Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What features to shop for in an induction cooktop

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 10:39

I'm going shopping in a couple of days for my induction cooktop. I want a 36" cooktop. But other than that what are the features I should evaluate in making the decision?

Such as timers, placement of the hobs, size of hobs, framed vs. unframed, style, placement of the controls, etc.

What's new in 2013 that I might want to look at? If I am armed with a list of things to look for I feel confident I can make a decision fairly quickly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What features to shop for in an induction cooktop

"Such as timers, placement of the hobs, size of hobs, framed vs. unframed, style, placement of the controls, etc.""

If a cooktop, look at its overall height. That could affect storage under the counter top.

Look at overall brand reliability. Consumer Reports publishes this when they do an appliances review, data gathered from subscribers' surveyed.

Another thing to consider is something like Bosch's "Pot Sense" where you can put a smaller pot on a much larger hob, and it will work. Not all large hobs do that on all brands.

This post was edited by Cavimum on Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:06

o
RE: What features to shop for in an induction cooktop

I have a Bosch 800 which I absolutely love. Pot sense is a great feature. Read reviews, there are some induction units that really make a racket in the kitchen, our Bosch does not. You hear an ever so slight hum when the boost feature is used if no one else is around.

One feature that was a must have when I shopped was having all power levels available at the push of a single control. I did not want to have to slide my finger up and down or to push a button multiple times. If I want a power level of 7, I want to push the power level 7 button.

A feature I love on my unit is the auto shut off timer. When I cook rice or whatever, I can either set the timer and it will beep at me, or I set the shut off timer and it beeps and shuts the hob off- love that feature!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here