Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alerievay1

Big Chill Pro Style (manufactured by BlueStar)

alerievay1
9 years ago

This is a brand new range that seems to combine some of the RNB features (custom color, higher BTU burner, convection fan) at a price similar to the RCS ($2395).

If I'm interested in a stove with a color finish, is there any reason to consider the RNB over this one, especially with the price difference? Am I missing anything obvious on the specs?

I'll add that 18k BTU is definitely adequate for my needs, and I am fine with sealed burners. I also will likely do all-gas. (Am still examining induction, but that's subject to an electrician visit.)

Big Chill specs (last page of PDF): http://bigchill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/big-chill-specs1.pdf
RNB: http://bluestarcooking.com/images/pdfs/bluestar_rnb_30.pdf
RCS: http://bluestarcooking.com/images/pdfs/bluestar_rcs_30.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Chill specs

Comments (28)

• jwvideo
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

As you have already noted, the big difference between the BC stoves and BS ranges is that the BC stoves have sealed burner tops rather than the open "Nova" burners on the BS ranges that are important to many of the Blue-Star owning posters here. Near as anybody has been able to tell from past threads, the oven in the BC models has been the same as in the BS RCS models.

Interestingly, when I followed your link, I saw that BC has added a new range. What they have been selling for $4500 "Big Chill Range" was a retro-50's styled range with rounded endges and is completely painted in gorgeous or gaudy (YMMV) colors. Now, there is the new "Big Chill Pro Stove" which looks like an RCS with a set of 18k-BTU sealed burners, stainless on the cooktop and control panel but a painted oven door, sides and kick panel. The web site says it "starts" at $2395 but they apparently charge about $400 for curbside delivery/shipping.

So, it isn't really competition for the RNB models but -- except for the the shipping charges --- it could have been the first competitor in the "low end pro-style sealed-burner" market niche that NXR created, particularly if you want a painted stove rather than bare stainless.

Didn't see who would handle the warranty service if you needed it.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Mon, May 19, 14 at 14:59

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Pro Style is the one I'm interested in; I don't care for their overly retro designs. I actually didn't realize BlueStar manufactured all their stoves, but it makes sense!

What appeals to me is the ability to get the painted finish and good power at a reasonable price. The service question is a good one, though, and I will ask.

I'm not sold on open burners over sealed, though I know a lot of people prefer them.

Also, the price for inside delivery is about $600. Still under $3k, which is a pretty good price, all things considered.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Well, here's something interesting that I stumbled across today. The names "Big Chill" and "Big Chill Pro" are registered to Prizer Painter. It seems that Big Chill is not just having its stoves made by Prizer Painter, it actually is owned by Prizer Painter.

Also found an article in PP's hometown newspaper, the Reading (PA) Eagle, where the company president stated that they were planning on expanding "the company's Big Chill product lines,"
    http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=319600

Interesting, eh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Trademark registration

This post was edited by JWVideo on Tue, May 20, 14 at 0:58

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is interesting. I wonder why they didn't just market an RNB with the color finish option?

Big Chill customer service got back to me yesterday, and Bluestar will perform all their warranty service. Not surprising, in light of what you found!

• mwkbear
    9 years ago

I just saw this on the Big Chill web site. I've heard some horrible things about Bluestar's quality though. Do you think these ranges would also be as bad? I have a BC refrigerator and I'd love to match the red with the stove.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Please don't take this mockery, but maybe your question answers itself? Aren't you hoping that somebody here can tell you that the company's putting a different brand on the product will make it better than what they sell under their other brands?

While most owners here can attest that most Blue Star products are not "horrible," the company does make some lemons just as every other manufacturer does. From reports here and elsewhere, sometimes their support and service has been very good and sometimes it has been poor to abysmal.

That strikes me as pretty much a problem with all appliance lines from all companies. It is a bigger problem with premium price brands with small market shares who don't have the funding, depth of support, experience and skill to run a full scale, high quality customer support program.

Big Chill is just a division of PrizerPainter. The BC stove is different from the Blue Stars in having smaller sealed burners rather than the larger open burners on used on PP's Blue Star line. Burners are likely to be the least troublesome and easiset to fix components. The BC has a painted top rather than the multi-component cast-iron one of the BS ranges. so the BC top can chip (like any painted stove stop when things are dropped on it) and wil show scratches you might not notice or care about with the black cast-iron of the BS models. They otherwise share components.

It is still the same company making both kinds of ranges.

There is no more reassurance than that.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 15:25

• Fori
    9 years ago

Well, it sure looks great, and its surroundings do as well. Very nice!

Thanks for the report!

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

Nice review, and this is a good looking stove.

• gobruijns
    9 years ago

I just got mine today and installed it. I have the French Blue. It's beautiful. I have a few questions about it but I think I'll reserve it for customer service instead of spamming this forum. I've never used gas before and am remodeling my kitchen so I don't know what's normal or not.

Is yours pushed against the wall? I have to have the electric hardwired or else the plug pushes the unit and inch from the wall.

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

I'd be interested in your thoughts on your (gorgeous) new range, once you've had a chance to play on it some.

• mwkbear
    9 years ago

Yes, mine is pushed up flat against the back wall. I'm not sure how the electric was done, but it probably has a plug somewhere, I think.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

You really need some kind of backsplash behind that puppy.

• gobruijns
    9 years ago

In the middle of a remodel. Backsplash is next :)

• Brian Michener
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I am in the middle of complete kitchen remodel and I'm considering a pro style range for an island installation with counter height stool seating opposite. I am very interested in the Big Chill Range as a less expensive version of a Blue Star Culinary series range. I'm trying to do as much research as possible and I wonder if anyone could comment on a few things I can't seem to figure out about these ranges.
    1. what is underneath the center grates? Is there a re-circ fan there or is it just a blank space on the stove top?
    2. Is the bottom panel on the front of the oven (beneath the door) a drawer or just a flat panel?
    3. How do you use the oven to broil vs. bake? Do you simply move the food closer to the top broiling element or is there a specific setting on the oven knob for Broil?

