Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing a burner knob shaft on a Bluestar

Posted by ctycdm (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 11:47

Has anyone had to replace a shaft that holds the knob on?
The split shaft broke in half, and knob won't stay on. Just wondering how hard of a fix is this? Assuming I can get the replacement part from Bluestar...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing a burner knob shaft on a Bluestar

hmmm...i'm not sure how to go about doing that. here's a parts list online that I found a while back. http://www.guaranteedparts.com/picture_library/BlueStar/Parts identification for Ranges and Cooktops.pdf

take a look and see if that part is listed. if not, definately call them and explain the situation.

o

how did it break, btw?

o

Thanks for the link gtadross! I contacted my dealer, and Bluestar is sending the part to me. It is the griddle control knob, which looks to be part of the thermostat. Hope the replacement doesn't require dismantling the whole stove...

o

No problem.

Is it for the griddle or just a knob for a burner? Keep us posted as to how to repair. Thanks.

o

"how did it break, btw?"
...Oh, that would be my doing :0 The griddle knob felt kind of "loose" compared to the others, and wiggled and could be pulled off very easily. The split shaft compresses as you insert the knob on it, providing tension to hold it on. So brilliant me, I decide to spread the two prongs (I think they are aluminum) a bit to provide more tension, well that helped but still not a quite as tight as the others, so I spread them a bit more, and then couldn't fit the knob back on it, so I then compressed the prongs back together ever so slightly, and snap :(...

moral.... if it's not broken, don't fix it

o

Well good news, I just took the front of the control panel off (7 sheet metal screws) and the thermostat is held in by the two small screws on either side of the shaft. It should be easy to remove and replace:)...and then leave well enough alone;)

o

This happened to me on my oven control knob. When I first got my range, the guy who delivered it did what you did and a few years later it broke.

I ordered a new thermostat, but never installed it. Why? Well I fixed the old one. (which took a bit of thinking)

Let's see if I can remember.... I got a piece of brass tubing from the hardware store, with the inner diameter about the right size to slip over the remaining broken nub.

I cut off a small section of the brass tubing, maybe 5/8 of an inch- approximately.... I hit one end of it with a hammer to shape it to 'better' fit over the broken nub.

That is, the little brass tube was slightly flattened on one end to resemble a "D" shape. I slid it over the broken end.- to be epoxied later....

So now I had a short brass tube sticking out on which to attach the knob... hmm. I noticed that the brass tube was now larger in diameter than "D" hole in the original plastic sleeve inside the knob.

I also noticed that the plastic knob inserts to the burners had larger "D" holes as well.

So if I shaped the projecting end of the brass tube to a large "D" shape it might work on the larger knob insert. This side of the tube I used a saw and cut the brass down the middle.

And it worked. Except I was using a burner knob. So I had to enlarge the hole in the thermostat knob or get another plastic knob insert... anyway you get the idea, it was a lot of fussing... but it has continued to work well enough that I never installed the new thermostat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here