Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can an OTR microwave be used on the counter?

Posted by Maine_Mare (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 11:25

I am completely out of funds after my kitchen reno and looking for a used convection microwave for my pantry. I found a GE Profile but it is an OTR and I need something to go on the counter.

Is it possible to use this on my counter? The location would be in the corner, under an upper cabinet so only one side wall would really be visible. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can an OTR microwave be used on the counter?

It'll work, but be sure to take the lightbulbs (meant for illumination of the cooking surface) out from underneath it before you put it in service. The bulbs are commonly halogen and they get very hot, hot enough to burn the counter underneath the device. The problem is these lights can be accidentally turned on by someone unfamiliar with the controls of the unit but you may not even see that they are on with the microwave sitting on a flat surface, especially in daylight.

I found this out the hard way when my aged mother managed to turn the lights on with an old OTR MW we had replaced with a hood but kept in service on our countertop. The thing burned a hole in our old formica counters. Don't leave those bulbs in!

o

You can buy a countertop convection micro for about a hundred bucks at most big box stores. It will be smaller overall and work better for this kind of use. I'd just manage without while I saved up the money if I couldn't swing the hundred right now.

o

check and see if the bottom is flat. It may not be.

o

Thanks! I decided to pass as it wasn't a terribly cheap microwave and if I'm going to buy something that isn't really right for the space it should at least be cheap :)

Also, GE customer service felt it wasn't going to be good for the microwave to sit on the counter and block the vents.

Writersblock, your suggestion is exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here