Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
to all liebherr refrigerator owners

Posted by tobokat (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 07 at 12:34

Do you really love your fridge/freezer? I am constantly being drawn back to the 30" model. When I am in the store, I comment on the height and limited food/freezer storage space. When I leave the store, I keep saying how much I love the looks and full shelves. Short of going insane and growing a couple of extra inches to comfortably reach the butter dish, I would love to hear your true complaints/compliments about this appliance. Thanks in advance for saving me a trip to the shrink or divorce court.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: to all liebherr refrigerator owners

tobokat, I currently have a horrible side by side that I feel is a total waste of space--can't fit anything too wide in it and things constantly get lost in the back. I took one look at the Liebherr and was sold so we are getting the 30" for our kitchen remodel which begins soon. I love how simplistic the interior is without all the bulky plastic you find nowadays, I love how much easier it is to open than the subzeros. I love that it is a duel compressor unit without the price of the subzero's. Another bonus is its energy efficiency. The only little doubt I had was the size of the freezer but I tend to totally forget about the things I put in the freezer and end up throwing things out 2 years later--I think having a small space will actually save me money! Sorry I can't help you with actual experience but I have done my research and have not found one person who had anything negative to say. HTH

o

Don't have a Liebherr yet. My Mom has one though and has had it for around 12 or 13 years. She and I are both short (5'2")and have no issues. She definitely has no issues with the space/organization in hers, but it is an older model and I'm not sure that would be a valid comparison. I am getting the 30" built in in my remodel that is underway. I am looking forward to never having to rummage through my SZ freezer again. I also like the organization of the fridge better.

o

I have the Liebherr 30 inch built in. No horror stories to tell yet.

The freezer is about the same size as my older frig. I think it is about the same size as the smallest sub zero 650(?). It might be 1/2 cu ft larger or smaller. The freezer holds a lot plus if you need to you can pile more stuff up by removing the drawers and just using the glass shelves located between each drawer. I don't like ice makers so I have one without still no problems.

It is very easy to clean inside. No more reserving hours to clean out the thing. I just stand there take a cloth wipe the shelves. I sometimes do it as part of cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. There are no plastic container thingies to mess with, unhook,rehook then break off. One of the glass shelves can be folded under itself giving more height to the shelf below.

It is dual compressor with separate air flow systems and it uses convection coil cooling so there is no sucking in of air and blowing hot air back into the room. Yes no dust stuck to the intake and output vents. If you reach up to the top you will feel only warm air gently rising up.

I didn't think I would use the wine rack because I no longer drink but I have found that it will hold cans very well so I have it stocked with gingerale and other canned stuff.

The supercool and superfrost work well. I can't comment on how long it runs because you can hardly hear it so I don't notice it when I walk into the kitchen. It is just sitting there - open the door and it is cold inside close the door and for the most part it is silent.
No problems yet.

o

I have a 30" built in and I love it. I have had it for one year. It is really quiet and stores a ton of food. I used it during Thanksgiving and Christmas and the freezer and fridge handled greatly. Go for it if it will work for your. One of my main issues is that I wanted to fit a jelly roll pan in the fridge and freezer and the Liebherr 30" did this better than the SZ.

Good luck!

o

WOW!!! Can it be true? There are no major complaints about this appliance!!! I still can't believe it. The Liebherr just soared to the #1 spot on the refrigerator list. Thanks for the helpful input.

o

just saw this yesterday. had no intention fo spending this much on a fridge, but it really caught my attention, too, tobokat! does anyone know if it can fit into a 30"w cabinet space or if 33" is required (with ventilation needs)?

o

Glad - The built-in 30" Liebherr needs a 29 1/2" cabinet opening according to the pdf brochure on the Liebherr site (top left). I know it fits in the same space as a 30" Subzero since someone here has replaced one with a Liebherr.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liebher 30

o

I also fell in love with the Liebherr. Right now I have one in my apartment waiting to be installed. It's a lot more money than I expected to spend, but I didn't realize that there are virtually no other 30" counter depth refrigerator out there. Yes, Fisher Paykel has one that's an inch or two more, but I fell for the Liebherr.

o

thx for the link, madcow. i went to expo after i posted and entertained the salesmen with my endless measuring of the liebherr,fisher paykel and kitchenaid. :) One salesman told me a 30" cabinet would work and another told me it wouldn't :shrug:. the fisher and paykel(which does need the 33" cab.) is not much deeper than the leibherr, but does need a bit more clearance in the back. so i figure it nets out at about 1.5" deeper.
a couple of times when i shut the liebherr, the door didn't catch -- it was like it needed a little more force than i was using.

it really is a beautiful appliance!

o

I love my Liebherr. And, as the other poster have mentioned, it is a beautiful appliance. A welcome change from the omnipresent faux-restaurant style.

o

We've had our 30" stainless Liebherr since 2003 and still love it. The exterior is beautiful, and the interior is perfect. No blobby plastic to waste any space. Two of our freezer drawers are always quite full, but we use the bottom drawer for bagged ice and ice cream. No problems whatsoever in four years.