THANKS!
    Brian

• mwkbear
    9 years ago

@Bmichener: I'll answer your questions.

1. The center grates are just there for decoration and to make a continuous grate to slide pots from one side to the other. The top of the stove is plain stainless steel drip area under all of the grates, around the burners.

2. The bottom panel is just a decorative panel, covering some of the working parts of the stove.

3. The oven control knob has a broil setting. You turn the knob to Broil to light the broiler, just like you would any normal stove. The door should remain closed during the broiling process, according to the manual.

• Tamara Monasterio
    8 years ago

Love the french blue! I just got the basil green pro range and hood. I did not realize there was no timer when I ordered it. I guess I was too excited about the color to notice! For looks, this brand cannot be beat! I hope cooking on it is as much fun as looking at it!

• murchkid
    8 years ago

Any updates -- positives/negatives?

• averya219
    8 years ago

Yes...any updates?

• Lubeth
    6 years ago

I'd love to hear updates also. I'm especially interested in the 36" pro range.

• mwkbear
    6 years ago

Hey, I'll give an update. So now I've had the stove for 3 years and a couple of more observations. First of all I hate cleaning the thing. It isn't that easy to keep it completely spotless the stainless steel lining underneath the burners is very hard to clean without scratching it. They were a couple of burnt on spots that I tried cleaning with Bar Keepers Friend and it still ended up scratching the stainless steel. Also the grates themselves have developed rust spots on them and I don't know if that is normal but it doesn't look great. I have tried not to use any steel wool or harsh abrasives on them just soap and water but that doesn't seem to have mattered. A couple of other observations. First, the burner lighters are a little wonky. Sometimes when I turn the burner on, the solenoid will still continue to click even after the burner is lit and it can go on for 30 seconds or even a minute before it stops. Also when I am using the stove and the oven at the same time the stovetop will suddenly deform with a loud bang and sometimes will throw the ceramic burner cover off of the burner.

I guess overall I am happy enough with it I have not placed a service call because none of the issues are worth bothering to call service for. I will say that keeping the top looking like new has been a struggle that I have given up on. If I sell the house people are going to have to understand that the stove has been used I clean it but it's not going to look new anymore. If you are the type of person that needs to keep the stove looking pristine then you might want to consider another option.

On the positive side the burners cook well they are powerful and I enjoy boiling large pots of water and doing stir-frys with the power that I have. The convection oven is a dream it cooks all sorts of things really fast. The broiler is very powerful but I find sometimes when I open the door to check on the food if the broiler is on the flame will come shooting out of the oven and it's a little scary. I do not know if other people using the stove have noticed that. Would I recommend this stove to other people? Would I buy it again if I had the chance? I would have to say probably not. I would probably have sprung for the electrical upgrades so that I could have gotten a induction range instead. It looks great and that's why I really bought it so I guess I can't complain too much. It works okay with some of the quirks I mentioned. Buy one because you like the way it looks but if you are looking for a top performing stove and oven you might find others that are better.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Thanks for the report!

Mwkbear, I'd really encourage you to have that service call, however. It sounds like the range needs adjusting. It happens. You can learn to adjust it yourself, but why not get an expert in who can get it all spiffy and nice for you?

• Sam Strand
    6 years ago

I just got a big chill pro range - the burners work great, I love everything about the stovetop. However, the oven has been a HUGE issue. I bake a lot of bread, so the oven is often used at 450-500 degrees for over 45 minutes. After being on at this temp for 40-50 minutes, the sides, stovetop front and knobs are completely untouchable. I haven't been using it because I'm worried about scorching the side cabinets. I hope I can return it.

• mwkbear
    5 years ago

So I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their stove. When I turn the oven on, it takes FOREVER to heat up. First, it can take 5 minutes or more to actually light the oven. Then it seems to take forever to pre heat. But the stranger issue I have is that, intermittently, it seems that once it pre heats and the indicator light goes off, the oven won't stay hot. The light comes back on, but the oven never re-lights itself. I can "force" it to light by turning on a burner. As soon as I do that, I hear the "WHOOSH" from inside the oven and hear the gas flowing in the oven. I've called Big Chill to get service (that's a whole other matter. They seem to have hired someone in their service department who doesn't want to return phone messages). Since the problem seems to be intermittent, I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has seen this issue so maybe I can direct the repair guy?

• Esperanza Marischino
    3 months ago

@mwkbear I am considering a Big Chill induction range (electric oven). Understanding yours is a different mode, but how is your BC now, 8 years on? How often do you have to see the repair guy?

• Mark Kasindorf
    3 months ago

@esperanza I know nothing about their induction models, but based on my experience with my range, including the newer one i have now, which i am again having trouble with, i would never do business again with big chill or buy anything from blue star. Their stoves are horrid.

• Mark Kasindorf
    3 months ago

@esperanza I know nothing about their induction models, but based on my experience with my range, including the newer one i have now, which i am again having trouble with, i would never do business again with big chill or buy anything from blue star. Their stoves are horrid.

• Esperanza Marischino
    3 months ago

Thank you @Mark Kasindorf. The more I research Big Chill/Blue Star, the more leery I become. It does seem that there is a benefit in buying from a local dealer vs. directly online from the manufacturer...if there is a problem, at least you have a chance of having an advocate (one that you can go see in person) in getting the company to help. Of course, the objective is to avoid a poorly constructed stove in the first place. Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks