Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

Does anyone have an induction cooktop that does NOT buzz or click

smaloney
11 years ago

I am trying to pull the trigger on a modest remodel of a small galley kitchen. I am considering switching from a gas range to an induction cooktop (plus wall oven) because it would vastly improve the layout. (Right now the range and sink are on a single interior wall, separated only by the dishwasher.) I'm not a great cook and anything is going to look nicer than what I currently have, so it shouldn't be a tough decision. And for a narrow kitchen with a lot of traffic, induction just seems safer. But I do worry about some of the complaints, particularly the noise issue - which has come up here several times recently. Persistent buzzing when cooking would drive me bonkers. I'm just wondering if this is unavoidable, or if there are induction users who've never experienced this. Fwiw, I'm strictly lower end in terms of prices and options - I'm hoping to find a Bosch cooktop based on reviews here, but may wind up with something like a Kitchenaid or Kenmore.

Comments (35)

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

We just installed a 30" Bosch induction cooktop and haven't had a problem with noise. There is a slight "hum", but no buzzing.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

I think the buzzing / humming or whatever is characteristic of induction, rather than any particular brand. It does seem to vary some with the sort of pots & pans you're using.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

At full power, the boiling of the water is louder than the buzzing of the pot.

For me, the issue is pan-related, and usually the sound goes away as the pan heats up or is filled with food.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

We've had the Electrolux Icon Induction cooktop for several years now. We use Emeril ware, A circulon pan and a "Caphalon pan" (as I recall)--no name on it but it came free with the cook top.

None of these make any noise, whatsover, ie not clicking, no humming, and no buzzing in the several years we have used it now.

Need proof????

Watch the video I made of cooking breakfast with the icon.
    (Click the "helpful Link" below

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Coooking Breakfast with Elux Icon Induction

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Sorry bout that, I sent the wrong link, but You enjoyed the cars, didn't ya?

Here's the correct link!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking breakfast on an Elux Icon Induction cook top

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

we have the miele 36". i agree with everyone. le creuset pots are virtually quiet as with cast iron. i also use all-clad and they do "buzz" when first turned on, but when they heat up and have food in them they are quiet. also, when you turn on your exhaust fan, you will not hear any buzzing.

the sounds of cooking override any sound the pots/pans will make from the induction.

my advice - go for it. induction is awesome and i would never go back to gas or electric.

HTH

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I just installed a Wolf - the first pans buzzed a lot - but also figured out better when they get warmer.
    I really wanted induction - but the jury is still out. I think it will be fine in the long run.

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

smaloney: "But I do worry about some of the complaints, particularly the noise issue - which has come up here several times recently. Persistent buzzing when cooking would drive me bonkers."

We have used an induction cooktop in our home for a dozen years. The "buzzing" matter is related to excited resonances within the pot or pan, period. It is not a brand issue so much as a specific piece issue. We have a few Demeyere Apollo pots and pans, of which one whistles (I would call it a whistle more than I would call it a buzz) under certain circumstances -- basically with that pot, it relates to the level of liquid inside the pot. With other Demeyere Apollo pots, with stainless pots of other brands that have similar aluminum disk-bottom construction, with clad pots and pans, with cast iron, and with that specific pot filled to a different level, there is no whistling/buzzing.

All induction cooktops incorporate cooling fans that blow air over the electronics under the cooktop when the electronics are in operation. You will hear some cooling fan noise -- if you are listening for it -- with every induction cooktop. We find the sound of the cooling fan insignificant and unobjectionable; your mileage may vary.

If you are looking for a good and not-too-expensive induction cooktop, we (on the basis of -- so far -- more than four years' use) can attest that the LG LCE30845 is a good option.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

We use All Clad on our GE induction range, plus an OXO tea kettle and a wok. The only time I notice the humming is when it's extremely quiet in the kitchen, like just making tea. If i'm doing prep, or the tv is on, or if stuff is bubbling away it doesn't even register.

It could very well be pan related. My guess would be solid materials like cast iron, or the wok we have, probably hum less than layered materials. If that's the only thing holding you back, don't give it another though, just go for it! We are so glad we did, even though we do not know anyone that has one.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

ll induction cooktops incorporate cooling fans that blow air over the electronics under the cooktop when the electronics are in operation. You will hear some cooling fan noise -- if you are listening for it -- with every induction cooktop.