Tina

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Side view from hall:

o

HI. Do you find it offers more usuable space than actually stated? Some F&P owners find their 17cu ft refrigerator offers as much storage as a 20 cu ft model. What about the Liebherr?
tinasoldhouse--beautiful kitchen. Thanks for the pics!

o

I can only compare the storage to the 30" traditional fridge we had before renovating. We can fit as much food in the Liebherr as the old one. We cook several times a week and keep a lot of condiments and spices in the fridge door. This excellent configuration of the door allows plenty of room on the shelves and drawers for groceries and leftovers. A benefit of the shallow depth is there are less "mystery" foods hanging around. Everything is visible and easy to reach.

Tina

o

Could someone post a picture of the inside of the Liebherr? I don't know what it looks like, and my expo is :45 away (and I'm not positive they'd have it once I got there!).

o

Beautiful kitchen! I have pics of the inside of mine but cannot post them. Also if you get the built in remember that you probably won't see the sides or space at the top.

Mine is kind of sealed so you just see the door handels the stainless steel trim that is used to outline the entire unit and the SS grill at the top.

Also the built in has no curve to the door which I think the free standing might. It is just flat straight across from one side of the SS trim to the other.

I hope that made sense.

o

fausonk - expo is where i saw it. here is a picture from the site. you can't see the doors well, but the door shelves use lovely metal, not plastic, in them. also, the plastic freezer drawers seem a bit strudier to me than the f&p one, though the f&p layout seemed a little easier to access stuff in those drawers -- not sure, though,m since i only viewed them empty in showroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liebherr 1650/1601

o

Can the Liebherr built in take custom panels? Tight floor plan and right now looking at the subzero 27inch built in, but would love to have other options.

o

Yes it does take custom panels. the website has a photo of one with custom panels. I am getting the 30" and it will have custom panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: 30

o

Okay, please ignore my messy fridge, but I took some interior shots. First, I'd like to mention that we got our Liebherr in 2003, back when folks in the U.S. had to order them through the Canadian distributor Euroline. I don't know if the door configuration is slightly different for the U.S. model. I think I heard something about a gallon-size container fitting on the door. Can someone verify this? Believe it or not, our door has much less stuff on it than usual because we lost power during a storm not long ago and had to pitch some items.

We didn't need to use one of the interior glass shelves supplied. Also, an ice maker was not available, so we use the bottom drawer for bagged ice.

When I look sideways at the door, I have to admit there is a very slight curve to it, but in general I don't think of it as having any curve at all. The fridge arrived with the hinges on the right side, and my husband and I changed them to the left.

Hope this helps. I haven't seen the new U.S. model, so please feel free to point out any differences from what you see on mine.

Tina

o

HI

I bought the 30 inch built in last year. Got it in the U.S.A. There is gallon storage in the door. Also yours has the metal shelving in the bottom, but mine has the glass and SS trim shelves and then a large full lenght slide out compartmented bin at the very bottom of the refrigerator. Other than that very similar. I don't know what they look like this year!

o

jerrod6 - that's what the one looks like that i saw on saturday; you can see that layout in the link i posted bove.

o

The link below shows the refrigerator layout a bit better

Here is a link that might be useful: LH Interior

o

Yes, the inside of my new Liebherr CS1650 looks exactly as madcow posted above, only mine is the freestanding model and not the built-in model as shown. I do have it in the same space as my former 30" built-in SubZero. I love my new Liebherr--it's the best fridge I've ever owned. Love the dual compressors, the wine rack, the easy-open handle, and the quietness. To tinasoldhouse--I absolutely LOVE your installation. Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos.

o

Madcow
Yes that's what mine looks like but in SS. I have my door opening on the opposite side from the pix.

o

I like the new door and interior set up. Glad to see they didn't change it too much for the American market.

Tina

o

Just realized I broke the links to the interior shots of my Liebherr when I "cleaned up" my Photobucket account this afternoon. If anyone wants to see them, they are located in my Liebherr sub-album. You can reach my account through My Page.

