Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homecookaustin

French Door Fridge with High Volume Ice Maker

HomeCookAustin
10 years ago

I'm moving soon and looking to buy a large french door, bottom freezer fridge (like a 29 cu ft 36" wide).

Would live a built-in in a new house, but at 2-3 times the cost, have decided we can make do with a freestanding and set it back so it is flush with the cabinets.

The problem is we live in a hot climate and use our water dispenser on our current fridge, a Kenmore branded LG, several times a day. The ice maker on our current fridge is in the freezer drawer. This is nice in that the ice maker doesn't take up fridge space. You can put a larger ice pan in the freezer or transfer it out and make a lot of ice. This is great for cooking and our hot climate.

None of the current crop of fridges appear to offer this any more. Every one with a door water dispenser also has a door ice maker that takes up significant space inside the fridge portion. I also assume the production volume is low for door ice makers, and/or getting ice out of the bin is a pain.

Some fridges have dual ice makers. Those might work, but again, we lose space. Although not having to bend over to fill a glass would be nice.

Any ideas? I want to avoid having to buy a dedicated ice machine. I think those might be more trouble than they are worth. But I am willing to do it if that's the right way to go.

Thanks!

Comments (2)