Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisamjones_gw

Please help us pick a slide in electric smooth-top range!

lisamjones
9 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and we are having such a hard time deciding on this! Bosch, Frigidaire, Electrolux, and Kitchenaid all seem to have good options for @ $2,000. I am a little worried about reviews that say some blow hot air since I don't like to feel hot when I cook, but maybe it is less of a big deal than I think? All models have reviewers that swear you should stay away forever from that model. Does anyone have one that they just love?

Comments (8)

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

I can only speak to the Bosch which I've had for about 8 months.

I'm happy with the oven, in particular the adjustability down to 100 deg. Yes I'm fairly well-versed in food safety, but sometimes you just need a big warming drawer. The 10-pass broiler is hot and even. The cooling fan does run a lot, but I don't find it offending in either noise or heat output.

Less enthused with the cooktop. While the wattage specs on the highest burner are good, you need cookware with approx 11.5" base to utilize it. Your standard 8qt tall stock pot only takes two rings and is therefore dreadfully slow to boil on any burner. On the other end of the spectrum the low is higher than I'm used to. The Schott Ceran is significantly more sensitive than my previous Frigidaire. I had chips within weeks of using it, more now, the silver pattern seems to clean off, and in general I find it poor quality.

The paint on the knobs peeled off at first cleaning; fortunately Bosch was aware of the problem and sent me a new set which has help up thus far.

Overall, there's a lot to like about the oven but enough to dislike about the cooktop to where I wouldn't recommend it. My #1 takeaway would be to look for a power burner that matches the diameter of your most used cookware, in my case a 12" skillet and 8qt tall stock pot.

• lisamjones
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Your lengthy feedback was so helpful! I think I am down to choosing between Samsung or Electrolux. With the Electrolux we have a deal that would bring the price down to @2000. It looks to me like every single convection oven has complaints about fan noise and heat blowing. It might just have to be something we deal with.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It sounds like you're confusing convection fans with cooling fans. The convection fan is inside the oven and may make a little bit of noise but has nothing to do with blowing hot air out the front. All wall ovens and slide in/drop in ranges with electronic controls have a cooling fan that may make some noise and blow hot air out the front. If you don't want that, get a freestanding range. Much cheaper too. Honestly though, the noise and heat isn't a big deal in my experience. Some people who are not used to it complain about it, but I haven't found it to be objectionable. I have a wall oven and a slide in range that both have cooling fans. I would have gotten freestanding to save $$$ but my kitchen is configured such that there is no room for the back control panel. I've been very happy with my GE slide in. You should take online reviews with a grain of salt, people will post everywhere they can as soon as they have a problem. If a model has barely any good reviews at all, and all the negative ones complain about similar problems, then you might want to stay away. But otherwise just buy based on features, price, looks, and local availability.

• wvugal
    9 years ago

We had a GE slide in smooth top range for 12 years prior to our kitchen remodel in January, and loved it. We never had any issues with it at all, and it was passed on to our son, who is very pleased with it. (We went with induction in the new kitchen.)

• lisamjones
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all -very helpful. Would love GE and I do get the sense that these have the least complaints but also a big increase in $$.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

For the 4 options you're considering, Bosch just redesigned their cooking products from the ground up so you aren't going to get many reviews on their new line. Frigidaire is made by Electrolux. KitchenAid is made by Whirlpool. It seems like Electrolux gets better reviews on cooking products than Whirlpool (but Whirlpool seems to get better reviews for pretty much every other appliance).

I'm surprised that you're finding Electrolux to be cheaper than GE... When I looked GE didn't seem significantly more expensive than the competition, and I got a stainless smooth top slide in range w/ convection from them for well under $2000.

• lisamjones
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know! I'll have to revisit the GE options. The only reason I was considering Electrolux was because of the option for a free dishwasher if we bought an Electrolux fridge and range, which brought the total price of all our appliances in line with our overall budget. Right now we are leaning toward Samsung, which we can get for $1300, highly rated by CR, a number of happy reviews, and, although there are complaints, as you said, it is hard to find a model where someone hasn't vented online about their terrible experience.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Alto , you may see "Good Samsung reviews", the one thing we keep seeing, (over and over), is "IF the Samsung breaks", service and "Particularly parts availability" in a "Timely Fashion" seem to be a problem, soooo~~~~~~

Do your homework before buying, can you get good service for it, and does the appliance repair company have the parts to fix it quickly?

This could save you a lotta aggravation later!

Gary