Tina

o

Tina, you are very kind and brave to show us the inside of your fridge! It looks great in your kitchen (and it's tidy on the inside, too!).

o

About 3 months ago I installed a 24" wide Liebherr BFI-1051, with Biofresh and icemaker. I paid about $3400 at Cocoplum in Keene, NH. It's not cheap, but it's virtually silent, energy efficient, and a pleasure to use. The Biofresh system seems to work well. I find the size adequate, but this model is probably too small for more than 1 or 2 people. I think the Liebherr is first-rate and easily better than the Sub-Zero I have in a second home.

But... installation instructions are not particularly clear; anyone not comfortable installing appliances should probably have their fridge professionally installed. The biggest design flaw is the rollers; castors which allowed the fridge to move sideways as well as back and forth would be much better. Aligning the fridge flush with my existing cabinets took a lot of fussing. Also, it's quite easy to scrape the floor moving the fridge in and out.

By the way, the dealer recommended not using a saddle attachment to connect ice maker tubing to a water line, saying it tends to leak. But it works OK for me. Be sure to open the valve on the saddle attachment all the way or the ice maker may have problems because of insufficient flow. Also, I used a braided Home Depot ice maker hose, which was easier to run than copper tubing.

o

What do you use to clean the (exterior) fridge? I can't seem to find anything that doesn't leave streaks on the stainless steel. Please help.

o

My Liebherr came with a tiny bottle of stainless steel cleaner. It seems to work just fine.

You may also want to search this forum or the Kitchen form on stainless steel cleaners. There was a thread on the topic.

o

I used a small amt of the oil that came with my Liebherr and it left a streaky, smudgy look, that for the life of me, I cannot erase. I have since tried all of the usuals, Stainless Steel Magic, Pledge wipes for stainless steel, more oil, more buffing, to no avail. I have 2-24" units, and I did not use the oil on the second and just used the Stainless Steel Magic and no problems. I feel your pain, but have no answers.

o

I could not use the cleaner that came with the refrigerator either. Instead I continue to use what I have been using for a few years which is actually two brands.

One is Weiman SS cleaner, and the other is named Zep.
Weiman is creamy, Zep is oily, both are sprays and you must be careful with Zep. I use two cloths to get this done. One to distribute the product and the other to buff.

I dont use both products at the same time. I alternate. When I don't feel like Zep I use Weiman. I think Zep is better if you need to remove stuck on or stuborn soil, but if you use too much it leaves a film. I would read the labels of both of these products.

Also some have had success with Micro fiber cloths. I use a soapy sponge to clean my SS range, follow with a clean rinse sponge, then end/dry with a Micro fiber cloth. Works well.

o

I used 409 and buffed with a paper towel to clean my SS countertops, but my SS fridge (NOT a Liebherr) would streak with that treatment, probably because it was so rarely cleaned it was very grimy. Best thing for that fridge was regular old scouring powder like Ajax or Comet applied with the grain, of course, and wiped with clean water. A hassle, but as mentioned before, it was rarely cleaned. :)

o

add me to list of very happy Liebherr owners. We have the built-in 30" with custom panels. its perfect for a small NYC apartment because the extra height is just enough to allow us to pack in some extra food and then the leftovers for when we have guests over. at other times there is almost too much room - a problem i've definitely never encountered before.

o

would love to hear any additional comments from any recent installers. Also, any idea of price on the 30" freestanding? Thanks

o

"I could not use the cleaner that came with the refrigerator either."

I have to revise my above comment. When I first used the cleaner it was thick. Over time it has thinned and I tried it the other day. This stuff is great and I am using it on all of my SS appliances.

The name of the cleaner is Neoblank.

I still like my Liebherr - constant temp, very quiet, dual compressor, no problems.

o

What can I expect to pay for the 30"?

Cheers
DD

o

Expo has it (California) for about $3600. Revised estimates for arrival of new 36" model is May '08.

o

Have been lurking obsessively in prep for kitchen redo this summer. Plans specify 48" built in fridge/freezer. Like everyone had thought about SubZero, likely the 632. Am always interested in alternatives and was looking at Liebherr. However, I can't figure something out--I suspect it's obvious so excuse my ignorance. How can the SZ632 be rated at almost 29 cubic feet capacity, while the seemingly equivalent LH SBS 2410 is listed at a total of 22.2 cf? That seems like a huge difference. And...since there are obviously a lot of LH fans out there, what makes up for the loss in capacity for you all?

o

I'm interested in the 24" fully integrated but never hear anything about how the slide system for the cabinet door works. Anyone have one or know anyone that has one? It is perfect for me in my prep zone. Gives me a small frig/freezer for much less money than frig/freezer drawers and I can make it look like a cabinet. Thanks!!

o

I'm intending to buy the 30". Talking to a guy at the appliance store, I was interested that they had done a calculation that, although the Leibherr appears to be smaller, they found it had more useable space than a full-size 36" GE side-by-side. I think this was based on the greater height, but primarily the better arrangement and materials of the shelves and drawers.
He also said Leibherr has a less than 1% quality issue, and he recommended it hugely over the 30" SubZero, which he said was a quality nightmare and way more expensive.

