Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gpwuster

Thermador Masterpiece Cooktop Burned-HELP

gpwuster
14 years ago

I posted this in the kitchen forum then realized maybe I should have post it here.

Friend of mine has a month old Thermador Masterpiece cooktop, and she had only used less than 10 times. As you can see from the pictures, does anyone has the same problem? Thermador technical services manager "thinks" this appears to be a user error.. he thinks she uses over sized pots & pans and with high flame. Suggested she reviews "use&care" manual. The fact was she didn't use any oversize pots/pans and no hight flame. But why should that matter? Stainless shouldn't burn like that, right?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• amcook
    14 years ago

I'm sorry but... what? You can't use high flame with a large pot or pan? What good is a cooking surface if you can't use high flame with a large pan? That's completely nonsense in my opinion.

Why is it not on all sides if it is due to "oversized" pans? The localized nature of the burn mark indicates something specifically wrong at that point of the burner. Was the burner cap completely seated? If so, does the burner cap fit well? Does she see anything unusual with the flame such as uneven in one area or the flame is misdirected? Sometimes, an obstruction in the burner can cause the flame to be directed slightly downward in one spot. Sometimes there will be a burr or small protrusion in one of the nozzles which can do this. That would be a manufacturing issue. If the burner cap was not seated completely, then it's user error. There's also a possibility that the air/fuel mixture is too rich (too much fuel). Is the flame blue with a very slight orange tip? If it's too orange, that indicates a high amount of unburned carbon which can cause scorch marks. Usually this will be black and should be evenly distributed around the burner and especially on the bottom of the pots and pans.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

This link below doesn't have the scorch problem mentioned yet but lots of other stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: More unhappy owners

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

very interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: very

• jakkom
    14 years ago

That burner is very close to the SS backsplash. Not dangerous from a fire hazard standpoint, but yes, close enough to scorch. Last year one person with a Bluestar that had an 18K power burner in the rear (they now come standard in front unless you request otherwise) posted photos of his 21" SS backsplash - big scorch marks, which like your friend found, are difficult to clean off.

If you don't want scorch marks, you need at least 6" of clearance. It's a shame the mfgs don't tell you that, but unfortunately, I fear that's the reality.

Even at medium, a lot of heat on a gas range goes out to the side. If it's too hot to hold your hand there, then it's hot enough to make scorch marks.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

Forget the scorch on the backsplash (that happened with my DCS as well)....what about the one on the cooktop???!!!! That just shouldn't happen. And where were all these links when I was designing my kitchen around the Thermador Freedom towers???? I had no idea they were such an unreliable company with customer service that rivals Viking.

• antss
    14 years ago

cheri - it's not quite that bad

• gpwuster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jkom51,
    The stove 2 pic is the right side of the burner. So no backsplash, it's part of cooktop. My friend wants a full refund but Thermador wanted to send out the repairman first. Not sure how they are going to "repair" or "replace" the partial cooktop. Hopefully the repair guy will say it's not fixable so she can get her money back. Or this will be a long painfull process try to "fight" with Thermador.

I have a Thermador single oven, after reading the links from laat2, I have my fingers cross...

• cheri127
    14 years ago

Thanks, Antss. You know more than I do about these things...would you recommend the extended warranty for the fridge and freezer?

gpwuster, the Lacanche range has the same sort of cooktop. Maybe you can ask Lacanche owners if they have scorching like this. If not, it may give your friend more of a leg to stand on with Thermador.