said he would figure out how to make a divider, and a mason contractor I had for another job said he could resize the brick wall, but I guess it’s up to the appliance installer to put in the divider board. So check with your appliance dealer to see if his installer can figure out how to support the upper oven.

• paddykk
    3 years ago

Wow! Stainless steel would eliminate all the chipping issues people are having with the standard 30” enamel interiors!

• Kate
    3 years ago

Not sure why anyone would choose a countertop microwave rather than a built in when designing a new kitchen? Unless you are keeping it in a pantry.

• Sandy K
    3 years ago

My husband hates our drawer microwave because it opens and closes slowly, and because he has to stoop down to see the controls. He’s too impatient.

• dadcarter
    2 years ago

Can I stack two gas 24 inch ovens to replace a double? Nobody makes a double 24 inch gas anymore. I have a 47 inch opening.

• yogiboo
    2 years ago

Following. I have the same issue in my kitchen. What are the options?

• tidyyankee2
    2 years ago

Installing two separate ovens side by side in my 60 year old home was done successfully. I’ll point out that your installer has to figure out how to measure the ovens to fit because those ovens are not made to go side by side.

• jml7of9
    last year

One of the two ovens in our double oven failed when a heating element popped in the one we use most often. No immediate problem, just use the 2nd oven. .... which popped about one month later. I'm now very hesitant while looking for a replacement, and am thinking of going with two, independent singles.

• Allyson Chen
    last year

I'm planning to do 2 single. I'm not bending to use that second one for a double. so I'm doing side by side. I plan to build my house so I can have it the way I want. The lower level can just have a single oven. Not a lot of cooking will be going on down their anyway unless needed

• tidyyankee2
    last year

If you are building a new home, and planning the space for two separate ovens side by side, your contractor will need to know which brand you will be wanting installed so the wall and the opening can be measured correctly. My original Thermador side by sides were made as one unit and placed into a wall with a brick front. Both depth and width of that wall space limited my choice of replacement to two brands. Depth of space is just as important as width.