Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srs148

Anyone heard of TMIO Intelligent Ovens - Need parts and service

srs148
12 years ago

hi folks, i purchased one of those hi-tech TMIO (http://www.tmio.com) double-wall ovens about four years ago for a kitchen renovation i was doing at the time.

The oven has been great, is super user-friendly, and has some very cool features (most of which we don't use), but... of course, its giving us some errors now that indicate that the auto-locking mechanism on the top oven is malfunctioning.

Long story short, the company has gone out of business and no one seems to know how to service it or where to get parts. Has anyone else heard of this company and/or how i get service for it. I'm located in the Philly area in PA.

Huge (and obvious) life-lesson for me: don't spend big money on a high-end appliance from an unestablished company... duh... but i was lured by the feature set and, as of that point, great reviews, especially in tech magazines and web blogs. At the time they were retailing for about $6-7k and had started selling in Best Buy, so i figured they were poised to take off (i paid $2500 from a high-end builder who was going bankrupt and had those and subZs to sell off).

I even spoke with the company directly and asked about parts and service should they ever go out of business. Never! the owner exclaimed... But if we did, parts are all industry standard... Sure.

So anyway, help would be greatly appreciated as we're relegated to using the lower oven most of the time. Thanks!

Comments (44)

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

I am sorry for your problems. The owner was here on this forum way back when (I go back to 2000 in this forum, under another name), defending his product and in effect spamming us. He got called out for using some shills to hype the product, too. And when he got called on it, he was most defensive. At least you got a good price. ;-)

Wish I could offer some constructive help for you.

• srs148
    Original Author
    12 years ago

David Mansbery is the name of the owner of the now-defunct company. He tried to sell me a unit direct via phone when i was first inquiring about the product. He even offered to take $1k off of the then $8k list price. Thank god i had already located it at less than half retail price and politely declined his offer.

I have to admit that it's been a fantastic oven or us (despite the current issue) and although largely a gimmick feature, the refrigeration option on the unit has come in handy on multiple occasions when we'd pop something in the oven for a delayed start of cooking (i.e. if we were at an event for which we were having an after-party).

• antss
    12 years ago

"should they ever go out of business. Never! the owner exclaimed..."

This just goes to show you how naive David was, and yes he was/is arrogant. An acquaintance of mine from an entirely different industry (consumer electronics) said the same thing about him after meeting him.

I had several run ins with him and my main beef was that he refused to acknowledge any other point of view but his own. Not even a veiled attempt to listen. He had an interesting product but one in which there simply was not enough of a market to sustain a capital intensive business. He flat out told me I had no idea what I was talking about and said - "we'll see". Well, we have and the marketplace has spoken and crushed him like many start-ups before him that had perfectly good products.

FWIW - they surely sourced many of the parts on these ovens from other manufacturers so I'll wager that lock and heating elements are available if you know where to look.

Also, I have it that Viking snatched up what was left of the company so you might call them in MS and see if they have anything to offer. I doubt it, though. I could also be wrong on that account and they may plainly tell you that they don't know what you're talking about.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Interesting. A now-defunct company, but there's still a working web site ... even with "Purchase Online Now." Lists postal addy & phone in Cleveland, OH. It's bogus?

• plllog
    12 years ago

Dadoes, it might be an artifact. There's a lot of outdated stuff hiding on 'net servers that never get cleaned out.

A good higher end oven repairman might be able to fix it, if, as Antss mentioned, the parts came from a general supplier.

• guadalupe
    12 years ago

If you log onto appliance advisor.com then select manufacturers and scroll down to TIMO they are selling direct to consumers on-line they list a tel # of 1-800-881-TIMO and apparently seem to still be doing business Good Luck

• antss
    12 years ago

hey lupe - you probably should verify the info you are dispensing! I'll bet you whatever you like that the # for TMIO is dead.

You should probably spell the co.'s name correctly too.

It's (was) TMIO not Timo.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Well,I just called that number 800-881-TMIO.

Got an add for a party/social line.

"exciting local people want to meet YOU!" call.....

• guadalupe
    12 years ago

TMIO IS LISTED ON THE APPLIANCE ADVISOR WITH CONTACT NUMBERS AND DEALERS IN NJ, NY

• antss
    12 years ago

lupe - certainly you are not as dense or naive as to believe everything you read or see on the internet - are you?

I've also seen on the internet a site that says that all appliance salesmen are weasels and morons - is that true?

I've seen that Bin Laden is still alive - think that's true ??? Must be, " I read it on the internet".

Perhaps you should vet the companies you shill for and not just recite the party line like a sheep.

How bout doing us a favor and calling up TMIO and let us know who you talk to and what they say? How many ovens can I have delivered next week?

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

The other day I called the 800 number and like deeageux was offered some exciting locals. Then I called one of their so-called dealers local to me. Not only do they not carry TMIO anymore, I'm wondering if they ever did! "The name sounds vaguely familiar, but we don't carry it."

