Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Island Hood: Miele, Viking or ?

Posted by gothaml (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:22

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Appliances have been relatively easy for me to choose so far for our brownstone kitchen Reno, but I am stuck on the hood! We have an narrow L shaped kitchen with an induction cooktop in the island, this opens up to the dining area. So the hood ends up being a big visual part of that floor.

The cooktop is Miele and our architect likes to keep brands the same if possible, but I like the look of the 36" Viking island hood (the optional pot rail is so pretty *sigh*) also I like that the Viking has baffles instead of mesh screens. Or should I be looking at something else?!?

I am a little more clean lines traditional and our architect leans modern.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Island Hood: Miele, Viking or ?

I had a similar decision to make, as our range sits on the end of peninsula which faces the dining area. We previously had a downdraft, so I struggled with the thought of this big thing hanging from the ceiling becoming an obvious focal point. After building a plywood mock-up based on my basic style and design preferences, I narrowed it down to Modern-Aire and Prizer. Ended up with the Prizer, even though it was a bit more expensive, the fit and finish sold me. It really is beautiful. Oh, and Prizer had offered to add a pot rail at no charge, but I didn't want things hanging in my face above the work area.

o

Thank you, may I ask what style you went with? I agree with you on hanging things from the potrail, I just like the look, I feel like it is a nice accent on an otherwise simple item.

o

- Here is a pic of it the day I installed it. Cabinets weren't done yet, but you can see the style. It is beautifully made, seamless construction, with no sharp edges. Baffle filters, 3 speed 1000cfm remote blower on the roof with 8"duct. Two halogen lights on a low/high switch.

o

That is a beautiful hood! How easy is it to remove the baffles to clean them?

o

It is very easy to remove the baffles on mine. Holding the two handles, push slightly up towards the center rail, and the bottom edge comes out of the channel it sits in. Just the reverse to put them back in...

o

Wow, that is a great design!

o

How high above the range is your hood? We have a similar design and I'm trying not to block the view.

o

Bottom of hood is 36" above top of burner grates, which makes it 73" above finished floor.

o

I'm tall and my husband is 6'2" so we are going to mount whatever hood we get at 36" above the range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here