Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andre_7

Kenmore Elite top-freezer refrigerator seal issue.

andre_7
9 years ago

We noticed that the action of closing the bottom refrigerator door opens the top freezer door slightly. Not enough to completely break the seal, but enough to let some of the cold escape.

This means that every time we close the fridge door we need to press on the freezer door to reset the full seal.

Possible explanation : closing the bottom door pushes air up in the freezer section. Does this make sense?

If my theory is correct, what can I do to solve the problem ?

I invite forum members to closely observe the behaviour of their freezer seal when they close the fridge door, and kindly report their observation...

Comments (2)

• stevep2005
    9 years ago

The elasticity of the seals degrade over time. I have an 8 year old FD fridge and the closing of one door started leaving the other ajar. If we were home we'd hear the door alarm but a couple of times it happened on the way out the door - ruining food in the process.
    When I called the local appliance shop the guy recommended coating the seals in petroleum jelly (three sides & wiping off excess), claiming that it sometimes restores enough elasticity. I did it that once and the fridge has been sealing fine ever since (over a year now).

Might be worth a try.

• andre_7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I will try it, although our fridge is relatively new.