Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sniff_gw

30' Gas Cooktop - ? Dacor?

sniff
11 years ago

I've been shopping on line for a 30" gas cooktop that does not have the knobs off to one side. Any opinions would be appreciated. I like the layout and specs of the Dacor Distinctive but found no real reviews. Saw a couple of general Dacor comments, none too recent, about igniter problems. Seems every manufacturer has pros and cons. I would prefer to spend $1000 or less. Don't want anything that scratches easily (Several KA comments had that problem). I'll be using liquid propane and wasn't happy to see Bosch charges an extra $100 for four little adapter pieces. Doesn't have to have five burners, just good spacing for larger pans. Here's a link to Dacor for the Disctinctive model (about $1100 everywhere). Thanks for any help or opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dacor Distinctive

Comments (3)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

We've successfully and without any problems cooked on our 36" four burner Dacor cooktop for ten years. No problems during this time. The sliding grates are very helpful and clean up nice with plain soap and water. The stainless finish has been upgraded I see, but still ours looks good as we've kept it clean. The BTU's are not nearly what they are now but we've never minded and we cook a wide variety of food types requiring different heat. The simmer capability has been fine on soups, stews, hams; of course you need a disperser or double boiler for cream sauces and chocolate, or just a small copper saucepan held off the full flame and a whisk.

Regarding the ignitors, I make sure not to get water or other on them when cleaning. They rest below the grates so you couldn't bump them with normal cooktop use. You do need to ensure the porcelain burner tops fit right on their groves to avoid. Otherwise when you turn on the burner you will hear clicking as ignitor attempts to ignite. It's just a quick turn with your wrist until you feel them go into their proper resting point. Our gas pipe feed is a half inch diameter.

I'd definitely buy a Dacor cooktop again. It's paid us back in spades with good looks, minimal maintenance and no service calls. Good luck and happy cooking.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

We've had a Dacor Epicure rangetop for 6 years. One of the original igniters did click occasionally and when I called Dacor they sent 6 new ones and had a local authorized tech install them. Ours isn't stainless though so I can't comment on that.

• sniff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping to see the Distinctive model and called a local dealer. Not on display. He said 'Dacor used to be good, but no longer'. Concerned, I started googling and did find complaints - mostly with electronics in ovens, and bad dishwashers. It's alarming that the brand is really not carried in many places. I worry about service, should I need it. A few customer service references were pretty bad, too.

I don't know what the heck to do. I certainly like the layout of this Dacor Distinctive. The nobs are way out of the way and look to be angled down. The nobs in the way are an issue for many 30" when they're not off to the side.

I see someone else asked about gas cooktops, so maybe I'll continue my discussion there.

Thanks again.