Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musky_hunter

Electrolux or another range? OTR micro required.

musky-hunter
11 years ago

We thought we wanted a electric Electrolux slide in range until we found too many negative reviews confirming my angst about an electronic panel right above the door opening = board failures.

We are about to install new granite tops and wanted the clean look of a slide in. We are not going to redo our custom cabinets that are configured for an OTR microwave and there is no option to vent the micro hood outside because this is an interior wall. That was the reason for electric.

After reading reviews on other brands like kitchen aid and Bosch who also appear riddled with problems we are totally frustrated and our project is on hold until we select appliances.

We have 32" between the range top and the bottom of the upper cabinet. That leaves only 15-17" clearance between the range and a OTR microwave. Could we go with a gas range at that clearance? Would you knowing we don't have the option of an exterior vent? Are there any reliable good looking slide in electric ranges?

Comments (5)

• fauguy
    11 years ago

There's been good responce with the GE Profile Induction slide in, PHS925STSS, see link below.
    That is the one I want to get by next summer. It would match any GE Profile over-the-range microwaves. The one I have is the GE Profile convection microwave that has a 1500W heating element with fan, but there is also the GE Advantium.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0915421110796.html

• elyash
    11 years ago

I just tried the electrolux induction range at Barry's appliance store in Bridgewater, NJ last night. The induction burners were terrific. But best of all, the oven cooked evenly. I baked chocolate chip cookies and they were browned nicely on convection bake in just under 8 minutes. It has two ovens, so I only tried the main one. Others have posted about the lower oven and recommended it mostly for casseroles. By the way, if you live in the tri-state area I would recommend Barry's as they are a family owned store and service their own appliances. Before yesterday I had never heard of the store, but having gone there I was impressed.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Just wondering, did they also have the GE slide-in induction? No stores in my area have it on display yet and list it as a special order.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I got a slide in Jenn Air with downdraft about a month ago and I love it. I was thinking I wanted the GE Profile double oven but when I went to look at it I realized how easy it would be to burn myself on the very small oven. I would think you would have to be very, very careful getting the food out.

• elyash
    11 years ago

Fauguy, They did not have the GE range on the floor. However, there were pictures posted on this forum of the GE range, so I feel like I've seen it.
    However, I really want to bake in the GE to help me decide between the two.
    Pros for the GE range include 1) 11 inch hob 2)larger oven 3)ability to purchase racks which can be kept during self-cleaning 4)burners work in Sabbath mode 5)top rated in consumer reports 6)between $800-$1,000 less than electrolux Cons: Oven is unknown quantity to me. As I own a GE gas profile oven and am very unhappy with the baking and temperature fluctuation, I am leary of purchasing the induction without trying it. On GE's own website, the induction range oven had a negative review.

Pros for the Electrolux: 1) 2 ovens 2)roller racks & rack "handles" 3)nice interior oven lights 4)two timers 5)confirmed that larger oven bakes well. Cons for the Electrolux: 1)Larger oven is very small 2)burners don't work in Sabbath mode3)poorly rated in consumer reports compared to GE

Fauguy, what factors are you using to evaluate the two ranges? Have I missed anything in your opinion?