Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscus53

Does anyone own an....

hibiscus53
16 years ago

Oreck vaccum cleaner? Do you like it? Need to replace my current Windtunnel for something lite weight that I can carry up and down stairs. Suggestions?

Comments (11)

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Yep...had it for years. It does a nice job. I like it because it doesn't have the huge, high front on it, so it can slide under beds, etc. to clean. I don't use the small vac that came with it, because I'd be tugging around both at the same time and it's not convenient.

I have another vac (with the huge front), a WindTunnel, which has all on-board accessories to easily vac the woodwork, etc. I find that's a very convenient feature in a vac, but usually the type of vac that house the on-board features are massive in size. It's just very heavy.

Would I buy an Oreck again? Probably since they are so light weight and don't take up much room in the closet, as well as doing a good job as mentioned.

If you snoop around on the cleaning forum or even do a search for Oreck, you may find some other postings about it.

• second45
    16 years ago

I have an Oreck. I was trying to find an easy way to vacuum the stairs, since I was using a Kirby. I like the Oreck just fine, however, still no one will vacuum the stairs!
    Note: Changing the belt involves a screw driver.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I just found a hand held Dyson (like a simple hand held vaccuum but with 200 times the power). I love it for the stairs!

• jgirl_2007
    16 years ago

I have the Oreck XL since 1/03. I am totally happy with it. I take it in once a year for maintenance which is free for the 1st 7 years. I love the fact you can go from carpet to wood to tile without any adjustments. I would definitely buy again.

• hibiscus53
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments. I'm glad I found this forum. You are all so helpful.

• wmwalker
    16 years ago

I have both an Oreck XL and a Dyson.

Dislike the bags on the Oreck, but like the light weight and low profile. Have had repair issues with this Oreck and with its predecessor (which I threw away in frustration).

Love the suction and the versitility of the Dyson with the many on-board attachments. Tis a heavy sucker, though.

If I had to live with just one, it would be the Dyson. It handles the fur that my son's black lab uses to add that lived in touch to the house. Without that factor, I would probably go with the Oreck just because it is lightweight and has a low profile.

• luckyparker
    16 years ago

Don't get an Oreck.

I love the idea of an upright, and the Oreck seemed to appealing - just plug it in, and go. However, it's been a disappointment in most every way.

First, it's an ugly machine with a clumsy design, regardless of which model you get. The less costly models have uncomfortable handles, and the more expensive models have handles that look better, but aren't much better.
    Second, they just don't clean as well on floors or carpets as other vacuums I've used. Forget about corners and edges.

You get a second machine with your upright to do stairs and windowsills and corners. This is a real clunker - ugly, uncomfortable, with nowhere to keep the attachments. It also requires a different filter and more storage space.

They'll send you a lamp with your vacuum too, which is painfully ugly.

I had trouble with my Oreck back in May, and both my local dealer and the company gave me an unbelievable runaround. It turns out that my serial number has an 'R' in it, which led them to believe it is rebuilt, which it is not, and insisted that it is no longer under warranty.
    It took weeks and weeks to resolve the issue. It's too long a story to tell, but it involved many many phone calls and e-mails, their eventually sending me a rebuilt floor model, then repairing the original vacuum, many more phone calls, AND - two months later - their sending me a bill for $450. After contacting the President's office directly three weeks ago, I still have had no response.

I have asked them to take back both machines and refund my original purchase price.

Even without all the trouble, the Oreck is a dated, disappointing and unremarkable machine.

If you don't need a sexy-looking machine, get a Kenmore.

• jeri
    16 years ago

There was a recent thread on the Kitchen Forum about vacuums  some really good inputÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Forum Vacuum Thread

• steve_o
    16 years ago

Not to veer too far off topic, but this is the second or third thread I've seen in this forum with a "teaser" subject line to which, as it turns out, I can contribute nothing. I would have known that much earlier had one little word been added to the subject. *shrug* Guess I'll just skip the vague subjects and let the more adventurous click away. It's only information... :-p

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

I have had my Oreck for about 2 years & love it! There is another topic about this in the cleaning forum I think. Anyway, I have 2 dogs & it does a great job picking up their fur. The only bad things I can say are: They aren't the most beautiful machine, but who cares if it works! Also, I live in a rural area & can't purchase the bags @ any of the stores around, so I have to make sure I order off the net *before* I run out, but that's not that big of a deal to me. Anyway, I would definitly recommend! Plus, when I got mine, you could try it for 30 days & if you didn't like it send it back for free, so you wouldn't be losing anything. (No, I don't work for Oreck.) :)

Here is a link that might be useful: You might want to check this site out...

• eleeny
    16 years ago

We've hade an Oreck for over 4 years and we love it too! It's light-weight and very easy to maneuver, gets up and down the stairs easily, and is thin enough that it gets under the bed without problems too.

To be honest, it's not the most powerful machine available. And it's not the prettiest. But it works well and is easy to use. I really hate those huge 20+ pound machines with 10 attachments on them. Just the thought of lugging that thing around makes me not feel like vacuuming.

The handheld vac that it came with is a bit too big, rather clunky, and ugly. It works fine, but I think I'd prefer a sleeker smaller machine for a handheld.

The cordless iron it came with (free gift #2) is totally useless. You have to heat it up on the charger, but then once you start to iron, the iron cools like within a minute or two, so you have to put it back on the charger and wait for it to reheat. Every minute or so! Ridiculous! A cordless iron is a lovely idea, but this product is very poorly executed.