He also said the few quality issues there were, had been two years ago with the ice makers, because they were added in for the North American market, and was new technology for the company (We don't use ice much in Europe) but that they'd got all the kinks sorted out now.

o

My only concern re: the 30" model is the amount of freeazer space. I chose to buy 2-24" and putting them together, and while the refrigerators do get a bit sparse inside at times, my freezers are always nearly full. Something to consider, if you use your freezer often. Just 2 people in our household, although we do cook 5-6 nights a week. As far as quality, the 24" seems "meatier" inside. Drawers are stronger. 24" made in Liebherr's hometown in Germany, the 30" in Austria. It sure would be nice to have a separate meat drawer, or at least a divider for fruits and veggies. Temp control on 24" seems to vary alot, with the defrosting cycle. About a 10-12 degree difference. I, apparently am the only one to notice this. Having said that, food seems to last - although I do have some food smell issues. The 30" has the dual compressor, the 24" just dual evaporators. I've been told by Liebherr this will not change temp reliability, so I don't know. The stainless Liebherr uses is quite thin, difficult to keep clean and is magnetic. Also, don't know if they fixed this yet, but on the freestanding models, there is no doorstop. I have a nice dent in my freezer door from the door hitting a knot in a log which is next to freezer. (I live in a log home) The door opens more than 180 degrees. The rep's answer was to put a bumper on the log. (Not going to happen-UGLY) So, be careful when opening doors, unless the refer is just sitting all by itself in the open. I am picky, I'll admit, but a simple doorstop - come on.

o

baver - are you referring to the stainless on the freestandings or do you think the stainless is thin and magnetic on the built in's as well?

o

I was referring to the freestandings, but I have a feeling they are using the same on the built-ins. Also, I should add the seals are not that strong. I was able to put a dollar bill between the seal and the main unit and it came out pretty darn easily. I was just at a friend's house with a cheapo Kenmore and I couldn't believe how strong that was. I don't recall if the seal on the built-in was better on the Liebherr. One thing Sub-Zero, Thermador, and even the Electrolux Icon built-ins do have is a very strong seal. If I could do it all over again, I probably would've gone for the built-in (which does have a door stop) or waited to look at the 36". IMO, the built-in configuration could be much better. The Bio-Fresh in the separate compartment plus regular produce drawers in the main refer section don't make a lot of sense to me. If Bio-Fresh is so wonderful, why would you want to put produce in the non-Bio-Fresh bins. I guess I must be missing something. Take a look at European appliances on the internet, you will find most are configured exactly as the Liebherr is, so while we may find them exotic, they really are the European equivalents of a GE. Electrolux in Europe, Fagor.... I honestly don't dislike my Liebherr, but I think they are a bit over-hyped and could be so much better with a little tweaking, although with the weak dollar, I would expect more "value-engineering" or a fairly significant price hike.

o

baver - when did you buy your fridge?

I just saw the 36" at the Arch Dig Home Show and really liked it - I'm thinking of getting it - would you be able to dent your SS if you knocked into it? (I have 2 larger clumsy dogs...)

Also, do you find that you are losing a lot of cool air? if you could slide a dollar bill thru I'm imagining you'd feel a little draft or something?

o

I was one of the "early adopters" that imported the 30 inch Liebherr from Canada. It is now going on five years now (or more?) and I still love the fridge. I bought it when I was single and I am now married with a baby. There is plenty of space in the fridge and freezer for the three of us. (We got through the excess breast milk crisis by picking up a cheap freezer chest for the basement at Sears.) It is still quiet. The only issue I have had is with the condensation drip tray in the back wall of the fridge. About once every 6 months we get a biological build up, i.e. "gunk," that stops up the drainhole. I clean it out with a q-tip and a tiny drop of bleach and all is well. Highly recommend this appliance.

o

The only thing I don't love about our new Liebherr is how difficult it is to spell. Besides doing a great refridgeration job, it looks sooo cooool. Very high tech. I have greatly cut down on throwing out limp vegetables and old fruit.
My question: it came with a tiny bottle of Neoblank Lubricant for Stainless Steel and I have yet to find anything that works so well. Does anyone know where to buy this in the US or something else that works? The stuff I've tried so far is useless.
BTW, this may seem like a "duh" moment, but I recently discovered you can pull the drawers out of the freezer and use only the glass shelves (which I didn't even know where there..duh). As a matter of fact, it is recommended when loading up with a lot of unfrozen foods as I did after a recent shopping trip. The Liebherr was calling me, scolding me, and generally freaking out because I had raised the temp in the freezer with the new food. It can be kind of bossy. :-)

o

Anyone know if the 30'' model is going to be available in the french door design in the near future?

o

I've had my Liebherr for about 7 (maybe more?) years, love it to bits. It's 60cm..guess that would be about 24"? It looks similar to the current ones, only it has the temp guage at the top on the outside of the door, which to me makes more sense.

