Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dcs versus ge cafe

Posted by RickGresham (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 13:23

We're in the midst of deciding between DCS and GE Cafe range, refer, DW and microwave. We read lots of problems with igniters and thermostats on older DCS, fewer posting on new DCS. GE reviews seem to run about 50/50 for and against. Looking for comments on recent purchases, recommendations on extended warranties. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dcs versus ge cafe

I selected the DCS all gas 4 years ago because at that time it has the least negative comments or problems. I've had none. I love the dual stacked burners because the simmer is fantastic & the infrared broiler. No electronics to go bad on the range. The convection fan is extremely quiet.

o
RE: oops

I should have mentioned I bought before Fisher & Paykel bought DCS I have needed no service so I can't comment on that.

o

I recently (1 month ago) purchased a new model DCS all gas and love it. The simmer and infrared burners are excellent. I find I use the 5th burner a lot. Also, I love the halo lights on the burners and the easy glide racks. We were deciding between the DCS and Wolf all gas, and our appliance dealer felt the DCS was a better value and the Wolf AG did not have the last two features. I also think the DCS is a different class range than the GE Cafe. Good Luck!

o

We're now trying to decide between the all gas DCS and all gas Cafe. The Cafe is less expensive by about $1K and has some obvious conveniences (electronic control of oven) that the DCS doesn't, although the electronics can fail, while the DCS really doesn't have any. Our only remaining thought is about warranty and how readily parts would be avail if needed. It seems the GE would be more readily serviceable and since we live in a a fairly rural southern maine community, not sure if the DCS could be quickly/easily repaired. I guess other then cost, this somewhat comes down to a reliability question. We really like the DCS and the oven racks are super smooth, but the Cafe will more than handle our needs and we could put the extra money elsewhere. My problem is I (not my wife) usually tend to spend more then we really need to either because there is a perceived added benefit to paying more for a product or because we like to have nice looking things. Sounds a little shallow, but I think most know what I mean. Anyways, looking for more feedback on either choice.

o

anyone?

o

Why don't you call the DCS 800 number and ask them about parts and servicers in your area. DCS is now owned by F&P in New Zealand but I believe they still maintain a parts inventory in California.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here