Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Canister vacuum recommendations?

13 years ago

Hi -- we need a new vac; our new dog is blowing her coat and I can't keep up with it by sweeping (I don't like our old vacs enough to want to use them more than a broom). I'm seeing a lot of recs for Miele, and CR has been recommending Kenmore for a long time, but I can't find a good comparison between the two brands. Any suggestions, not just those brands but others as well?

* Bagged canister preferred and needs to reach under furniture easily

* Replacement bags readily available and inexpensive (would like to get them at the grocery store; otherwise I am prone to get annoyed and go back to the broom)

* We have HW everywhere except a couple of area rugs (but they do need vacumming too)

* TONS of short pet hair, including on drapes

* People in house with allergies -- perhaps a HEPA filter?

* Convenient attachment changes so I can vacuum the drapes as I go

* Quiet operation (the noise is one reason I don't like my old vacuums)

* Long, retractable cord

* Lightweight is a plus

* Willing to spend up to, say, $350-400 for one that'll last a long time -- also very willing to buy a $50 one if it'll work well [grin]

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• 13 years ago

When my Hoover upright died I bought a Kenmore Progressive canister. I really like this vacuum and bought another one for my vacation home. It was the top rated canister when I bought it and has consistently been in the top for years.

It easily goes under furniture.

I buy the bags at Sears but Kmart might have them or or you can order online.

I have hardwood, porcelain tile, wall to wall carpet, area rugs and some very expensive Persian rugs with fringe. One feature to look for in any vacuum you buy is the ability to control the suction - in addition to adjusting the height. I can quickly turn a small ring on the handle and reduce suction and then vacuum my small area rugs and Orientals without fear of sucking them off the floor or pulling out threads.

Over the years we've had many dogs- German Shepherds from Germany who have a double coat, Laboradors and finally Rottweilers. It vacuum the dog hair better than the Hoover it replaced.

Another advantage of a canister is the ability to remove the power head and vacuum drapes and cobwebs on the ceiling. My Kenmore has 2 lights - one on the power head and a second light on the end of the wand which illuminates what you're vacuuming even when the power head is removed. I love that feature. I can remove the power head by just pressing on small pedal on the head with my foot. It's very quick and I can reattach the wand without bending. I often removed the power head to vacuum along the baseboards. There are also the usual tools stored on the back of the canister - crevice tool, brush, HW floor attachment and also a handy, small motorized brush head (a Power Mate JR.).

The cord is long. The vacuum is not lightweight - but I'm not sure what you consider heavy or light. I don't find it particularly noisy but again that's a individual preference.

I have tried Miele's. Even though there's a big difference in price I would buy one if it had everything I wanted. I'd suggest you actually try your vacuum before purchasing it. I even took one of my small Persian rugs to the store and tried a couple of vacuums on it to make sure I could safely vacuum. The biggest issue I had with the Miele was that it was difficult to maneuver and I could feel pressure in my wrist and hand when I turned it. I even tried another one just to make sure. I don't remember the model name but it was their most expensive. It also didn't have two lights or the suction control on the handle. This was 5 years ago so that may have changed.

But the best advice is to try several out before buying to see what works for you. Try maneuvering one, see if it lays flat enough and then try carrying it around to check the weight.

• 13 years ago

I'm a big fan of Hoover bagged canister vacs. I have 3 of them...upstairs, downstairs, and at our summer place. And an old one that is used in the garage (yes, it will pick up small rocks and screws). They're various generations so I can't give you a specific model number. They come with a bunch of attachments and brushes, a HEPA filter, and long cords. I wouldn't call them quiet though. I don't have pet hair but they're great at picking up bird food and feathers.

• 13 years ago

Thank you both!

• 13 years ago

I have the progressive canister too and it is a workhorse. I've had for probably 5 years. And my maid service uses a similar model to clean houses so it must be able to take heavy use! My biggest complaint about it is that the attachment with the power vacuum head (for most uses) can't stand up on its own. It flops over with a big crash if try. Perhaps they fixed that. I like the upolstery attachment especially for cleaning carpeted stairs.

• 12 years ago

I bought a Simplicity(sister company to Riccar) "Jill" a 3 or 4 years ago and it has been great--only about $140. It is assembled in St. James Mo. Parts as with most others including at least some Mieles are made elsewhere. . We have kitties and hardwood floors. I get my bags on Amazon. A lot of people do like Miele as well but it is a lot more money.