Maybe the quality has changed in that time, but I feel the stainless steel is weightier than my other s/s appliances and like the fact that magnets stick to it, as my tea towels have magnetic attachments.
We did have a door replaced free of charge despite being outside the warranty, as it developed tiny rust spots. But if I'm being honest we had a huge wet and stick sticker on the door for ages(one of the characters from Monsters Inc) and I suspect that caused the problem.

We also have the same problem as willcook4food, but I only clean the drain hole maybe once a year.

Pegeen - I seem to find that most German appliances are "bossy" :) My Bosch tumble dryer won't stop bleeping until I get up and empty the water tray.

I've only got one bad photo of my Liebherr, excuse the mess it was during the renovation of our last house -it's been through 3 (soon to be 4) house moves with us.

Photobucket

o

after hearing these reviews, i'm regretting not considering it before getting my 30" SZ. i was worried about the after-service in a city like new orleans, where i live, where virtually having a liebherr is unheard of. but, one consideration to liebherr owners: what is its energy rating? i do love the fact that my SZ carries an enegy star rating. heck, that's why i slimmed down to a 30" afterall.

o

Nolamom- Liebherr's entire range meets and exceeds Energy Star ratings or A-rated as we say over here, which was one of the reasons I chose it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liebherr active green

o

We have had ours for about 4 months now. Here's my real objective review: looks great, works great. Negatives: I would have preferred a pull out freezer over the swing door, but this is not enough of a negative to pay more than $2,000 more for the Sub Zero. Second, the alarm goes off when you leave the door open (which is a good thing), but it also goes off when the temperature is only a few degrees off the setting. This got us nervous a few times, but you can always turn the alarm off.

Last, when we first got it, my wife thought that it did not hold much, but once you align the dividers to meet your requirements, you can indeed hold a lot.

Overall, very happy with it! and I repeat it looks great!

o

karenintheuk:

stick a dagger into my heart, why don't you. i just paid $7800 for my 30" SZ. the liebherr's are that much cheaper?? i made the assumption that the liebherr's were as or more expensive. the saleswoman at the local SZ dealer said that SZ fridge prices were due to rise in november(?). if i wanted a january delivery i'd have to order that day...dumb, hasty me. and energy star rated? oh, the agony!

o

We have the 24" lebherr, and we love it. It's quiet, very efficient and I don't have to dig way back there for things. The freezer size is good for us because we rarely eat frozen food and don't stock pile frozen meat. We also looked at the Lg brand to compare while shopping for 24" fridge but Liebherr won.

o

I wish some of the new owners of the 36" FD fully integrated line would check in here! For as long as I've been planning to purchase that fridge -- and have even placed a cab order with appropriate door panel specs for the HC 2062 -- I'm all of sudden getting cold feet on actually ordering the fridge! Besides price (which is probably the biggest deterrent in today's economic climate), I'm really unnerved by the self-close door problem.

Does anyone who purchased the 2062 line have any new update info share about their experiences?

o

I have the 2062 fully integrated and have an issue with the self close doors. I have not heard from Liebherr yet. I would also love to hear any feedback from anyone who has the fully integrated model as well.

o

Nolamom - Sorry! I'd better not say that I paid 800 for mine ($1400ish)...

o

One thing that was an additional consideration for me, over the Sub-Zero: although both have the extra compressor that holds the door tightly shut, the Leibherr has a really well-designed handle, that allows the pressure to be released without you having to tug on it, to open. I got pains in my arms with every Sub-Zero I've ever opened, having to tug it so hard. If you are slightly built, or have arthritis, or just don't want a workout every time you open the fridge, then the Leibherr is better.

Apart from the fact that I just love the layout, the freezer drawers, the efficiency, the price, um, everything . . .

o

We are getting the 24" Liebherr after several years of searching and figuring out what we can do without.

