Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Anyone else NOT use their icemaker?

sail_away
10 years ago

I just got to wondering whether I'm the only holdout left who doesn't hook up the refrigerator icemaker. Many, many years ago, we got our first refrigerator with icemaker, and the ice was terrible tasting---something about the frost-free affecting the taste, I was told. So when we got our next refrigerator, with icemaker, we just never hooked it up. Fast forward to today, and we are planning to replace the refrigerator (22 y/o) before it gives out on us. When we do, we dont plan to hook up the icemaker---not because we think the ice will taste bad, but because it seems to be the #1 cause of repairs for refrigerators and we don't want the bother or expense.

So, much like people who decide not to have a DW and don't miss it, we figure we won't miss what we've never had.

I do have a related question: Is it possible to remove the icemaker from the freezer portion of the refrigerator and reclaim that area for storage in the freezer? I once read that you can get a ''kit'' of some sort to do this, but I've never seen any such kit anywhere.

Comments (42)

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

We bought our first ever fridge with ice maker for our new kitchen. I can't believe I lived without one for so long! My ice tastes great. Well, it's tasteless, really. Just wonderful, frozen, simple, plentiful, effortless ice. I didn't use much ice before the new fridge because I live in a colder climate and messing with dripping trays of water being carried across the room from the sink to the fridge was a PITA. Having to buy a bag of ice for a small summer party was annoying. I thoroughly enjoy my ice maker now! What I wouldn't, and didn't, do was to get an in-door dispenser for ice.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

We never liked our parents ice-maker ice for that reason and never had one until recently. It is hooked up to our filtered water and has its own bin. Love it when it is working properly. Very clean tasting.
    They can usually be removed or opted at the sale to not be included on many models. The only way to know for sure is to get the manufacturer on the phone and ask. Call again if the answer is not sufficient and they will usually refer you to their service dept.
    I would not rely on a sales dept in a store. I usually know more about what they are selling than they do.
    I've tried to get my mother to bag it up and store it in her deep freeze to not only fill up empty space and use the old for keeping things cool for travel, but to have somewhat fresher ice when we visit. It also takes up so much room in her freezer!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

We never liked our parents ice-maker ice for that reason and never had one until recently. It is hooked up to our filtered water and has its own bin. Love it when it is working properly. Very clean tasting.
    They can usually be removed or opted at the sale to not be included on many models. The only way to know for sure is to get the manufacturer on the phone and ask. Call again if the answer is not sufficient and they will usually refer you to their service dept.
    I would not rely on a sales dept in a store. I usually know more about what they are selling than they do.
    I've tried to get my mother to bag it up and store it in her deep freeze to not only fill up empty space and use the old for keeping things cool for travel, but to have somewhat fresher ice when we visit. It also takes up so much room in her freezer!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

You aren't the only one. We didn't connect the icemaker to our current fridge (22 years ago), and we won't connect the new fridge we're getting this month. It was a bit of a challenge to find a fridge without a water dispenser - I don't see paying for a feature I won't use.

Our neighbors had a flood when the water line to the fridge ruptured or disconnected. In two days the leak ruined their kitchen flooring, base cabinets, and their entire finished basement - carpet, baseboards, drywall. Even though it was covered by insurance, it was a huge inconvenience. Since then I've heard several similar incidents, and they've scared me off icemakers altogether.

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

We didn't have our hooked up for a few years. Now that it is we love it. We have a whole house water filter. No taste. I would give it another try if you can filter the water.

• mike_73
    10 years ago

I never had one until about a year and a half ago. I won't be happy with out now. I did have issues connecting it wit the plastic hose I had to go get copper water line as the plastic kept bursting off at the connection point to the fridge as soon as I turned the valve on. I did not get a dispenser for ice and water on the door though I wanted that. I got an internal water tap and ice bin in the freezer. They can still break but there is a little less to break than having it in the door. The ice and water is filtered so it always tastes good.

• rentaltux
    10 years ago

We have always had one and always will. We go through a pile of ice and cannot imagine not having one. When hooked up properly it is as safe as anything else that has water including your kitchen sink. I wouldn't not have one because "what if..." I can honestly say that in 20+ years and probably 6 or 7 fridges we have never had to service one... knock on wood... It is kinda like having an air conditioner or??? and not hooking it up because "what if" it breaks and needs repairs...

• rentaltux
    10 years ago

What if you get hit by a flying man hole cover...

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Funny you asked this just now, because I just asked DH yesterday whether I was wrong not to have the plumbing run over in case we ever wanted to get a fridge with an ice maker. He said that he can not imagine ever needing an ice maker or water dispenser. Since I don't feel the necessity of one either, when the time comes we'll try to get a fridge without one, too. Seems like a nice-to-have, but in my small kitchen, I'd rather have more fridge/freezer capacity.

My parents have a built-in fridge from 1980, when their house was built. (I know - does anything last that long any more?) The ice maker stopped working years ago, although the fridge itself keeps working like a champ.

• dees_1
    10 years ago

We use a lot of ice. For a while, we had a stand alone icemaker and didn't use the one in the fridge. The stand alone needs a new pump so rather than spend $$ on the repair, we plugged the fridge unit back it.

Be careful when removing the icemaker. I did that to our extra fridge and found out that the thermostat doesn't work without the icemaker plugged in. We had a power surge and the spare fridge did not come back on. I plugged the icemaker back in and it works just fine. I don't have water to it so it's not making ice but make a note of this. I'm sure you could get something to plug in it's place and reclaim the space.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Did not hook mine up and do not care about refrigerated water, either. I bought a 22 cu. ft. KA FD model last fall. It came with an automatic ice maker as did virtually everything else I looked at. Have had no luck finding a "DIY-able" kit for removing it. I just turn it off and remove the tray/container.

On the infrequent occasions when I need ice cubes, I just use an ice tray for small quantities. When I need ice for for one of my big coolers, I need a lot more than the icemaker could produce and I want a big block, anyway.

OTOH, I have friends for whom a refrigerator is a nice add-on to their ice and water dispensers.

On the subject that Rentalux raised, I'm not sure if Rentalux meant to suggest that it is rare that refirgerators will ruin a house or that that ice-maker breakdowns are as rare as flying manhole covers.

A couple of statistics tell me otherwise on the latter. A few years back, when GE and Kenmore were sourcing fridges from LG, serious problem rates hit 25% on models with plumbing for ice-makers and ice-maker/water dispensers, according to surveys of Consumer Reports members. LG fridges without ice or water dispeners ran about a 10% problem rate. Last year. when GE began building its own fridges again and LG did a lot of work on quality control, the serious problem rate was lowered to 16%, which was still 60% higher than for the non-dispenser models. Whirlpool/KA/Maytag/Amana refrigerator products have been significantly more reliable, but its ice-maker fridges (BF, FD and SxS) show a significanly higher problem rate.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Wed, May 29, 13 at 14:27

• Mistman
    10 years ago

I had quit using the one in my old fridge as the ice tasted nasty. Still not using that one. I've since installed a whole house water filtration system and am using the one in the new Sub/Z (which also has a filter). I find that if we don't use ice very often it will still pick up some 'flavors', I put them in the dog bowels, they don't complain. On those rare occasions when we use a lot we just buy a couple bags.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I can't believe the dogs don't complain when you put ice in their bowels. :)

• ginny20
    10 years ago

LOL, palimpsest. That's quite the mental picture, isn't it?

Just ribbin' ya, Mistman!

• MiMi
    10 years ago

Our refrigerator has a internal, replaceable filter but in addition to that my husband added a big one to the water line, so our ice and water is double filtered... it tastes great. I cannot imagine being without one.

• Mistman
    10 years ago

okay, okay, ya got me on that one ;)

I'm sure there would be a little more than complaining going on.......

• Caya26
    10 years ago

Years ago the water/ice from the fridges did taste bad. When we moved to this house 12 years ago we got a Side by Side fridge with the water/ice dispenser - it is filtered water and is wonderful. Could not do without it - we use a lot of ice, and I use the filtered water to make iced tea every day. Just replaced the fridge with a Kenmore Elite FD and it is terrific - the ice cubes are smaller than the old KA fridge, better to fit into smaller glasses - and the water comes out so cold and in a nice stream.
    For those who haven't tried it, it's not 1990 anymore...

This post was edited by Caya26 on Wed, May 29, 13 at 21:59

• sail_away
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, informative, and amusing responses here. I enjoyed reading them all. As I stated in my opening paragraph, I don't think that the ice or water would taste bad now (we have several friends with icemakers/water dispensers and they all taste just fine). However, I have read repeatedly that the icemaker is a known reason for many, if not the majority, of refrigerator repairs. We do have the plumbing installed to hook up the water dispenser/icemaker, but we don't use enough ice to make it worth it to us. If I had lived with an icemaker and water dispenser previously, then maybe I would find it more indispensable, but we're all happy without it, so we're not going to miss it. Nor will we miss the service calls and costs to repair one that's not working.

I do think the concern about a flooded kitchen is a valid point. We have had more than one friend have to replace the floor (and subfloor) in their kitchen due to an undetected water leak or a leak that occurred while they were out of town. While I wouldn't stop driving a car because I have many friends who have had car accidents, that is because driving is a necessity to me---far more important than having instant ice or cold water. I would be hard pressed to get along without being able to drive independently. Going without an icemaker, however, is a viable option for me because it's simply not that important to me. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but that's fine, too.And the added fact that not having one will ensure against a leaking water line causing damage to kitchen and basement is just a bonus.

I don't think there's one right or wrong answer. I was just wondering if any others had made the same choice I have. Now I know that, while in the minority, I'm not alone.

Thanks for the words of caution about removing the icemaker. I will definitely contact the manufacturer before doing so. If we need to leave it in, that will be okay---I'd rather do that than risk problems for just a little more room in the freezer.

• rentaltux
    10 years ago

If you don't think you will use or need it then by all means why waste the $$$ hooking it up. I was just saying that one shouldn't not do something because "what if"... When hooked up properly the chances of flooding are greatly reduced. When I have researched appliances in the past it is easy to get caught up in all the negative reviews on virtually all appliances. It can be paralyzing. Eventually you have to just bite the bullet and do what is best for you and only you.

I have a close friend that cannot and will not purchase anything for fear of getting a lemon or a better model coming along after he buys something or a negative review on a forum somewhere. I am usually his test pilot for anything he is forced to buy. :-)

Anything and everything WILL eventually break down, this we know for certain...

Best of luck with what you decide!

R

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Good points.

• sail_away
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rentaltux, I can certainly relate to the paralysis that comes with trying to research and buy appliances. Just when I thought I'd made a decision, I'd find a bunch of negative information and move on to the next possibility. I received a lot of good advice here, but I think the one that made the biggest difference and enabled me to make a choice was when someone pointed out that they ALL have negatives---from the most deluxe to the entry level appliances---so, after some research, just find the features you want in your price range and get it. We researched as best we could and then chose our favorites from what we had narrowed down our list to.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Sailaway, my KA fridge that I am replacing has an ice maker with ice and water on the door. The ice maker stopped working years ago and DH didn't want to bother to have it replaced. I can definitely live without it.

This go around I opted to not have ice or water on the door but do have ice maker and water dispenser inside the unit. I wouldn't bother to hook up either as I don't like using ice for any beverages with the exception of water but DH wants both the ice maker and water dispenser and is not thrilled that I didn't want it on the door.

• ma-bookreader
    9 years ago

Sorry to revive an old post, but I have the same question. I'm in the market for a new fridge and I don't want an ice maker or a water dispenser. However, it seems that most fridges come with at least an ice maker. Is there a way to remove it?

I'm lookin for a white, top freezer model and the one I'm currently considering is Maytag 21CuFt top mount. Costco sells it for a terrific price and it's the perfect size but I wish it didn't have an ice maker. Any suggestions?

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Providing the model number of the refrigerator of consideration would allow for a more informed answer. Assuming it's a typical stand-alone ice maker mounted in the freezer section, you have two choices:

1) Leave the ice maker in place in the freezer if the space it takes up is not a concern, although the wiring harness should be disconnected (you'll have to dismount it for access to the harness but can then remount it), and don't connect the water supply.

