Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ihdecosta_gw

Lacanche-- Sully or Citeaux?

ihdecosta
11 years ago

(I've also posted this in Lacanche Ranges 42)

Ok, all, I'm plunging in.

We are about to embark on a major kitchen remodel, including an extension so I can finally get enough space to work when we have the whole family here. I cook for either 2-3 or 10-20 on a regular basis. When the family is gathered, there are often 3-4 cooks, including my daughter-in-law, baker extraordinaire.

I've looked at most of what's out there. Can't stand the looks of the "professional-industrial" class like Wolf. I have lived with an Aga cooker in England and loved it, but it doesn't make sense resale-wise for where I live (Chicago area) in a house that I know I won't stay in forever. Same for La Cornue (wouldn't spend that money for a not forever house). Looked at Ilve, but didn't think it was built well enough for the price.

So Lacanche it seems to be-- has everything I want, and is beautiful as well.

My question is, Sully or Citeaux? I love the idea of a warming oven and a convection as well as a large gas oven. My concern is that the vertical oven/warming cupboards of the Citeaux are too small to be really useful when I am cooking for the family (the 10-20 scenario, which happens at least twice a month)

Sully, on the other hand, has two reasonably sized ovens, but no warming cupboard.

I can't go above 60", so the Sully 1800 and 2200 are out.

I've read all the comments I can find, and some people love the small ovens, and others chose against them.

Also, I haven't yet seen any Lacanche, and my kitchen designer doesn't know them, so I can't tell if they are as well built as they should be for the price. (i.e. no loose doors)

And the usual concerns about repairs-- how do people handle this if there is no dealer in the area?

Any help at all is appreciated!!!

Thanks very much

Comments (10)

• philwojo
    11 years ago

ihdecosta, I can't help with your questions, but I also live in the Chicago area and I was curious who you are using for your remodel, feel free to send me an email with that info or post it here, your choice. To send me the email click on my name or mypage link to get to that info.

thanks,
    Phil

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I don't have a Lacanche though I have several friends who do and they love their ranges.

One aspect of having a Lacanche appears to be unusually fine service and support from the folks at French Ranges, the Lacanche dealer.

I'd call and discuss all this with them. And I know in the past they have arranged for folks to see ranges locally.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Here is a link that might be useful: French Ranges

• finestra
    11 years ago

I got the Sully. The ovens fit my cookie sheets and my roaster. I had a warming drawer in my old set up and never used it. People who like a warming drawer, swear by them though. The Sully is extremely well made and solid, like 600lb solid. The doors are heavy, the knobs are substantial. There is nothing tinny about the thing. We live close to NYC, so I went in and viewed it with my pan in hand. Elisa is very, very helpful and accommodating. Mine has one gas and one electric convection. FYI, shipping is a substantial cost for these.

• ihdecosta
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone
    I have spoken with Victoria and she is extraordinarily helpful, and has reassured me about service. I have also spoken to Elisa, and she is arranging for me to see an actual Lacanche in my area. So even though I have not yet become an owner, I can attest to the amazing service and care given by the people at Art Culinaire.
    chris11895-- those are exactly the popover pans I have-- and I use them frequently. They were going to be one of my test pieces for oven size! You've saved me some trouble.
    I'm still on the fence between the two-- I also find the warming cupboard very appealing, but my daughter-in-law is, like I said, a baker extraordinaire, and may want larger ovens for multiple cookie trays and pies-- but we'll see.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

I've been cooking with my Sully since Thanksgiving and love it. The ovens still seem a bit small compared to my former wall ovens though. It comes with a lot of extra stuff, does anyone know what that black crown looking thing is for? I worked with Victoria and am amazed at the wonderful service both before and after the purchase. Good luck with your decision, and don't forget to post photos. I swear, anticipating the arrival of a Lacanche is like waiting for your first child to be born. Maybe better.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

I've been cooking with my Sully since Thanksgiving and love it. The ovens still seem a bit small compared to my former wall ovens though. It comes with a lot of extra stuff, does anyone know what that black crown looking thing is for? I worked with Victoria and am amazed at the wonderful service both before and after the purchase. Good luck with your decision, and don't forget to post photos. I swear, anticipating the arrival of a Lacanche is like waiting for your first child to be born. Maybe better.

• finestra
    11 years ago

Is the black crown looking thing a wok ring?

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

Is that it? oops, I've been woking directly on the big center burner. I really need to read the booklet.

• LauraFaye
    9 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious if you went with a Lacanche in the end, and if so which you chose? I'm curious about the vertical Citeaux oven :)