I looked at Sub-Zero, Perlick, Marvel, Fagor, LG, Blomberg, Summit, ConServ, Vestfrost, Bosch, Thermador, and more. In terms of total volume and useable space, I measured all the fridges insides, multiplied the three dimensions, and divided by 172 to get true volume inside --- and I found that some manufacturers overestimate this a lot. This can explain the remark made far above "How can the SZ632 be rated at almost 29 cubic feet capacity, while the seemingly equivalent LH SBS 2410 is listed at a total of 22.2 cf? That seems like a huge difference."

This month we brought large containers to a store (juice cans, coffee, milk) to fit them into the door shelves. Liebherr was best. Ditto for the shelving. The half-shelf option is worth a lot. I even found a way to use it as an 80% shelf, so a high necked bottle can fit on a shelf below while you still get an almost complete shelf above.

We would have liked a small French door in Liebherr quality. Today, only LG has a small French door (30") but it is too bulky for our kitchen size and style.

The other fridges that cost less are good to consider too. Saving $ means you get fewer features, less mechanical quality and esthetics.

David

o
A Liebherr Horror Story

A Liebherr horror story. We have the 24" model for less than a year, First the Ice Maker didn't work when it was installed, They came from 2 hours away and said they "fixed" it. Next the Icemaker flooded the kitchen floor and set off the fire alarm in the basement. They then replaced the whole icemaker. Now the freezer is flooded again and all the food destroyed. A solid block of ice. Also the unit as installed does not let the door to the fridge or the freezer close by themselves. Does everyone have that problem? The Fridge has an alarm based on the light but the freezer does not alarm until overtemp. Its too late on both when you leave the house. I am looking for a complaint department at Liebherr. Anyone have any leads?

Barry

o

The Leibherr is not intended to have "self-closing" doors - i.e. that swing shut. This is typical of European fridges: you need to shut the door yourself. (My British family all thought my old GE wasn't level, because the door always swung shut).

I would think the complaint should go through whoever you bought the fridge from. Otherwise, a contact number will be in your instruction manual.

My 30"'s alarms are based on temperature. I think you can alter the temperature at which the alarm will sound. Again, should be in the instruction manual (which is available on their website if you have lost it)

o

Still love our liebherr 24" fridge, it's quiet,efficient,and a great solution if you have a small kitchen. Things don't get lost in there, and we have plenty of interior space.

o

I have found that extreme negative posts are usually coming from people with bad intentions. ... e.g. perhaps because they are retailers who don't have a contract to sell that product or worse they have lost their contract because they abused the business relationship. So, a person claiming to have an unusual problem, uh hunh, yeahh... After reading about the steps taken to resolve issues I make my own conclusion.
Anyone can sign in and claim to be anyone. A big negative post with no corroboration is not a credible source. If I see a recurring problem I begin to think it is serious. If the people describing the problem are all definitely different people.

David

o

A little harsh on those of us who have posted "extreme negative posts", don't you think? Contrary to some people's beliefs, some of us have had horrendous experiences with products and come to this site to share those experiences. Most often those with extreme problems will be a little angry. You can do a search on my Electrolux posts. I had a terrible experience and I was one of the first to post these. Later, many more people have had similar issues. Someone has to be the first, so let them express themselves.

Now as far as the Liebherr, the new 24" integrated models do have a "SoftClose" system which does "close" the door when the door is open at 30 degrees or less. This is a new, Liebherr patented system. See link below.

As far as the IceMaker, I know there were early issues with these as on the 24" model a compressor was sacrificed to add an ice maker, but this was a couple of years ago, so it sounds like Barry is just having some of my bad luck. I have yet to hook up my ice maker after my purchase of 2-24" free-standing models a year and a half ago.(Well water, remodel,blah...blah...blah)

I still have some temp issues with mine, as well as smell issues (from what I assume are the large temp variations in the refer compartment). I need to have Liebherr come out and check. I still am ticked that the salesperson did not tell me my 24" free-standing did not have dual-compressors(one of the main reasons I went with Liebherr in the first place), but life goes on. By the way, I only found out that mine had one compressor, when I made a call to Liebherr to ask a question. Still waiting to hear back from anyone on here with the 24" free-standing models re: temp variation in the refer section. Mine consistently varies about 12 degrees. RARELY is it ever at the set 36 degrees.

