Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range Hood Exterior Vent - Wall vs Roof

Posted by Takkone (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 11:06

I am installing a new range with a canopy style hood against an exterior wall. Along the exterior wall there is a large deck, the decking level with the interior floors of the house (same height). I can either vent the hood straight out through the wall or up through the roof. What are the pros and cons?

I'm thinking out the wall would create a blast of smells from cooking inside that might not work well because that area is often used for gathering/sitting. Venting through the roof would still force the air to shoot down towards the deck. I'm concerned about that down air "blasting" into the gutters (only 8' from the decking) and emptying out leaves and debris onto people sitting out on the deck.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range Hood Exterior Vent - Wall vs Roof

Dumping the effluent onto the deck would be out of the question, in my view. At the roof, instead of a radial fan in a housing blowing air down the roof to the deck, use an "upblast" fan housing with compatible fan. Broan may still make such a unit (NuTone did) or search on the web. Even Greenheck may make one small enough.

The upblast housing roof interface will have to be the correct pitch for the roof, and, if snow builds up very high in that location, high enough to keep the top out of the snow.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here