"Every Induction cooktop"??????

Watch and listen to the video I put up, whilst I won't brag about my hearing, I can hear fan noises, and I sure don't hear any with the Icon cooktop, Note I even whispered during the video so you can get an idea of the sensitivity of the mic on the video cam , I used, and NOOOO I didn't whisper right into the Mic on the camera!

Gary

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    11 years ago

I have a Kenmore and very rarely hear buzzing. Overall, I am very pleased with it and I am sure you will be too!

• kaseki
    11 years ago

I have the Kenmore clone of the Elux Icon (2007). It does have fans that turn on when the guts have reached some temperature, and the fan speeds appear to vary with the cooking power being consumed. However, it is difficult to hear them unless one has very quiet cooking in progress (without hood noise) or if one abruptly shuts down the hobs (and cooking noise) and listens. Then they can be heard for the number of seconds it takes for them to cool the guts and shut down. These are very quiet fans.

I recently bought and installed deliberately quieted rack fans that are normally used to keep rack-style media centers cool without disturbing the entertainment. I use them to cool my networking components in a basement relay rack. The Kenmore/Elux fans are far quieter. They are quieter than a SubZero 632, or a well sealed, well insulated Miele Optima dishwasher (except for its alarm).

kas

• wallycat
    11 years ago

We got the 500 series Bosch 30" and I typically use Le Creuset or cast iron. Zero buzzing.
    I have an induction suitable moka pot which is small and even on the smallest burner, leaves a lot of room. No issue with the response to the moka pot and zero buzzing.
    I have used a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker...zero buzzing.
    I have a sitram cybernox fry pan; zero buzzing. I have also used a saucier pan from All-clad; zero buzzing.
    I have tried using the le creuset tea kettle (thin metal that is enamel clad) and it has a faint buzz, but I typically use my electric kettle for boiling water for tea, coffee, etc.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

Noise from induction cooktops are almost always from the type of pan being used not from the cooktop itself. Thin pans seem to buzz the most almost acting like a reed.
    I use a Ittalia pan to check customers cooktops for performance and noise level comparisons against their pots.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

...these noises may vary with one's hearing acuity, as well.

• smaloney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for all this feedback (and the video!) It really helps!

• KAC42
    10 years ago

I'm wondering whether smaloney made a choice on induction and whether the result was satisfactory. I am currently in the process of returning a Kitchen Aid freestanding induction range because the constant clicking noise at low temperatures can be heard in neighboring rooms and even upstairs. Very disappointed. Would love to replace it with another freestanding induction range, but wondering whether quietness only comes with the drop-in cooktops.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

As far as I know, only KA clicks. Frigidaire and Whirlpool are related to KA, so they might click, too.

Samsung makes an affordable induction range.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Well, actually, Frigidaire is part of Electrolux not Whirlpool. There is a Frigidaire free-standing induction range which is somewhat like the Electrolux and Kenmore versions. Whirlpool makes the Kitchenaid and Maytag branded induction equipment and, AFAIK, supplies the induction cooktops that are sold under the IKEA brand in North America.

To see what models are available, I suggest going to the AJ Madison site, slecting electric cooktops or ranges and checking the induction box in the left hand column.

I saw a demo last year of the Samsung NE597NOPBSR and did not hear any clicking or buzzing from the stove top. But, I was not close to the stove and the room was noisy. If you search here, you can find discussions of the Samsung induction ranges. Try googling Samsung + induction + gardenweb" as your search string. For other brands, just subsitute the brand-name and see what turns up.

A couple of years ago, I saw an up-close demo of the GE free-standing induction range (PHB925). They were using (I think) Viking pans. Slight humming at start-up with empty pans but no buzzing or clicking. In normal use, the humming would be masked by other kitchen sounds including cooking as Herring_Maven says..

