Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookncarpenter

Replacing a burner knob shaft on a Bluestar

cookncarpenter
10 years ago

Has anyone had to replace a shaft that holds the knob on?
The split shaft broke in half, and knob won't stay on. Just wondering how hard of a fix is this? Assuming I can get the replacement part from Bluestar...

Comments (19)

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

hmmm...i'm not sure how to go about doing that. here's a parts list online that I found a while back. http://www.guaranteedparts.com/picture_library/BlueStar/Parts%20identification%20for%20Ranges%20and%20Cooktops.pdf

take a look and see if that part is listed. if not, definately call them and explain the situation.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

how did it break, btw?

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link gtadross! I contacted my dealer, and Bluestar is sending the part to me. It is the griddle control knob, which looks to be part of the thermostat. Hope the replacement doesn't require dismantling the whole stove...

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

No problem.

Is it for the griddle or just a knob for a burner? Keep us posted as to how to repair. Thanks.

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"how did it break, btw?"
    ...Oh, that would be my doing :0 The griddle knob felt kind of "loose" compared to the others, and wiggled and could be pulled off very easily. The split shaft compresses as you insert the knob on it, providing tension to hold it on. So brilliant me, I decide to spread the two prongs (I think they are aluminum) a bit to provide more tension, well that helped but still not a quite as tight as the others, so I spread them a bit more, and then couldn't fit the knob back on it, so I then compressed the prongs back together ever so slightly, and snap :(...

moral.... if it's not broken, don't fix it

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well good news, I just took the front of the control panel off (7 sheet metal screws) and the thermostat is held in by the two small screws on either side of the shaft. It should be easy to remove and replace:)...and then leave well enough alone;)

• Andy Chou
    6 years ago

I made the same mistake and the shaft broke. I have been using 36 RNB for last 10 years, never felt Bluestar quality is up to the price it costs. now I have to buy a Large Oven Thermostat w/Broiler setting Small Oven Thermostat - 719501 assembly? $165?

my thermostat is fine, only the damn aluminum shaft broke. Why can I just replace the shaft? it's separate from thermostat behind it.

• Foo Dlover
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@Andy, This just happened to mine. What did you end up doing?

• Andy Chou
    6 years ago

If you still have the broker piece, use it to make a "prosthetic" leg.( I used a tiny piece of aluminum), then I glue/mix it with JB Weld (black and white mixing paste glue for metal from Home Depot). shape the shaft cross to the original D shape. then let it dry. JB Weld can glue metal and dry as hard as metal. You don't need to make it perfect, as long as the knob can be pushed in and don't fall out. it's usable.

hope this helps

• Foo Dlover
    6 years ago

Thanks very much.

• HU-961062928
    4 years ago

So. I’ve got my part The entire new oven knob I’m getting re to change it out. How much involvement is this. It was snapped clean off during a recent move. Easy? Difficult?.. an is there any videos to watch to help me out. Anything helps.

• HU-858249387
    4 years ago

My oven knob just broke, do I have to dismantle the whole oven to remove the bottom shaft that is stuck to the oven

• K C !
    3 years ago

This has happened to me twice in 3 years! The blue star authorized guy wants 650 to repair a little piece of metal that snapped off. Going to try and take it apart this weekend and see if I can’t jimmy something together

• Ava Barba
    9 months ago

Zline must be using the same oven thermostat with the aluminum powdered metal shaft. im on my 3rd one. it snaps off clean and so far i have not been able to piece together a fix . pretty disappointed as a brass stem would have been a simple component from the Chinese factory 🙄

• HU-734435947
    8 months ago

Broke the oven peg/split shaft on my RCS30 Gas Range knob won't go back on so cannot use my oven, does the entire oven thermostat need to be replaced or can the peg shaft be replace on it's own? If I need to replace the entire thermostat can someone provide me the parts numbers so I get the correct one for my unit? Model RCS30-IR Serial Number 1311101. Thanks

• angelapapineau
    3 months ago

HU-734435947 our oven peg to our oven just snapped as well. Did you find out how to fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Foo Dlover
    3 months ago

@angelapapineau, see what Andy Chou did a few comments above yours and what alexrander did near the top of the comments.

• my_four_sons
    3 months ago

After mine broke for the third time i replaced the whole oven. so annoying to spend that kind of money on something and have to replace it a frw years later.