Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodge59

Jenn-air Fridge, survives CAlif winds, heat & dust!

dodge59
9 years ago

We have had (What we Californians call "Santa Ana Winds)" for most of this week, (last of April & first of May, 2014).

The temperatures got into the high 90's (98F etc). We had very strong winds and a lotta fine dust, (alto not as bad as the "Dust Bowl"), but still lotsa dust in the house and on my 3 convertibles.

I went to the fridge to get some cold water. I looked at the temp displays inside the fridge, The fridge showed 38F (should be 37F) but~~~~~ the freezer showed 10F, (should have been "0" F).

Now those of you with double compressors , had you seen this, You "might have started transporting food in the fridge to the backup fridge" or maybe try to talk your neighbor into "borrowing some space in their fridge".

Well I don't have a backup fridge (don't want to spend the money with the electric company to run two fridges)!

I decided to check the condenser for dust, (easy to do with the JA), you just lift off the cover at the top of the fridge and there sits the condenser. As I suspected, it was "Covered with dust"! I took the small vacuum cleaner and cleaned it, also cleaned the condenser in the Elux wine fridge.

I checks the fridge temps about an hour later. We did not have the AC on and it was about 83 inside the house.
Well now the fridge showed 38 for the fridge but 11F for the freezer, Oh ---OH! Still plenty of room between 32F and 11F, so no danger of stuff thawing out in the freezer,so I just left things alone (thinking freezer would cool down once house cooled down).

Now "fast forward to this Morning" (May 2, 2014).
I checked the fridges digital readout of the fridge and freezer temps. Fridge still says 38 but the freezer now says "14F", Oh--OHH!!!, is my JA gonna need its first service call in 8 years?~~~~~~~NOPE!!!!!!

I figured that the vacuum probably only cleaned the very front portion of the condenser coils, ~~soooo!!!!~~~I got out my can of CRC Duster, and sprayed the "Heck outta the condenser"!!!!!

Now "fast forward" again to about 2 hours later.
I checks the display readouts for the fridge & freezer.
Fridge back at good old 37F, and freezer at "0"F.
YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!

So the reason for this post is "two fold"

First, before "Panicking", when you see a "higher than normal" temp in either your freezer or fridge, go buy a can of CRC Duster, (or similar product) and spray the heck outta the condenser. It could save you transporting food as well as a service call!!!!

Secondly, The above "scenario" is why I am a BIG FAN, of the single compressor system. The way this cooling system works, is it "Borrows" cold from the freezer compartment, to keep the fridge temp (close to set limit "37F). Even though the condenser could not keep the freezer at "0" F, (due to the dust), it was still able to keep the fridge within 1 degree F of (set temp), and still keep the freezer well below freezing (32F).

With a dual compressor system, the fridge would have "Quickly lost its cool" and the food would have had to been transported, (assuming the dirty condenser was on the fridge side).

So I had "Plenty of time" to sort out the problem without "Panicking", and I did NOT have to refrain from accessing the fridge~~~so it would "Keep its COOL"!!!

Now we know some folks are fans of the dual compressor systems as they don't want the air "Mixing" between the fridge & freezer compartments~~~but I must admit, in my 72 years here on "Terra Firma", I've never encountered "Off taste" things that was cause by the Mixing of the air in the 2 compartments, IE ice cubes that taste like onions (or whatever)~~~to me, the efficiency of a single compressor system, the simplicity of same, as well as having more time to solve a problem (Like the one) I just posted, FAR Outweigh, (at least for me), any possible benefits of a dual compressor system!

Gary

Comments (4)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great post, Gary. Really helpful. I had heard CA had early SA winds.

Two questions:
    a. Did you mean condenser coils at front 'bottom' instead of 'top"? I vacuumed mine the other week, at least I think they were those at bottom of my JA.

b. JA recommends 38 for my fridge setting but with a mercury thermometer (scientific, encased) it registers 42degrees. So I've lowered both freezer and fridge temps, but not a dramatic drop. Is there a bottom setting I can't go past, that might explain why I see no difference.

I'm going to get a JA appliance person to come and help out. It's a JA 2013 french door.

Hope those winds die down soon and thankful you all had some much needed rain before hand.

• dodge59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a 48" built in and paneled JA. All the "works" compressor, control board, condenser are at the top of the fridge. There is a removable panel near the very top of the fridge, and it has a chain so you don't hafta hold onto the thing. You just "lift up" on that top panel and let it hang.

I do like the "works" on top, as it would make the fridge easy to service should it ever need any, plus we have 3 cats, and the condenser on the JA, does not get full of "Cat fur", like our Elux wine fridge does, (Its works are on the bottom), apparently like your JA?

I would get a can of the duster stuff I mentioned and spray the condenser then recheck the temps. Also check that all the door seals appear to be in their proper place.

I suspects your JA is also a single Variable Speed Compressor as mine is.

To better diagnose the problem, it would be helpful to know the freezer temp too.

The way these VSC (variable speed compressor),work is that a sensor in the freezer compartment senses the temp there, and if the freezer is above set temp, then it speeds up the compressor. On the other hand, if sensors in the fridge section detect that the temp is above the fridge set temp. then it increases the circulation between the freezer and the fridge, by increasing the speed of the circulating fan or opening up a flap lever between the 2 compartments, or both,

So to know whether the problem is compressor/condenser related, or a problem with circulation between freezer and fridge, we need to know the freezer temp.

HTH's

Gary

• jakvis
    9 years ago

Gary, If you have a shop vac you could first vacuum as much as possible then switch the hose to the blower side of the vacuum and blow the rest of the dust out. Before blowing though you want to cover the condenser area with a slightly damp towel to capture most of the dusts and lint that is goint to be blown out.

BTW - it is recommended to clean the condenser at least once a year.

• dodge59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that jakvis!

I find that I can do a "Semi tornado" job on the condenser with that "canned air", but you are correct, I did create a lotta dust, even after first vacuuming the condenser.

"To Me", a small "Dust Storm" is a small price to pay to having a working fridge again and at no cost to me, except the "Bump on Me head", wife gave me for getting her granite dusty~~~Ohhh Well!!!!

Gary