It still looks great but has gotten a little noisier. If I had to do it all over, I would have bought 2 built-in 24" units.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liebherr Brochure

o

O.k., I'm buying the Liebherr 30" tomorrow. But guess what -- I was quoted $500 more to get the custom panel model (built-in not "integrated".) Subzero and Jennaire cost LESS for unfinished doors but Liebherr want's $500 more and then there is the cost of the panels. So...I'm thinking of sliding it into side cabinet paneling and getting the standard stainless front (like the handles better too.) My heart was set on panel doors for this ol' 1837 New England kitchen though. Any one else get custom door panels?

o

I've had my 24" for 3 years, but do have the same smell issues and major temp fluctuations inside as other posters have noted. It is all temp related and especially find it's a bigger problem in the summer when the temp in my condo is elevated (no A/C) The low-energy useage compressor doesn't seem to be able to keep up. I've found that I have to set the temp quite low when I have meats in the fridge else it smells nasty. I also have solved some of the smells issues by keeping things that might typically start to smell in tupperware-type containers. The vegies are a problem too since there is a 3/8" gap between the drawer and the shelf above (no "seal" like you'd have in a typical GE-type fridge) It's a pain, but it is what it is and it looks beautiful. The fridge was almost too new in my area when I bought it to have many complaints. buyer be ware... I also have to be really careful at the beginning of season (it's a summer house) not to overload the freezer as it can't keep up with large volume unless the items are already frozen (even on superfrost).

Lesson: don't judge a fridge by it's cover...

o

Ocnr,

Is yours free-standing? Do you have the ventilation fan set to 'on'. Apparently, this helps when the weather is warmer and more humid outside. I have 2-24 inch free-standing units. I did need to have both computer boards replaced in mine. Temps were off by about 5 degrees. Without the fan, temp fluctuates about 12 degrees, with them on, about 7 degrees. I am not sure this is the case with the dual compressor models. Perhaps, someone with one of those models who have monitored the temp with another thermometer can chime in, I really wish I'd known about the single compressors in this particular model, and I probably would've chosen something else. The 30" model with dual compressors was too tall and I found the interiors more flimsy. I keep mine at the lowest setting in the fridge, 36, and temps in the center average about 38. Goes down to 33 and up to 41 in middle. The smell issue only seems to be in one of my refrigerators. I don't quite understand that. They sure are pretty though. Although the stainless is thin and a total pain to clean. I have had no problems with produce. Stuff seems to last forever. Much, much longer than the Electrolux ICON piece of crap I had before. I think the whole energy-star thing are current refrigerators downfall.
Kitchen 2009

o

iamthinking of getting a cabinet ready french door with the freezer on the bottom are there any concerns with the closure of the french doors?

o

DON'T BUY Lieberr premium Biofresh Frostfree with ICE MAKER!DON'T BUY
In three years we have had to replace the ice tray three times at a cost of 200Euro each time!
Bad design don't buy, ZERO response from the factory or the company, Too bad!

o

I have owned 30" Liebherr built in refrigerator for 3years. I have had to replace the ice maker twice and the defroster once. The door on the bottom freezer bounces back unless manually shut and the alarm does not go on for several hours. (by that time, I could be out of town).

Last week I received a recall message that the door hinges needed to be replaced. A Liebherr approved service person came today and replaced the hinges, left the doors misaligned saying that he would have to call Liebherr to find out how to adjust them.

After waiting for three hours for the freezer temperature to regulate, I realized that the freezer which was filled with food was not functioning. I called the service company, was told that I would be called back, spent the whole day waiting, with the freezer getting warmer by the minute. After about four more calls, the the service man finally called back and told me that he could not come till evening and that I should get an ice chest with ice. He claimed that all he did was replace the door. however, the freezer was working perfectly before he came, and has not worked since he left. It is now past 10:45 PM. He has not come and a freezer full of food is getting ruined.

I do not recommend a Liebherr to anybody!!! I have had nothing but trouble.

o

The Liebherr representative also had said that if he could not make it that evening, he would come the next day. I started calling the next day at 9 AM. After leaving five messages on two different phones, I realized that I would never get an answer from him and that he had no intention of coming. He obviously did not know what he was doing. I JUST THREW OUT A FREEZER FULL OF THAWED FOOD!!!

o

other than not working and the repair folks not fixing whatever is wrong...

and other than the repair department being rather cavalier about us not having a functional refrigerator for weeks...

the freezer temperature bounces between -3 and +14
the refrigerator temperature bounces between 36 and 61

but other than those things, it's fine. nice size. 10 cu ft is just perfect for our family of four. very functional shelves and drawers.

if only it kept things cold

o

We have the 4200 side by side model. It is now just over 2 years old. Firstly we have had a great run with the freezer side and think it was worth the money, however the refrigerator has not performed. We have had problems that are fitting for cheap brand. The small drip hole is constantly blocking. We have had to replace the handle pivots twice. We have just had our third vegetable bin crack (they are poorly designed) One of the door bottle holders had a crack. Have had to clean out the water tray on top of the compressor as there was a putrid smell coming from it. The other faults were fixed under warranty by the importer. Maybe there have been upgrades to these problems?

o

I have a Liebherr 24". It's less than a year old. So far the ice maker has broken. And the door handle has broken 2 times. The first time the handle broke it took over 6 weeks to get it fixed! The ice maker is still not fixed, and the handle just broke again today!!!!!

o

Follow up story on my Liebherr nightmare.
Monday, June sixth the repairmen shows up, puzzles and puzzles and proceeds to tell me that the freon had leaked out and that he will call for the part and call me back within the hour. Well it is now more than eighty hours and I have not heard from him. I guess he can't tell time either.

