Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaansu

how to dispose of refrigerator and freon????

jaansu
15 years ago

My old refrigerator just died and I see my trash hauler charges $90 to take it away but only if I have the freon removed first. First, is it possible that the freon removal can be a DIY job (I kind of doubt it)? Where do I find freon removal services that would do this in my house? And are there any other options for getting rid of a refrig than paying the $90 to BFI? Break it up and put it in the trash piecemeal? Just wondering if there are any other cheapos out there that saved some cash. Note, I don't want to add to the global warming - I do want the freon disposed of. Or is it likely that since my refrig utterly stopped cooling suggest that the freon all leaked out already, in which case why get the service?

Comments (9)

• oskiebabu
    15 years ago

Probably from numerous HVAC companies, particularly if it is a FREON that isn't used anymore, but was used in old AC units. They charge a premium for that FREON, as you can't legally buy it anywhere.

Greg

• llaatt22
    15 years ago

Check with the folks where you are getting your new fridge or where you bought your old one. They should be able to advise you who to contact. Also under appliance service section in your phone book.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought a used refrig to replace the existing one so I need an independent organization to take it. A local offerred to take it if I could haul it to him. Why? Does he recover the old freon and sell it?

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

My local electric co. (in CA) has been offering $50 for them to take the old inefficient fridge & recycle it correctly.

• engineer54
    13 years ago

Cooling loops in home refrigerators and freezers are hermetically sealed, i.e., welded shut, at the factory. Unless the systems has been pierced by accident, it is extremely unlikely that the refrigerant has leaked out, even after 25-30 years. If your unit isn't cooling properly anymore, but the compressor still runs, it's more likely that it is worn out -- one of the valves has gotten stuck or the pistons are simply leaking, not compressing the gas enough to work efficiently.

A local recycler in my area accepts refrigerators and freezers if you can haul them in yourself, and charges a $10 refrigerant removal fee. He doesn't do the removal, but just passes the cost on from the service that actually does the work. I'd expect it to cost a bit more for a house call.

Considering that my old 1986 Ford Ranger pickup leaked 1 lb. of R-12 refrigerant per year from the day I bought it, presumably from the compressor shaft seal, whether I used the air conditioning or not, and that millions of cars have similar leakage problems that are simply taken for granted by the manufacturers, I wouldn't feel too bad if one of the refrigerant lines in someone's old refrigerator should somehow spring a leak (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Think about it -- millions of pounds of R-12 and R-134a refrigerant leaking into the atmosphere every year from automobiles; no one cares, the Earth's ozone layer is still here, and global warming is now a proven hoax.

• Ben Lee
    3 years ago

Just because your truck leaks, does not make it okay to dump freon into the atmosphere. I don't think I have ever talked to any scientist who has not been very concerned about our atmosphere and the ways we mistreat it. Just because you have never seen it, does not mean it is not real. I would recommend you do your research, and would appreciate if you could help the rest of us who care about what the earth will look like for our kids. Spills happen, yeah, but please be responsible with your refrigerants.

• b_electric
    3 years ago

Not much of an engineer, are ya 54...

Can't even fix an '86 Ford Ranger...

you wear the fact that you knowingly and deliberately leaked your chems all around your town for lord only knows how long (cuz you won't say how long it was now that you realize you're a moron and would feel even more stupid actually stating it, because you're stupid) on your wife-beater like a badge of honor, proving your high level of moronity. I don't even know if that's a word, if not, I'll have Webster add it with your comment as the example give.

📢🚨📢🚨📢🚨📢🚨📢

MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE.

📢

WE ARE GATHERED HERE TODAY TO HONOR THE ONE AND ONLY VALUE-ENGINEERED54 FOR HIS GROUNDBREAKING RESEARCH AND VALUED INGENUITY IN PROVING THE HOAX BEHIND GLOBAL WARMING.

📢

WITHOUT THE DECADES OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH THAT WAS SUCH AN ENORMOUS WAIST OF TIME FOR JUST ABOUT EVERY SINGLE SCIENTIST WHO EVER STUDIED THE HOAX, VALUE-ENGINEERED54, THROUGH HIS PAINSTAKING EFFORTS IN MONITORING HIS LEAKY SHAFT, CAN NOW PROVE THAT HIS LEAKY SHAFT DID NOT CAUSE ANY HARM WHATSOEVER TO OUR ECOSYSTEM...

📢

AND THEREFOR, BECAUSE OF HIS VAST DISCOVERIES IN MONITORING HIS LEAKY SHAFT OVER THE DECADES, CAN NOW PROVE BEYOND ANY REASONABLE DOUBT THAT GLOBAL WARMING HAS BEEN A HOAX FROM THE BEGINNING.

📢

WE APPLAUD YOU, SIR.👏👏👏

• PRO
    Oleksandr
    3 years ago

This is how I drain freon from the fridge

1. The refrigerator is disconnected from the power supply, completely freed from food, grates, boxes.

2. The compressor is lifted, the tubes are bent, and the device is extended by 5–7 cm.

3. The filling pipe breaks and the refrigerant is released from the unit: the capillary expander is pinched and the device is turned on for 3 minutes - during this period the refrigerant will collect in the condenser.

4. A piercing valve is attached to the drying filter, a hose from the cylinder is attached to it, and also pierced. The bleed valve opens for 30 seconds - this is enough to collect the gas in the cylinder. The valve closes. (It is also possible not to collect the freon itself in a cylinder, but simply to release it into the air, but in this case, it must be done in a well-ventilated room and not stand nearby) It is also writtenhere a little more about this.