Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlakin

Detergent for Bosch Dishwasher

edlakin
15 years ago

We had a Bosch dishwasher in our last house and loved it. The manual said we should use Cascade powder ONLY. And Jet-Dry. So we always did and never had a problem.

Now we just got our new Bosch in our new kitchen and the stickers and manual with the new DW say that we should use ElectraSol Tablets (for best results) and Jet Dry.

Is Bosch just in bed with these detergent manufacturers, or is there some compelling reason that i should be using what they recommend? I did one load with Cascade, since we still have a box, and it came out great.

Bosch owners? What do you use?

Comments (19)

• kitdreamr
    15 years ago

I use the ElectraSol Tablets, and have had great performance. But, I suspect you're right about Bosch being "in bed" with the detergent manufacturers, and that other prodcuts would work just as well.

• weissman
    15 years ago

I have a KA and use Cascade Complete and Jet Dry and everything comes out fine (by the way that's what KA recommended). I think you're right, the DW manufacturers probably get kickbacks for the product placement. If the Cascade works fine, then I wouldn't switch. Also, my impression is that powder works better than tablets.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

I think they are in bed and rocking it. That's why detergent manufacturers can list the appliances that recommend their products. You can sometimes find this list all over the box. For example I just finished a load using Electrasol red ball tabs and the box states that it is recommended by: Whirlpool, Bosch, JennAir, Kitchen, GE.

I'm with Weissman - if Cascade powder is working why switch? I am always trying different detergents and find that most name brand detergents work well.

I do understand the caution about tabs but am not sure if my idea is valid:

Some DWs use very little water compared to others. When using a tab, unless you can break it apart, you cannot control the dosage like you can with powders. My DW even has a smaller detergent cup compared to some models so it is not expecting a LARGE dose of detergent.

For example: if your DW uses 1.5 gallons of water for the wash phase and another uses 1 or less for a wash phase what does that say about using that fixed size dose contained in the tab? Someone is getting a more concentrated hit of detergent, possibly at the expense of etching glassware OR someone is getting a diluted solution of detergent. Manufacturers want their product to work well so I doubt you are going to get a diluted solution.

I use Electrasol tabs or Cascade Action Pacs(not a tab) with their fixed dose but I only use them when I have a large dirty load, and I think Electrsol tabs do a great job on heavy soil.

With powders you can adjust the amount of detergent to the type of load(china, pots and pans, everyday dishes) and the amount of soil on your dishes. This is what I do, but as I said this is my idea and I can't perform any test to validate it.

One other caution. If you DW has cycles that use low water temps (104F to 115F) to help protect glasses from etching note that the Electrasol tab instruction says that the optimum water temp is 125F-140F. The tab doesn't dissolve well in my machine when I am using a cycle with these low water temps, although I can set the detergent type to tab which causes the machine to RUN LONGER to make sure the tab is dissolved. I am also advised not to use a tab when running one of the shorter cycles because the tab may not dissolve, so there are considerations when using a hard tab.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I was using Costco/Kirkland brand (Cascade lookalike) powder for about a month in my new Thermador/Bosch DW before the kitchen got torn up and never experienced any issues. Thermador gave me a Jet Dry sample but I haven't used it yet. I do think the tablets (any brand) are silly/just marketing.

• billp
    15 years ago

I've been using the Walmart brand of powder, their version of Cascade, for almost 2 years. It's cheap, and it's been working fine. We also use Jet Dry.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

I've been using Seventh Generation - alternating vaguely between liquid and powder. Results are perfectly fine. (My DH can't tolerate the smell of chlorine, and Seventh Generation seems to be the only one that he doesn't complain about). My Bosch is about 6 years old and working fine.

• Noshir Dubash
    6 years ago

I have been using cascade liquid and it has destroyed the glasses. I have been replacing glasses much more than our vacation rental. So I read that now I have to use citric acid to clean it then will use finish tablet which they recommend.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Clara Dubash, you're referring to etching of glassware? The common cause of that is prerinsing before loading. Dishwasher detergents are strongly alkaline and will damage/etch glassware (by leaching metal ions out of the glass) if there's not enough food soils for the detergent to "process." The detergent essentially attacks the glass instead of the food soils.

• Jakvis
    6 years ago

Ditto for what dadoes states

• Noshir Dubash
    6 years ago
    oh mu gosh. i had no idea...thank u so much
  • lovettbayne
    6 years ago

I purchased a Bosch in June and it still has a smell which also seems to be on the dishes. Is this the DW or the Finish detergent and finisher? Anyone have experience with this?

• Jakvis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Check your installation, Make sure there is a high-loop in he drain hose. Make sure your draining the water by checking under the filter, there should only be about 1-2 cups of water left in the sump. Make sure you are not pre-rinsing the dishes. Set the rinse aid to the lowest setting, Use the "Auto Cycle". Try a different brand detergent.

• lovettbayne
    6 years ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

I use a pinky nail sized spot of blue Dawn in my Bosch dishwasher and Frigidaire clothes washer with great results.

• Noshir Dubash
    6 years ago

I changed detergents..from cascade to finish. I realized that they suggested finish in a sticker.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

I have a new Bosch dishwasher. I have been using the Cascade Actionpacs in it. I have yet to put a rinse aid in it and I possibly won't as my things are coming out really nice and not water spotted and things are nice and clean. I used the same Cascade over the years in my previous Maytag dishwasher and got the same results. So far I like my new dishwasher. I have been washing up a lot of dishes out of cabinets and things are looking very good.

Sue

• arcticfam
    5 years ago

This is a late comment, but we use vinegar in the rinse. Seems to work fine and it's a lot cheaper than any commercially branded rinse aids.

• lunataz
    5 years ago
    I’ve been using Cascade pacs for 9 years to great effect UNTIL I installed a whole Home water filter. Now some of my dishes and silverware come out dirty.
    Has anyone else had this problem?