Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Bertazzoni or GE Cafe

localeater
11 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and I am finally getting to convert from the electric smoothtop that came with our house to a gas range.

I cook a lot so it is a range for function and not for looks, with budget constraints. I have narrowed it down to two choices the Bertazzoni 30 master series gas range, or the GE Cafe 30 freestanding gas range.

The Bertazzoni comes with a promotion of a free range hood which is a big budget plus. I am ok with the burner capacity of the Bertazzoni but the burner configuration bothers me. The front right burner is only 3400 BTU. Why would I want such a low power burner in the front? How much power is 3400 BTU(remember I currently have electric)? Is that for simmering stock, sauce, jam? Is that enough to keep a simmer?

The GE Cafe comes with a middle fifth burner and griddle which is nice but I don't have one now and can live with out. It also has all the US electronic oven conveniences, like a temp. probe, delay start and cook time options. I like those features and currently use. However, my family is only getting smaller and so I can do without, plus the more electronics the more pieces that break and we live in the country. I was drawn to the Bertazzoni due to its all mechanical construction.

Can anyone comment on the power and usefulness of this 3400 BTU burner and on burner placement?

Can anyone comment on a comparison of these ranges?

Comments (3)