Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchenaid Fridge making ominous noises

Posted by Karen2467 (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 13:10

KFCS22EVMS2 model
We have a 6 year old side-by-side KA refrigerator that is making a never-before-heard noise (never a good sign . . .). I would describe it as the sound you make when you blow air out of your closed lips, somewhat of an ak-ak sound, that goes for varying lengths, up to maybe 30 seconds. It happens seemingly randomly, and the length it lasts is random.
The ice maker and water dispenser and temperature levels all seem to be fine. ALL seems to be fine, except for that noise that seems to forbode something bad coming.

Anyone got an idea what this could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchenaid Fridge making ominous noises

More than likely it is a fan, (dry bearings).

You can see a diagram of your fridge by clicking the "helpful link" after my post.

The guys on this web-site are a Tremendous Help, and if you call them or email them, they will help you diagnose the problem and order the correct part to fix it.

I bought a service manual for my JA Fridge, (on-line), paid $16 for it. This company sent me a free one, (as they did not know, at the time, that I had the service manual.

I don't know if your KA has the built in disgnostics like my JA does, it actually has a fan speed check for every fan in the fridge, so it would be easy to pinpoint which fan, If yours has the same diagnostics.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: KA Fridge parts

o

Thank you! We will look into this and see what we can figure out. This afternoon we have had no noise episodes, so fingers crossed; but I suspect it didn't just fix itself.

o

We narrowed the noise down to the back top inside of the fridge, the white box that is the damper--that's where the vibrations were the strongest. We removed the vent cover, and can see that t he noise occurs when the flap opens.

Is this just a plug-in, easily removed and replaced? It seems to be more quietly working, not hanging up as much as it was. Is it something likely to correct itself if we leave the cover off for awhile? Is it just a noise problem, i.e., it will work, but just make noise?

I wonder if it is covered under the 2 thru 5 year portion of the factory warranty?

Thank you for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here