Not having heard from the repair man by Monday evening, I called the Liebherr Company in Arizona and was told the service manager is aware of my problem, will try to resolve it, and call me back. By Wednesday, I heard nothing. I called Liebherr again, was told that the service manager was not in, and I could leave a message on his voice mail. I did so. Today, Thursday (I have no freezer, no ice and the temperature is approaching 100 degrees), I called again and again got his voice mail and no response. If this situation is not resolved soon, I guess my only recourse is the court.

o

Follow up on follow up
I have been promised a new refrigerator. This is my third weekend without a freezer and I have also been depleting the refrigerator so as not to have food unrefrigerated during installation. There is no delivery in sight. I have written to, spoken to representatives of Liebherr, the distributor, the store where I purchased it. All to no avail. The installer is to be the same person who ruined the freezer. He is obviously the only one left in the entire area who is still willing to service Liebherr. I sure hope that if and when they do install the new appliance, I will not have to call upon him, or in the long run have to purchase another brand.

o

Followup on followup on followup

Called Liebherr this morning, spoke to Bill, was told repair man has the refrigerator, will call me to make an appointment.

PS He hasn't called. I am getting hungrier by the minute. Can't buy food, have no place to put it

o

Second refrigerator installed.

Ice maker does not work.

Freezer door does not shut properly

White patches of caulk protruding sloppily from seams

What a piece of expensive junk with service to march!!!

o

I rue the day I bought the 24 inch. Lots of temperature fluctuations, terrible freezer compartment , most upsetting after 2 years a "Heating unit " needs to be replaced. the alarm is on all the time, the vegetable tray is often full of water because a little hole on the back wall may get clogged. No food can touch the back wall or it gets frozen, etc.etc. Would not recommend it at all. Feel totally duped.

o

It feels like our nightmare with Liebherr fridges is just getting going. The story is the usual with the main integrated fridge/freezer breaking down ie several ice maker faults over first 4 years, broken shelves, broken compressor after 5 years. However after spending an extra $1500 on these items, the main fridge seems to have settled down. BUT NOW our Liebherr under bench bar fridge also requires a new compressor after 6 years. WHy did we pay so much for such feeble fridges? The call out was $154 to tell me I need a new compressor and then I paid $1278 this morning to ALpha Appliances in SYdney for the new compressor (and new gas, labour and whatever else) . Wait for it, NOW after 6 hrs trying to coax it into action, the fridge is no better. It had been in the Alpha appliances repair shop for a week with no improvement. Very noisy and not cooling even slightly!! Fortunately Alpha seem to take an interest , (so far so good) and they are returning tomorrow. I will follow up with how they deal with this scenario ... DO not BUY a LIEBHERR fridge. We have had way too many problems for the money we spent, on what we thought was the best quality. Stay tuned for the story with Alpha Appliances and how they deal with us, after all we have spent.

o

I'm considering a Liebherr for our kitchen model. 2 of the 24" units. The fridge/freezer unit and the bio-fresh refrigerator. Looks like reviews on this brand started out good and then by these posts in 2011 ...Not so good.

Anything recent in the last 2 years? Does anyone have the bio fresh refrigerator? Thanks!

o

We recently installed (two months now) the 30" bio fresh. We love, love, love it! Took a bit getting used to the height, but other than that, a gorgeous piece of equipment. When I first plugged it in, I thought it was broken, because I could not hear the motor running! lol

o

Thank you ctycdm...I'm wondering if there was just a time of some roughness in the quality or something?

o

I did just post recent troubles with my Liebherr. I do still like it. Not sure why. The layout is great for us. No bending over. (freezer on bottom.) I've not looked at recent models as mine is 4-5 yrs old. I will be in a major appliance store in the next few days, (replacing my double wall oven), so i'll take a look and ask some questions for you.

o

@sleevendog Please post what you're looking at for double wall ovens! I'm replacing all my appliances and i need to make a decision there too! This is so much work :/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here