I've been using induction off and on going back three decades, and rarely heard buzzing and never noticed any clicking. I've also had a Max Burton portable unit for a year. It clicks at low temps, buzzes with some pans as they heat-up and with other pans going to high heat produces both a ringing sound and the whistling noises that herring_maven described. There is a thread here last fall or winter which links to a video showing similar behavior with a KitchenAid induction cooktop. (Sorry, can't find it right now but maybe Ginny can get you the link as I believe she was one of the participants in the GW thread with the link.)

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 11:45

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Thanks for the correction, JWvideo, I was confused. I think Frigidaire makes an affordable induction range, too. If it works like an Elux, it should be quiet.

I wonder if the Ikeas click, too.

Oh, that poor man on youtube! His KA cooktop is much noisier than mine, but as has been said repeatedly, the buzzing is probably due to his cookware. The clicking, though, is due to KA technology. Here's the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gawdawful racket

• wordie89
    10 years ago

I have a36 Bosch and have been using it for about 5 months. There is some low humming but so little that i don't notice it. Earlier this week i heard some noise and thought, "so this is what they're talking about! " but no, it was water on the bottom of the pot sizzling. Love it. Fine Heat control and sleek. Since i have copper clad and all clad pots and pans i can't use I've resorted to les creuset and a couple new s/s oster pots. They work well so far.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I am sensitive to buzzing noises and watched a you tube video by a GW user who claimed no buzzing- and I could hear the buzzing.

That being said- gas makes noise also.

I am very happy with my induction choice.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

That was me, well at least wife, 3 cats, and me can't hear it, buttt
    "Your hearing may vary"!!, LOL

Gary

• wordie89
    10 years ago

Since this thread I've been paying attention to the noise. I think I hear more when it's on low setting but it's less than the fridge humming. I feel it's less noisy than my GE class cooktop as that fan kicked on immediately.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Dodge - LOL - I knew who it was but didn't want to "bust" you on-line..

Some claim the thermador is quiet but based on experience, I would want to hear with my ears..

Remember - gas makes noise also - and with the fan running, it isn't bad. I love cooking on it - so the benefits outweigh the noises :-)

• whc23863
    10 years ago

We have this issue with Jenn-Air and All-Clad. While boiling a pot of water the buzzing was very loud. When we turned off the overhead lights in the kitchen, though, the buzzing was significantly reduced.

Obviously some interference between the cooktop and the wiring and/or switches.

When we find a solution I will update this. In the meantime, if you have a solution...

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Whc- you might be on to something. I think I noticed this as well

• cpatricks
    7 years ago

We have our first induction cooktop, a Wolf, after cooking exclusively on gas. the cooktop does not make the very annoying noise, but certain pans do. We have only Le Creuset and All Clad, both of which we were told were recommended for induction cooktops. No sound from the Le Creuset, but certain All Clad pans seem to be worse than others. In our experience the frying pans are the worst. Heavier pots and saucepans not as much. And, for whatever reason, one particular non stick pan was the worst of all, so we stopped using it because it was THAT ANNOYING.

• okiebirdnerd
    7 years ago

Do you remember who the maker of your non-stick pan that made all of the noise Is? I would like to buy a non stick pan.

Thank you, Terri

• Julie Morgan
    6 years ago

We have a GE induction cook top. Ours clicks a far amount. It is very annoying. After reading the above comments, I may try other cookware but that can get very pricey. Thanks for the comments, they have helped me realize it isn't just ours!

• emho23
    4 years ago

Dredging up this old thread. whc23863 , if you are still around, did you ever figure out the buzzing on your Jenn-Air induction range? Six years later we are having a very similar problem with our brand new Jenn-Air. Thanks.

• j0gwithme
    2 years ago

dont buy frigidaire the noise is awful. fan running constantly

• Sarah E Murray
    last year

I just bought a Frigidaire Professional induction stovetop, and I wish I had read this thread before buying. When I turn a burner on, the fan goes on and makes a horrible high pitched whining sound that makes me want to jump out of my skin. It is very penetrating and cuts through the fan noise of my hood. I cannot imagine wanting to cook on this and that's sad, because I live in my ktichen and was a professional cook for 20 years. There would be no pleasure in standing over a pan on this stovetop.

• kaseki
    last year

Frigidaire (Electrolux) must have made a design change that is, er, less than brilliant. My 2015 Gallery makes no noticeable noise even with the hood off.