Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californiagirl_gw

Built-in outdoor gas grill recommendations

californiagirl
15 years ago

This forum is my platinum guide to all things appliance, so even though this is for an outdoor appliance I am hoping to get some guidance here.

My husband wants to have a built-in, plumbed gas grill installed against the wall of our new addition. Where can I find reviews for him of these and what should we be looking for? Some of the ones I see are made by familiar manufacturers who also make indoor ranges but others seem to be from dedicated makers of outdoor appliances only.

Comments (7)

• gatorguy
    15 years ago

I dont think you will find side by side comparisons/reviews if you are looking for high end grills. You can search GW for grill discussions. What sort of price range are you looking at?
    We have a firemagic that I have been very happy with. Other grills which people have written good things about include lynx, weber, and alfresco.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

We asked many of our friends what gas grill they have & like best. The overwhelming answer: DCS. We checked out many grills & went with DCS too. It has a patented smoker chip box that DH really likes.

• geobrick
    15 years ago

I've been looking at the built-in Firemagic and Lynx grills and while I like a lot the Firemagic from a technical point of view, I can't get over the 2" wide stainless steel band around the edge to support the grill on the counter top. It seems this should be hidden under the counter top (granite, tile, etc) but all the pictures and displays I've seen show it sitting on top. What were they thinking? Why would anyone want that 2" band around the grill? It would look horrible sitting on a nice counter top. The Lynx and others have a much nicer way to seat the grill on a built in base.

Am I being too picky?

• gatorguy
    15 years ago

The Firemagic grill doesn't sit on top of the countertop, unless you dont get the insulating jacket. Nevertheless, I think it looks fine. The main reason I went with this grill over the lynx was that the sear zone on the lynx takes up 1/2 of the grilling surface vs 1/3 for the Firemagic, and I wanted more flexibility for cooking. I'm not sure if this pic will come out, its my 1st time trying it.
    [IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/fdxf1x.jpg[/IMG]

• scrapula
    15 years ago

We have a built in Viking grill. After looking at the usual suspects (Lynx, Alfresco, DCS, Firemagic) it came down to the Viking and the Alfresco. We ended up with the Viking because we got a great deal on a floor model that included the Viking grill, fridge, warming drawer and two gas burners, granite and stone.

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great pic, scrapula. I'll show it to DH, who's having a heard time visualizing what it will look like.

Since this outdoor grill is part of a whole kitchen and multiple bath addition we will be ordering many new appliances. It occurs to me that I ought to be asking which of the companies mentioned maintain UMRP. I'm trying to avoid putting too many of them on our purchase list in hopes of getting better a better overall price.

Does anybody know which grill makers use UMRP?

• sportsrx
    11 years ago

Bump.....getting ready for spring/summer 2013....building a bbq/ kitchen island, looking at the usual high end suspects for 48"+. Dcs, wolf, lynx, firemagic etc....i think if $$ was no object fire magic is the best of the best (from what ive read). But its nearly double the price of the DCS which seems to get consistently great reviews...its one thing to spend $4k for a great grill but 6-7k?? Welcome all input & feedback