Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Location of lights in the Hood - at the Back or Front?

Posted by fatlady (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 10:54

The Delonghi hood we are considering purchasing has 2 40 watt halogen lamps, but they are located at the back (against the wall, on the wall mounted, chimney-style hood).

Is that a problem? It seems to me that they should be at the front of the hood for best illumination. Has anyone had a problem with rear mounted lights on their hood??

I suppose this might help with the problem mentioned earlier that the halogens can also cook the top of your head!

(This is a followup to my earlier post about best lighting in the hood. Thanks to all who responded. Very helpful!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Location of lights in the Hood - at the Back or Front?

Great questions, thanks for posting! I can't wait to see the feedback.

o

The lighting should def be toward the front. If the lighting is toward the back, it's mostly lighting the backsplash. There are so many good hoods on the market, bypass this one and get one with lighting toward the front. I actually didn't know DeLonghi made hoods - not a good sign. Buy from a manufacturer well known for its hoods. There are a ton of threads on this forum which recommend hoods.

o

My lights are at the front, and angle down/back at about 60*, providing very good lighting of the cooking area. Located in the back, they would need to point forward, which I think would be glaring, and bothersome to the cook.

o

Me too. Lights in front light up cooktop.

o

In my opinion, the lights should be in the back. The front burners will receive some light from the overall room lights, it's the rear burners that will be overshadowed by the range hood.

The "Rolls-Royce" of range hoods - Miele - has lights on the back on almost all of their models. Other European manufacturers, like Gaggenau and Futuro Futuro, also usually have lights on the back of their range hoods, or in the front but angled to the rear so they light up the entire cooking surface (see example via link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Concorde wall hood with angled lights

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here