Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OTR Microwave & Gas Stoves

Posted by Grizzfan (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 12:35

We installed a Frigidaire Gallery Gas Range under an existing GE Microwave. There is about 18" separation. The gas range is great. However the heat from the range causes the "thermocouple" in the MW to die and there is no reset. It has to be replaced. That has happened 3 times now. Running the MW fan is very noisey and we naturally avoid it. The MW fan vents into the room.

Does anybody have a solution? Is there a MW brand that has a resetable "thermocouple"? Or is there a MW brand that doesn't have this problem? It is somewhat impractical for us to move the MW higher as it would take out a small cabinet over the MW and my wife is only about 5'4".

Thanks and please talk brands!

tpr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OTR Microwave & Gas Stoves

The best thing to do is to replace the OTR with a real vented hood. A recirculating hood is better than nothing but a recirculating OTR is even worse You're likely to have problems with any OTR mounted that low. Better to get a countertop MW.

o

I would be very surprised if 18" is sufficient clearance between a gas range and MW to meet any installation spec or local code. This is not a brand issue, rather an installation one. Since your wife cannot reach higher, you would be much better off to put the MW somewhere else, and install a vented hood as weissman suggests.

o

Can you steer me to a 'vented hood' photo?

o

5 seconds in google search:

Here is a link that might be useful: range hoods

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here