Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckag

Question: Fireproof wall behind Blue Star??

ckag
15 years ago

Blue Star's manual states that when using an island trim either a 6" clearance is recommended or a non-combustible rear wall extending 6" below the countertop must be used.

I am expecting my RNB 36" with grille and island trim and it should be going up against a wall. I can't bump it out 6" away from the wall - SO, what should I be doing with that wall?? I'm not exactly sure of my tile choices yet for my backsplash so I can't go ahead and tile extending that down the 6". Is there some sort of material that I could put on the wall behind the range that would be fireproof as well as flat??

Thanks for any help!!

Comments (7)

• fenworth
    15 years ago

If you're planning on tile anyway, I'd put cement backer board (e.g. durarock, hardiboard, etc.) up.

• ckag
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks fenworth! Is that the same as the "fire resistant" drywall that I think I saw at HD??
    I'm posting this in the Kitchen Forums as well so I'll provide some more information on the area behind the stove that I posted over there.

Right now the wall is drywall mounted to studs and behind that is the back of a brick chimney from a fireplace in another room.
    Sometimes I wonder if it would be good to just place it up against the studs and the brick chimney (no drywall in that 36" area) then drywall above that area so that I can tile over the drywall above the range. It seems like that would give it the air space, but then the mice would have a real open door to crawl right under the BS!! hmmm....is that a viable option??
    Does the whole back of the BS get extremely hot?? What do other professional ranges recommend for the wall behind their products?? So what have other people done??

I really appreciate all the input I can get. Thanks!!

• fenworth
    15 years ago

No, it's not drywall, but it's generally in the same section of the store. Sold under the names Wonderboard and Durarock (there may be others) it's gray cement reinforced with a fiberglass (?) mesh. It comes in 3'x5'x.5" sheets. Hardi backerboard is a different product that comes in thinner sheets. Don't know what it's made of.

I don't think leaving the space open would provide any benefit. The island trim is low so the wall is not protected from the direct heat as it would be if you had a riser.

• ckag
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your help. Think I better go to HD and look for that. I'd feel safer having that up then some sort of tile or stone or something completely fireproof just to be safe. I really do wonder what most people do and/or if all professional stoves come with that requirement or is it only the BS?? Surely if they all sit flush against the wall then they would all require that.

Thank you so much.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

fenworth has got it right, backer board behind the range as required by the spec's and to the extent you feel necessary. The 1/2 inch blends with sheetrock so you can get an even transition and not have to use backer board for the whole backsplash. Technically, if you do sheetrock covered with tile/stone/SS, above the range, you should be fine as well. The technical requirement is the 6 inches below and immediately behind the range.

I set my Bluestar (island trim) 3 1/2 inches off the wall but still used the backerboard on the framing that holds the range off the wall and the granite counter strip behind the range. Above the range is a base layer of sheetrock covered with travertine, which is just fine. My motivation to move the range out was to get the full use of the back burners for big pots. I saw it in a lot of design magazines several years ago but you don't see it showcased quite as often anymore. All I can say is that it has worked marvelously and I am forever glad I did it. In addition, the 3 1/2 inch space in back makes a great decorative/functional shelf for often used spices oils and utinsels. At each end of the range there are 3 1/2 inch reeded posts to account for the kick out. The range sits even with the posts and the granite is cut to "flare" out over the posts and to the extended range top. It looks good, uses minimal space and is VERY functional.

• cpovey
    15 years ago

Other options:

Cheap tile (it will not be visible, so why spend lots of $$$). If you got 18" tiles, minimal cutting would be required. Actually, any tile that is an even divisor of 36, like 12 or 9 or 6 would be an easy install.

A simple piece of sheet metal over the wall. Does not even need to be stainless-just a piece of 18 or 16 gauge sheet metal would do. Screw it to the studs, done. Cheap, fast, and easy.

• ckag
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I just got back from HD where I purchased a 36"x24" sheet of sheet metal and we'll put that behind the range. I'm also going to have it set out from the wall an inch or so where we can tile down to that piece of sheet metal.
    You all are the best for information!! Thanks everyone!