2) Remove the ice maker from the freezer if you want to make use of the space, and don't connect the refrigerator to a water supply.

• ma-bookreader
    9 years ago

Maytag M1TXEGMYW 20.6 Cu. Ft. White
    This is the fridge I am considering.

I looked online for instructions on how to remove it and NOT replace it, but came up empty. I figure that there must be something I need to plug the hole for the water tubing.

Thanks!

• dadoes
    9 years ago

To remove the ice maker and not replace it ... you simply remove it and not replace it.

I suppose tape or a seal of some ilk could be placed over the water line connector on the valve at bottom rear of the refrigerator to keep debris out in case of later use. The spout inside the freezer does not need to be plugged.

This is my 17-years-old KitchenAid that has been relegated as my garage refrigerator since 2005. No water connection is there so the ice maker can't be used. I took it out several years ago to replace my parents' that went bad.

Three screws, disconnect the electrical, done.

• ma-bookreader
    9 years ago

Perfect.
    Thanks so much for replying.

• lucky123
    9 years ago

dadoes
    About the picture you posted

Can cold air escape or warm air enter through the L shaped opening where the plug connector comes through the back wall?

This post was edited by lucky123 on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 20:08

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Lucky123,

No. That is the inside panel at back of the freezer. The cooling coil and fan are behind it. Further behind that is the inner wall of the unit's outer cabinet, a layer of insulation and the exterior wall of the outer cabinet.

In any case, the L-shaped opening is there regardless of whether the ice maker is installed or not ... the ice maker does not seal if off.

• jayp416
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well, I came across this thread searching for how to disconnect and plug ice maker water lines. Just about to have the entire floor in my apartment redone due to my 8 year old Electrolux water control valve failing. The repair man said they generally last 8 to 10 years. This comes a year after my parents' new KitchenAid side by side internal water line was found to not have been sealed properly and came undone a year after purchase causing flood damage to both the main floor and finished basement. Just not worth it. I sold the Electrolux after replacing the valve and went Black Friday shopping for a fridge without ice and water but settled on one with a hidden/ internal water dispenser and ice maker, which won't be hooked up. Like TVs that are "smart" by default, all nice fridges come with water and ice, either door external or internal, even though I just didn't want that feature. After helping to deal with two fridge water line damage claims over the past two years, I'm sticking with ice trays and a counter top water filter.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I don't plan to hook up the ice maker in my current build project. They tend to break (from the experiences of relatives) and they do tend to taste funky. I can use ice cube trays to my heart's content! (My current fridge is too small to come with one -- my kitchen is too small to have the size fridge I am putting into my build.)

• bmessias
    7 years ago

Funny how everyone who commented didnt answer your question.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I think there is a big difference between just a plain ice maker in the freezer, and an ice/water dispenser in the door. The later IS subject to lots of repairs, but not the ice maker in the freezer. I don't use a lot of ice (mainly at dinner) but having just spent a month in a rental house with no ice maker and family members who ALWAYS appeared to put the empty ice tray back in the freezer, I was glad to come home to mine!

• chas045
    7 years ago

Until we moved to a home without a refer., we had always had second hand basic refers and DW really wanted 'ice in the door' so we have had and used one for a decade without problems. We only use it a few times a day and the ice container is large. On occasion, we have used it to collect several containers of ice for large ice use in a day or two. OTOH, we have removed the container (flipping the fill switch off) to temporarily store more items in the freezer.

• Patricia Heaton
    7 years ago

Why do you buy a refrigerator with an icemaker if you don't plan to use it!

• sail_away
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Try to find one without an icemaker! I do buy the refrigerators without ice and water in the door, but every refrigerator I have considered comes with a built-in icemaker.

• sail_away
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Irvin, Appreciate your advice for added protection with water lines. We bought the braided hoses for our washing machine when we moved into our new home, but they simply would not work in the space available---DH said something about them not being flexible enough (sigh). Turning off the main water line when leaving for extended periods sounds like a good idea---would just have to leave a note for myself reminding me to turn it back on as soon as I got back.