• antss
    12 years ago

Everyone - Mansbery and co. CANCELED all of their dealer agreements 4-5 years ago! They/he thought the slow sales were because the dealers were idiots and was in no way connected to the fact that his product was overpriced, had a closed architecture for the controls thus freezing out home automation companies like Crestron and AMX, + Control 4 that could possibly drive business to his doorstep, and it just was never going to produce the sales figures he thought.

Their collective wisdom was to bring sales in house because they were all rocket scientists and Stanford MBA's and they would show the appliance peddlars how to sell some ovens. We see how well that worked out now.

• lansa
    11 years ago

If anyone needs help repairing a TMIO oven, I will be glad to walk you through it. Just had to fix issue with door lock mechanism. Note - If you have a TMIO oven, do not use the self clean feature - lock mechanism jams and oven will no longer work.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Builder Solutions inc.

• lisabarratt
    11 years ago

Hey we are also having an issue with the door locking mechanism if anyone can help us fix it that would be great our e-mail is lisaschroer@hotmail.com thanks!

• srs148
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lansa, are you still available to provide assist with the lock mechanism? that's how our issue started.

Lisa, did you ever get help? please email me at my email addr at steve.craigslist.phl@gmail.com. Thanks!

• Libra44
    9 years ago

I wish I had seen this posting two years ago. I bought this oven new at an auction two years ago, and it's been in my foyer ever since. Although I had heard the company had gone out of business, I felt confident that my access to electricians would make installation a breeze. My main electrician even removed the existing double oven and prepared the space for the new acquisition.
    Unfortunately, none of the installation information I printed off the TMIO website gave him what he needed. He and three other electricians looked at the "book" I printed and still requested a SCHEMATIC for the oven.
    I am not an electrician, so I was certain the official- looking diagrams on the website would do the trick. BOTTOM LINE: Where do I look to find a schematic for my TMIO Intelligent Oven?

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

I am not sure why the electricians would expect you to have access to or know where to obtain a schematic, which if they were using the term correctly, is a detailed proprietary company document at component level usually not shared beyond authorized service technicians and not always with them below a senior level. Perhaps they wanted to leave and this was their "out".
    What is often provided to the trade by some companies is a troubleshooting/ wiring diagram for their loose leaf binders, although in this case, not likely.
    If you are confident the unit is "factory fresh" and has not had anyone poking around in it, you might look into doing a power on test to see if it runs ok. It is important to keep in mind various insurance quirks about who does what (mostly the policy holder in a lot of places) to minimize third party liability involvement in situations like this.

• xedos
    9 years ago

Miele provides a schematic with all of their appliances in the unit or owners packet.

Sub Zeros also have schematics affixed into all I've seen open up.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Every appliance I've ever seen has a wiring diagram as part of the tech sheet (which is usually hidden inside the appliance somewhere in an attempt to stop DIYers from finding it). And, if you can't find the paper tech sheet, there are PDF copies that the manufacturer doesn't make public on their website, but that you can find online if you look in the right places/ask the right people.

• TiffNotes
    9 years ago

Our TMIO oven is stuck in Demo Mode. Anyone else have this issue?

I think it could have been caused by a bad sensor. It started shutting off while cooking when it would hit a certain temperature.

• Helena Joergenrud
    8 years ago

Our TMIO Touch Screen is completely black but when I press the window I hear it is still working. Anyone knows if this is something that can be repaired? If we do "self-clean" on this oven the power goes in the whole house and the oven does not work if we won't do a re-start of the power in the whole house...

• rbassmd
    8 years ago

I am having the exact problem with my screen. I can even still access photos on the internet but I cannot see the control screen anymore.n I was hoping it was a simple matter of replacing the screen, but that is not turning out to be so simple...

• Helena Joergenrud
    8 years ago
    We ended up buying a new oven
  • xedos
    8 years ago

Seems like the sad , tough reality for people with these ovens is that repair attempts are futile and the only course is to buy a new oven.

• Scott Woodman
    8 years ago

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this again and would like the part for the door latch it is definitely Viking and this looks like it 035630-000 Door Latch

035630-000 Door Latch

Alternative Views:

035630-000 Door Latch

List Price: $127.77

Our Price: $95.83

You save $31.94!

Now I have no idea whether I will actually be successful in getting one but at least you know where it came from now.

• Denis Henmi
    8 years ago

Glad to see that there are still people dealing with these ovens. I just started getting an F5 error code - so neither the oven or refer works. The timer clock works, so now I have a $6,000 timer clock. When I turn the oven on I hear some clicking (sounds like a switch) before the error code shows up on the screen. Any similar problems or solutions ?

• Scott Woodman
    8 years ago

I think, maybe that you are having a problem with the locking mechanism as well - my locking mechanism jammed - it would make the switching sound for a while then shut off with the error code. After I figured out how to bypass the locking sensors (after taking out the mechanism) I was able to get it working again without the error code. It took me most of a day to take the oven apart and figure it out and put it back together. Check the mechanism - does it move at all? If not then you likely have the problem. Also you can listen for the switching sound directly below the touch screen (if your upper oven is the problem). If you want your oven back and you are not afraid of a screwdriver then take the door off, then the front of the oven and you can get to the mechanism. Up above I identified the part but I fixed it by unjamming the mechanism (tricky, but possible). I hope this helps you - good luck.

