Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30" Pro Style Vent Hood - To Vent Back and Down

Posted by atct86 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 12:06

I have a tricky situation in terms of installing a vent hood over a 30" Wolf Range. It is possible for me to go up, through the cabinet, and then 90 degrees out the back wall. However, it would be much better if the vent hood could vent from the rear, and then down into my basement, and to the outside wall.

I was originally planning on a Wolf hood, but do not feel like spending $2k+. I have seen a few models on eBay, and the Z-Line hoods mentioned here.

Does anyone have any recommendations for my venting scenario? An external, or inline fan would also work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30" Pro Style Vent Hood - To Vent Back and Down

As long as the tortuous basement path is not very restrictive, then an appropriate in-line or external blower should be able to handle it. While hot effluent wants to rise, it cannot compete with the 1000 ft/min velocity that should exist in the ducting.

ksa

o

I agree with kaseki... a remote blower strong enough with sufficient and proper ducting, won't care if it's pulling air up, down, or sideways

o

Are any 30x24x18 pro style hoods available with a remote blower? All I see is Wolf/Viking, which is more than I would like to spend.

o

I believe makes one that has many different configurations - http://www.broan.com/products/product/267db124-2f29-4375-8259-a95fa22db67a

o

Interesting, that Broan model is priced about right.

Is 600CFM enough? What are the pros and cons to an external, in-line, or internal blower?

o

I'd say for a 30" range, even a powerful one like Wolf, 600 is fine. In my opinion the only time you may need more than that is if you are doing a HUGE pro style range, and you'd definitely want more than that if you're going to be doing indoor grilling. Otherwise, greater CFM means greater costs, greater noise, greater makeup air, and no benefits.

o

Some of my sizing comments in the message

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0502022420649.html

apply here, as do elements of hundreds of previous postings that may be searched out.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here