• Leather Pig
    4 years ago

We recently purchased the French Door Samsung Refrigerator with the icemaker in the door and it is terrible. We have a stand-alone clear ice maker that makes perfectly clear ice in convenient literal cubes. Still, we couldn't get the French Door model without the icemaker. What a joke. It takes up almost the entire door shelving area (you can fit a couple of condiments and maybe a popsicle (1 popsicle) in the door where the ice maker is. It cuts 1/3 of the storage space for the top half of the fridge and it is useless. I am trying to remove it and toss it today.

• jakkom
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We were able to order our Amana bottom freezer fridge w/o an icemaker. DH was disappointed, but I bought him covered ice trays so he's happy. I never use ice, and he hardly used it at all, so it was just taking up space for no reason. I left the line (that ran to the old fridge) intact, so a new owner can connect an icemaker if they insist on having one.

• apg4
    4 years ago

Artemis wrote:

> I don't plan to hook up the ice maker in my current build project. They tend to break (from the experiences of relatives) <

Yup.... Several years ago, just after I bought a new LG 'fridge - the first ever for me with an icemaker - I asked my appliance guy who came by to fix an old washing machine, what he thought of LG. "You'll get two years out of the ice maker." He was only off by a month....

The problem is that units with an ice maker don't have a provision to place or stack ice cube trays. The ice maker and storage bin consume a lot of space.

• PRO
    Diane
    2 years ago

I am having the same issue: I never use ice, and I hate the through-the-door ice and water dispensers because they negate the whole best thing about French door refrigerators, the fact that the storage most often used is at eye-level. Plus I find them ugly. Three strikes, you’re out!

EXCEPT: thanks to the pandemic and the subsequent shortages and trucking delays, the only refrigerators available as French door models mostly have through-the-door options. I bought one, a Frigidaire Gallery, and I love the design, the lighting, and the fact that the freezer second inner drawer has it’s own metal drawer glides, and not sitting on top of the freezer door’s plastic sides. However, the left side of the fridge compartment has about 1/3 of the space wasted by the ice and water through-the-door unit.

My previous Samsung at another house was great, and no through the door feature, just a small discreet interior water dispenser and ice maker in the freezer’s top drawer (with separate metal drawer glides), and I never hooked the water lines up. However, after 13 years it died, and the next Samsung I bought did NOT have the durable second drawer glides for the freezer interior drawer, and although I have not had too many issues with it, those inner drawers that sit on the bottom freezer’s plastic are famous for going off the tracks.

So, because of this quality feature of separate drawer glides in the freezer, and the fact that it was on sale, I decided to get the through-the-door Frigidaire gallery fridge. I did not hook up the water line, and now, the fridge is going to be returned 29 days after it was purchased!!! (Lowes gives you 30 days to return from purchase date, NOT delivery date and it must be in their store by that 30 days, not just return requested!)

Why am I returning it?
    Because every couple of hours the refrigerator makes an enormously loud buzzing noise that wakes me up at 4 am and jolts me several other times throughout the day…

Why! Because the ice maker (that I don’t want) is calling for water! I don’t want to hook it up, but if it is going to make THAT much racket, I can’t keep it. I have no idea if the noise would stop if it was hooked up, or if this unit is defective, and I don’t know whether to

1. replace it with the same refrigerator, now no longer on sale but I would be exchanging it,
      or
    2. get the Samsung without the nice freezer drawer hardware,
      or
    3. take a chance on the LG with the see-through right-hand door.

There are ONLY three choices available in store now without a through-the-door feature, the last is a Hisense, which, although I LOVE the styling, has a reputation for uneven temperatures in the freezer… which is very unhealthy!

So, Samsung with junky drawer, LG which costs $700 more and although it has that funky-cool glass door with the easy reach, I don’t know about their reliability, or replace the fridge with the last remaining same model available in the store right now.

The Frigidaire does have beautiful lighting, but crap shelves, the LG shelves are okay, in the Samsung they really cheaped out on the interior shelves now, much less nice than even my replacement Samsung at my other house.

Thoughts?