• ritzyragz
    7 years ago

Is anyone interested in purchased a new tmio double oven?

• popjan296
    6 years ago

Hello, I may be interested in purchasing this oven - is it still available?

• plllog
    6 years ago

no

• mffextra
    6 years ago

hi, I was just curious as I had not read anything on the old TMIO company in sometime till I found this site. I was the designer for that company, I did the design along with 2 engineers for the wall ovens. it was an interesting job (lol). I was a contractor that had worked in the appliance field back then. not sure why the old tmio site is still up and running. all parts where selected off current available items from different suppliers. its interesting to hear Viking bought them out after they went down the tubes. kind of funny really as Viking offered to partner with the owner to bring it to market while we developed it. comments on the owner kind of interesting (LOL again) the electronics started out of vancover while under development no telling where now.

I wonder if they ever got the refrigerated portion finished. anyone got one with a refrigerated lower oven.

has anyone bought one of these in the last few years.

• Denis Henmi
    6 years ago

We had a TMIO double oven - just replaced it, it worked only for about a year - started to get error messages. I was hoping that Viking would provide support.

We finally dumped it and replaced it with a conventional oven. When it worked, it was great, unfortunately it was short lived. The refrigeration worked great and the internet control worked well - I think the issue was the oven locking mechanism was the cause of the fault - it worked for a bit when I disabled it.

• Scott Woodman
    6 years ago

Denis, sorry to hear you could not get it working as I was hoping maybe that the info I gave might help you. I did get mine back running again - it has been with us for about 5 years now. Recently I had the screen fail but once again I was able to take the front off and poke around enough to get it back operating again. And yup, the refrigeration has worked fine for us when we needed it. Best feature - the weather on the oven when I walk into the kitchen each morning.

• white_ent
    6 years ago

Dear Scott, I too love the weather screensaver. Do you know of anyone who has access to that code? A few years ago someone updated it. They changed the weather data source from weather channel to NOAA. They sent out a message on the screensaver that a new version was coming soon. No way for us users to respond. A new weather screensaver was completed and has been working fine until last week. Now it states "weather data unavailable".

Thanks, Terry White

• Scott Woodman
    6 years ago

Yup - same for me here. I think I must have experienced the same thing as you describe in the past and I had wondered if someone poked around with the code. I have no idea how to access it or update it. But, being an old coder myself if anyone knows and can point me to it I would give it a go.

• Builder Solutions
    5 years ago

I am getting rid of my TMIO Double Oven in a few days, hit me up if you need any parts. Doors are too heavy to ship. I am in Palm Coast Florida .

• Cindy Kirby
    4 years ago

I have a TMIO and have really enjoyed it. The control screen has gone black. Any suggestions? Thank you

• Mark Mason
    4 years ago

Could be the screen or the ribbon cord. Took me weeks to find the manufacturer. Take off the panel but hold panel in hand weight will pull off ribbon, reapply ribbon connector. I have many parts, let me know if your screen or ribbon or both

Mark

• roguewarrior2
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hello,

We have a Double refrigerated TMIO and love it. It has features that no other oven on the market still has. However, recently, we have been seeing a fault code of F50. Does anyone know what that code means? TIA!!

• Scott Woodman
    4 years ago

Nope - I don't think I have that information on error codes - but just to make sure - when I get back home again late this week I'll look at what I've got and see. I'll post and let you know. Mine is still chugging along, my wife tells me we are going to need to replace it (the lower oven craps out every once in a while and I have to reset it) and every once in a while it says weather data unavailable but then it has always come back - its working today. I should name it, it has so much character and idiosyncrasies I think I consider it my personal challenge to keep it running now. I do think that the screen problems people describe are because the ribbon cable flakes out and you have to re-seat it. We did use the refrigerator a couple of weeks back and heaven help me - it worked just fine. Loud, but fine.

• HU-767353281
    4 years ago

For the black screen - it is possible the back light has burned out.

The screen has a back light at the top, and a back light at the bottom.

During assembly, TMIO only connected one of the back lights, so

look for the free 5" white and grey wire coming from the screen,

and then plug it into the edge of the motherboard.

• zeynebmagavi
    3 years ago

I am SO relieved to find this set of posts, thank you.

I have a double TMIO w/refrigeration, have used it for ten years and love it. My husband ran the self-clean and then said the oven is broken. Decided it was a fuse, ordered and replaced, but nothing. Just saw above that the door lock (which is stuck) may be the cause of the dead oven!!! So, going to attempt to take the thing apart myself this week and unjam it.

If any of you have done this and would be willing to offer me any advice, I would deeply appreciate that! EMAIL: zeyneb@mac.com

THANK YOU!!!!

• Scott Woodman
    3 years ago

If you slide something appropriately shaped into the oven door you should be able to release the latch. Hopefully that will be all you have to do. I described how to take it apart above if you have to. I struggled with it the better part of a day. If you get stuck send me pictures and I'll try and help.